Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 05:56   #286

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
It sounds like weasel speak to me.
Sorry . . . can't help myself . . . this reminded me of this:

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel."
-- Homer Simpson
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2014, 05:56   #287

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I don't get the "fugitive from justice" part and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the issue in the states. Entering the Bahamas without checking in would be a different crime in my view. Something like illegal immigration.
I did a search on the Bahamanian Government website looking for a jail or prison inmate roster like we have here in the states but couldn't find any. Is there one?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:19   #288
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Do you need 'Clearance' from the States to enter Bahamian waters.. as a US or foreign citizen..?
Also is it not possible that news of their escapades have travelled down the InterWeb to there.. contrary to many I do believe that Forums are monitored.. bet there's a few 'Security Personnel' who are active cruisers/sailors...
Lets face it.. if something comes up that's dubious.. are you gonna stay stuhum.. or are you gonna mention it... if it concerns your job.
Damn sure there's a few CG.. Police etc on the membership

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:27   #289

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Do you need 'Clearance' from the States to enter Bahamian waters.. as a US or foreign citizen..?
Also is it not possible that news of their escapades have travelled down the InterWeb to there.. contrary to many I do believe that Forums are monitored.. bet there's a few 'Security Personnel' who are active cruisers/sailors...
Lets face it.. if something comes up that's dubious.. are you gonna stay stuhum.. or are you gonna mention it... if it concerns your job.
Damn sure there's a few CG.. Police etc on the membership
I'm sure there are. I'm USCGAux myself. Would not surprise me in the least if there were a few AD in here.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 06:50   #290

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

US citizens and US pleasure boats do not have to clear out of the US. This non-requirement creates problems for boats entering Mexico because they want a Zarpe which the US doesn't issue. So they use this form which is for commercial craft.
http://commutercruiser.com/wp-conten..._Form_1300.pdf
Foreign vessels and foreign citizens do have to clear out. I wonder if they cleared out?
I want to point out that they broke no US federal law other than possibly not clearing out. Failing to pay a judgement is not a crime so I'm pretty sure the Bahamian law enforcement wouldn't get involved with that.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34   #291

Boat: Pearson 323

Cruiser's Net » Archive » S/V Primadonna Located in Bahamas
Old 19-01-2014, 06:23   #292
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I heard somewhere that a ship had been "Pirated" in the red sea,wonder if these folks had something to do with it..They dont look like Somalis,but who knows?
Old 25-01-2014, 14:37   #293

Boat: CD25

Any news on what happened to Primadona and crew?
Old 30-01-2014, 17:47   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk View Post
... No offence meant and I didn’t imply any deliberate lack of due diligence on your part. But, again, in my opinion, the question that needed to be asked is what happens when, once we become accustomed to these ‘manhunts,’ on cruisersforum, we end up persecuting innocent people? Or publicly persecuting people that simply don’t deserve it? That was the point I was trying to make.
Well, using your reasoning, nobody on earth has a reason to hunt for anyone, or to encourage a hunt for anyone...

Not even murder? hit and run? child abuse? God forbid we could put someone under suspicion for those also...
Old 30-01-2014, 18:05   #295

Boat: Various

Their clearing in was quite suspect itself and I doubt seriously they cleared out.

As to crimes, they aren't wanted for any crime in the US and most certainly the Bahamian government does not care about their small civil issue. The local prosecutor in Oriental wasn't even interested.

If they are in trouble in the Bahama's, then it's likely over failing to clear, failure to pay a cruising fee or other crimes committed there.

Now, the assertion they have been detained or arrested is from a somewhat biased source and has never been confirmed.

They are petty thieves and annoyances, taking advantage when they can. Something tells me they probably left a trail before they reached the US. And they'll continue along the same ways. If they do get detained briefly along the way I don't think that will change a thing.
Old 31-01-2014, 05:52   #296

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Their clearing in was quite suspect itself and I doubt seriously they cleared out.

As to crimes, they aren't wanted for any crime in the US and most certainly the Bahamian government does not care about their small civil issue. The local prosecutor in Oriental wasn't even interested.

If they are in trouble in the Bahama's, then it's likely over failing to clear, failure to pay a cruising fee or other crimes committed there.

Now, the assertion they have been detained or arrested is from a somewhat biased source and has never been confirmed.

They are petty thieves and annoyances, taking advantage when they can. Something tells me they probably left a trail before they reached the US. And they'll continue along the same ways. If they do get detained briefly along the way I don't think that will change a thing.
I think you're probably right. They'll continue prevailing on good people's natural kindness and willingness to help others but word is spreading about them and their real punishment may come when they arrive in a new harbor of what they assume are potential scammees and it turns out that many cruisers and marine related businesses ashore know about them and will turn a cold shoulder to them instead of doing them "just one small favor." I'm friends with most of the owners of the marine related businesses in my harbor and I would certainly make them aware of these two if they showed up someday.
Old 31-01-2014, 07:47   #297

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I think you're probably right. They'll continue prevailing on good people's natural kindness and willingness to help others but word is spreading about them and their real punishment may come when they arrive in a new harbor of what they assume are potential scammees and it turns out that many cruisers and marine related businesses ashore know about them and will turn a cold shoulder to them instead of doing them "just one small favor." I'm friends with most of the owners of the marine related businesses in my harbor and I would certainly make them aware of these two if they showed up someday.
The information on them was fully available in Oriental and people still gave to them. They were front page newspaper, talk of the town. It was known they'd lied about how they got there, they'd begged, borrowed and stolen, they'd been arrested locally for shoplifting. There were basically two ways to be rid of them. One was to stop giving to them. That didn't happen. The other was to let them scam you out of enough money that then it was time for them to move on to the next victim and that they had the means to cruise more. This was the path taken. Frankly, I bet the townspeople would have taken up a collection if they'd known a couple thousand dollars would have gotten them to leave.
Old 31-01-2014, 08:21   #298

This thread is so, how do you say....

Old 31-01-2014, 08:26   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I say a little south Texas justice may be in order--find the dude and beat the **** out of him.

I mean seriously, you gonna let some French dude come over here and screw you like that? Could we get away with that crap in his homeland? I doubt it.
wow, I think i will stay clear of Texass !
Old 31-01-2014, 16:18   #300

lol i was just going to ask
Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna