Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 16:49   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
ICW-East Coast

I wonder why everyone motors down the ICW to get to the Bahamas rather than sail out to Bermuda then head South.. (or East of the Gulf Stream then South)

Tania Aebi did the Bermuda thing. I'm thinking it would be a pain to motor all the why to Florida via the ICW

It also seems weird that when I sail back down the bay from say Onancock, I sail longitude around 76.10 down the center of the Bay to come right into Little Creek which is East of many of the Bahama Islands

Cruisers opinions?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 16:53   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: ICW-East Coast

A lot of people don't like to go out on the open ocean and the trip down the AICW is a party. Week after week of friends and restaurants.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:28   #3

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380

At times it's nice to go outside and use sails; but, when I came down the weather was not favorable. The ICW is a nice and enjoyable trip. Sometime you can raise your sails, sometimes it's not practical. I always raise my sail when I can.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 21:20   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I wonder why everyone motors down the ICW to get to the Bahamas rather than sail out to Bermuda then head South.. (or East of the Gulf Stream then South)

Tania Aebi did the Bermuda thing. I'm thinking it would be a pain to motor all the why to Florida via the ICW ?
For several good reasons. The perception is that when you go to Bermuda and then south, you're going against the Gulf Stream. And, let alone the current against you on a nice day, when there's a northerly component in the wind, against the current, it gets too rough.

All sailboats are Good Things. And all sailboats are very different, one from the other. Whatever they say, most boats and their skippers here are coastal cruisers, and this is where this shows up. When you go to Bermuda and then south, you're going on the ocean, and when you meet a storm, your boat and you had better be designed to go on the ocean very competently because you have nowhere to go but into that storm with its 20 foot high vertical waves with their curling white water tops, and screaming wind. When you go down the ICW, you're coastal cruising, which is fine, and when you meet a storm, you just turn into the nearest marina and tie up real good, easy peasy.

You're talking about Tania Aebi's first trip? Where she, as I remember, pushed away from the dock in New York harbor, immediately ran aground and had to be towed around the shoals out of the harbor?
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
For several good reasons. The perception is that when you go to Bermuda and then south, you're going against the Gulf Stream. And, let alone the current against you on a nice day, when there's a northerly component in the wind, against the current, it gets too rough.

All sailboats are Good Things. And all sailboats are very different, one from the other. Whatever they say, most boats and their skippers here are coastal cruisers, and this is where this shows up. When you go to Bermuda and then south, you're going on the ocean, and when you meet a storm, your boat and you had better be designed to go on the ocean very competently because you have nowhere to go but into that storm with its 20 foot high vertical waves with their curling white water tops, and screaming wind. When you go down the ICW, you're coastal cruising, which is fine, and when you meet a storm, you just turn into the nearest marina and tie up real good, easy peasy.

You're talking about Tania Aebi's first trip? Where she, as I remember, pushed away from the dock in New York harbor, immediately ran aground and had to be towed around the shoals out of the harbor?
Yes, she was 18 years old and it was her first solo sail I believe. From there, she sailed to Bermuda which took her like 2 weeks ....maybe 20 days.

She was worried she'd missed it and sailed to far East but she found it. She was learning celestial Nav as she went.

Also, sometimes when coastal cruising and caught in weather, you can't immediately run for a marina depending on where you are. Then you have steep, breaking waves very closely spaced. Not fun.

Most of the time on the ICW you can but in the Bay here there are areas that are to shallow to enter and you could get stuck overnight dealing with it with no where to run. (But you could possibly run your boat aground and maybe wade in depending on the marsh mud depth and the water temp)

I was thinking sailing to Bermuda in the right season when the main weather you'd have to worry about would be a Summer Squall or two. (Hopefully picking a nice weather window for the 700 mile crossing)

The slow pace (of life) though would be my biggest concern. It may be something a coastal cruiser would need to workup to with shorter open water crossings possibly
Old 06-03-2016, 04:58   #6

If trying to develop offshore skills, it makes a lot of sense. 800miles is long enough to be considered offshore but depending on conditions and boat speed, it's a reasonable 4-10 days and most cruising boats are capable of motoring 50% or more of the distance which gives people a sense they have a backup of being able to motor out of trouble (right or wrong).

If you just want an enjoyable relaxed trip where you see stuff along the way, the ICW makes more sense. Though if you are trying to develop your navigational skills, the ICW will do far more for them than an offshore voyage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:16   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
The slow pace (of life) though would be my biggest concern. .....
Back in 1972 we left the Chesapeake in June and arrived in Florida on Christmas Eve. More recently we've cut this same portion of the coastal trip down to a less exciting two months.

Of course, our "pace of life" doesn't differ by whether we're in the Carolinas or the Bahamas.

I think you're right! Sailboat cruising, coastal or offshore, allows for a slower pace of life. I would think that those looking for a fast pace would be on the 747 to Montego Bay.

....or another thought! Maybe it's not the pace of making a fast trip south, but the excitement of sailing. This I understand, but then a great day of sailing doesn't require a destination. We have spent most of our best sailing days closing the day at the same place we started.

Maybe the question is whether the goal is the voyage or the destination.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Back in 1972 we left the Chesapeake in June and arrived in Florida on Christmas Eve. More recently we've cut this same portion of the coastal trip down to a less exciting two months.

Of course, our "pace of life" doesn't differ by whether we're in the Carolinas or the Bahamas.

I think you're right! Sailboat cruising, coastal or offshore, allows for a slower pace of life. I would think that those looking for a fast pace would be on the 747 to Montego Bay.

....or another thought! Maybe it's not the pace of making a fast trip south, but the excitement of sailing. This I understand, but then a great day of sailing doesn't require a destination. We have spent most of our best sailing days closing the day at the same place we started.

Maybe the question is whether the goal is the voyage or the destination.
Wow, I need to cut this post out and frame it.

It just goes to show you how much different racing a sailboat is from cruising a sailboat and the different skill set/mind set that is needed.

That they both have to do with sailing may be one of the few things they have in common.

I'm going to attempt the cruiser mind set on my next 20 mile bay crossing rather than worrying about how fast I can do it. (on a slow boat)
Old 06-03-2016, 05:40   #9

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

Quote:

Tania Aebi did the Bermuda thing. I'm thinking it would be a pain to motor all the why to Florida via the ICW

It also seems weird that when I sail back down the bay from say Onancock, I sail longitude around 76.10 down the center of the Bay to come right into Little Creek which is East of many of the Bahama Islands

Cruisers opinions?
I understand what your saying and agree with the painfull part....although we did this trip in sept. from toronto, I could not wait to do the outside passage from NY to Norfolk, it is alot of work to motor a sailboat for days in locks and canals......but unless you have done it, you should not miss it.....the engineering and beauty along with the great towns and others in transit should not be missed.....from norfolt we went inside to cape fear and then outside to jacksonville fl.......we left toronto 6pm sept 4th and arrived in jacksonville on the 21st......it was alot of work and I belive it would be easier to go outside all the way, but its a compromise as well as my wife is not that comfortable with my skills....she is most likley correct, but I also feel I missed out alot by rushing down eastern seaboard....maybe next time I will have alot more time
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:44   #10

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: ICW-East Coast

Quote:

It just goes to show you how much different racing a sailboat is from cruising a sailboat and the different skill set/mind set that is needed.

That they both have to do with sailing may be one of the few things they have in common.

I'm going to attempt the cruiser mind set on my next 20 mile bay crossing rather than worrying about how fast I can do it. (on a slow boat)

Wow, I need to cut this post out and frame it. Do we have some actual learning here? Likely not.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:

The "slow boat" is not a factor. My 1972 six month trip from the Chesapeake to Florida was on a very swift racing designed, fin keel, Sparkman and Stephens. It's not the boat it's the choice of the crew. Even my current, and admittedly non-performance cruiser, could make the trip in one tenth of the time I choose. No, it's not the boat!

Maybe the real difference is personal freedom and time commitment. We cruise without any deadlines on the calendar.
Old 06-03-2016, 15:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Wow, I need to cut this post out and frame it. Do we have some actual learning here? Likely not.
Almost missed your post bc.

I've learned tons on CF.

I have definitely learned not to discuss sailing skills with cruisers that have never raced especially at high speeds. (or sat still on the starting line and still had to maneuver the boat)

It was my fault, and it won't happen again. It occurred to me when I mentioned I had 300 races before getting decent after moving to the Gulf Coast. I have been discussing close quarter sailing with guys that have never raced let alone in close quarters as in buoy racing on a beachcat

Buoy racing is ridiculous! You cannot compare it to cruising or discuss the sailing skills involved with them. Two different worlds.

I actually enjoyed distance racing better, but there wasn't a lot of that on the TVA Lakes where I first started sailing. (and racing)

Even with slow monohull racing like this, not many cruisers experience it. (see below. One of the best races ever where the slower boat beats the faster one simply due to the skipper and tacticians skill)

I'm all about learning cruising, and the slower pace of life these days.

Old 06-03-2016, 15:55   #13

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: ICW-East Coast

[QUOTE=thomm225;2065125]Almost missed your post bc.

I've learned tons on CF.

I have definitely learned not to discuss sailing skills with cruisers that have never raced especially at high speeds. (or sat still on the starting line and still had to maneuver the boat)

It was my fault, and it won't happen again. It occurred to me when I mentioned I had 300 races before getting decent after moving to the Gulf Coast. I have been discussing close quarter sailing with guys that have never raced let alone in close quarters as in buoy racing on a beachcat

Buoy racing is ridiculous! You cannot compare it to cruising or discuss the sailing skills involved with them. Two different worlds.
I'm all about learning cruising, and the slower pace of life these days. [Quote ...]

Good post Cap.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:36   #14

Boat: Tayana 52

We looked upon the trip from Jax to Fort Pierce down the ICW as all part of the adventure of getting to the Bahamas. Done it once, not again.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
I understand what your saying and agree with the painfull part....although we did this trip in sept. from toronto, I could not wait to do the outside passage from NY to Norfolk, it is alot of work to motor a sailboat for days in locks and canals......but unless you have done it, you should not miss it.....the engineering and beauty along with the great towns and others in transit should not be missed.....from norfolt we went inside to cape fear and then outside to jacksonville fl.......we left toronto 6pm sept 4th and arrived in jacksonville on the 21st......it was alot of work and I belive it would be easier to go outside all the way, but its a compromise as well as my wife is not that comfortable with my skills....she is most likley correct, but I also feel I missed out alot by rushing down eastern seaboard....maybe next time I will have alot more time
I guess you just have to get in the right mindset.

I've done 100 miles stretches of the ICW here and there.

Up and down the Chesapeake Bay from say a bit north of Tangier to Va Beach/Hampton.

Then Cape Lookout to Swansboro (Bogue Inlet) both on the inside and outside. Including Beaufort Inlet / Morehead City which can get pretty rough.

Gulf Shores Alabama to Destin inside and out. In and around Panama City, Ship Island etc.

Also around Ocean Spring/Biloxi in and around and out to Ship and Horn Island.

Its can get pretty narrow in some of those sections and if you are sailing at night in light to no winds (and no engine), you have to be very careful with the barges especially in the narrows between Navarre and Ft Walton Beach for example.

Tags
east coast, icw