Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 08:29   #1

ICW in late September

Are there any other boaters heading down the ICW in late September? We are newbies and would like to buddy down from Massachusetts to anywhere in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:35   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Re: ICW in late September

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
Are there any other boaters heading down the ICW in late September? ... would like to buddy down from Massachusetts to anywhere in Florida ...
No need to fret. You won't be underway more than a few days when you find you'll have more "buddies" than perhaps you would like. Along the way you will switch "gangs" as the need or desire arises, and by the time you hit Florida you will have a long list of new acquaintances (and perhaps even some new real friends).

Enjoy the ride.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:52   #3

Very encouraging... Thank you!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12   #4

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

On my first trip down to St Pete from NJ we constantly met up with others making the same trip. Some were faster, some slower, and all competed for space at the best spots to overnight. We left @ October 15 and got to St Pete by thanksgiving. We were pushing and traveled our 50 miles/day on all but the worst weather days ( about 5).

You will find yourself leapfrogging with several other boats, take advantage of the overnight stops to make some new friends who may be on the same schedule as you.

Have fun , it's a great trip.

Paul
Old 07-08-2015, 09:36   #5

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

If you’re near Annapolis in early October, there are several snowbirds who leave following the sailboat show. Many don’t leave until late October because of insurance restrictions in being too far south during hurricane season.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:43   #6

Boat: islandpacket

Stop in coinjock NC. it wil be time for a steak dinner. I've always enjoyed the food there. And its a 50 foot walk from the boat. Have a great trip.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2015, 05:22   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

There are also a couple of organized rallies down the ICW that might have space left, starting in the Chesapeake in late October. The one we’re sponsoring is the “Sail to the Sun Southbound ICW Rally” (see: Join the 'Sail to the Sun' southbound rally located in Chesapeake & Delaware Bays | Waterway Guide News Update for info). But like the comments above, going it alone is is never really going it alone. Check with your insurance, though, to see if you need to stay north of Hatteras until Nov. 1 – but there are lots of nice towns to explore (many with free docks) in the NC sounds. Happy cruising…we love the ICW journey…hope you do too.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:45   #8

I just sent an email to the Rally reply. This is exactly what we were looking for. Would you be able to guess if three weeks is enough time to get to Salem Masschutes to the jump off point in Virginia? I will sit down to do the calculations tonight, but if you already know then I can book our spot now. Thank you so very, very much!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:17   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Hi Greenbean,

The time it will take to get from Salem to Deltaville depends on a lot of factors – cruising speed of vessel, stops you plan, overnight passages, etc....

21 days to cover around 560 nm daytime only in a slow trawler or a sailboat is certainly doable, but in my opinion it's a hustle. Factor in some weather windows and enjoying places along the way. I'd try to add another week to it if you can. Moreover, I always urge people to NEVER force a schedule. If you think the numbers work and you decide to join the rally, remember you can always catch up to them if you don't make it to Deltaville in time for the start.

If, on the other hand, you have a faster boat, or you plan to overnight from Block Island to the Delaware or Chesapeake Bay, then you'd likely have plenty of time. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:40   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
... [is] three weeks is enough time to get to [sic] Salem Mass to the jump off point in Virginia? I will sit down to do the calculations tonight, but if you already know then I can book our spot now ...
It may not be my place to comment on this aspect of your planning, but here goes. If you start off your trip down the ICW by planning or "booking" specific appointments of any sort, pre-arranging meetings with friends or family, or in general narrowing your options on schedules and commitments, then you are in for disappointments and fewer "fun" opportunities.

This trip just doesn't work that way. OTOH, if you allow something like (depending on your experience, boat crew, gear, and on and on): (1) move two days and then layover one day, (2) plan 50 nautical miles per day (regardless of your boat: big boats just leave later and get to the anchorage earlier), (3) realize that there are not an infinite number of anchorages, and everyone in general uses the same ones, (4) don't count on going offshore to make miles (it happens but many trips are ruined when "he" insists on this and "she" decides to abandon ship ASAP).

After all this, look carefully at your "schedule" then multiply by 1.3 to allow the weather to do what it does. Also for best results, get onto the Chesapeake not too long after 01 September, enjoy the two best months on this magnificent Bay, and then bail out of Norfolk a bit prior to 01 November. For many boats it's then around two weeks to Fernandina at the top of Florida, and then a surprisingly longer trip to the bottom of Florida.

These comments are based on 10 or so round trips in a small sailing boat over many years. I suspect they're still valid.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:39   #11

Yup we don't want to force a schedule but I would like to lock in with you guys. It will all depend on a repair that we are waiting on. If it's finished by September 21, well join if not we'll see what happens.

Old 12-08-2015, 18:25   #12

Boat: Catalina 320

Greenleaf,

I'm on ICW in St. Simon GA. as I type. I left Norfolk Saturday 12 days ago single hand. The ICW can be a real pain if your not prepared. You need to have experienced cruisers guide you through many areas. Get information about the rock pile, Little Mud River here in Georgia. Active Captain has helped me a lot along the way but the information from other cruisers has been the best. Today at low tide through Little Mud River I bound off the bottom three times. I was warned that even in the preferred side I would only find five Ft. Of water in many areas. The kicker is that my draft is 4'3"
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:31   #13

Boat: Catalina 320

Sorry green bean , spell check came up with that.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 19:06   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1

There are several sections, especially in Georgia, that you will want to travel during mid tide and higher. These are generally very well reported. They may in some cases limit your daily mileage, as the tides might not be in sync with your schedule.

Plus you must stop at all the wonderful spots along the way for a day or two.

All part of the charm of the ICW
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 19:11   #15

I like green leaf too , maybe I'll turn over a new one I have heard that the depth is one of the most difficult parts and we have a 6' draft....nervous. I joined active captain, I have bought numerous guides and maps. This week I will start plotting the course and then I will "put it out there" to be judged and revised. Good luck hope to hear great things about your adventure!

Tags
icw