Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 08:59   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Ibiza!

Hello all,

Been doing some searching but looking for some more current info if possible.
We're heading over to Ibiza and then onto the other Balaric islands over the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone has any info.

From what I've read things seem to be shifting from Anchorages over to moorings you need to pre-book? Does anyone have any experience with this, which sites you use to book, etc?

Any info on current anchorages would be most welcomed as well. Everyone I've heard seems to tell the same story of very packed anchorages but so far in the Med things have been quite good for us (maybe the GFC side of things?).

The other thing I can't get my head around is the pricing for marinas in the islands. No one seems to list any prices. The few bits of info I have managed to find (active captain) say things like 350 euros for one night (Ibiza town)?!
Is that right? A ten-fold price increase from the rest of Spain we've stayed at?

We have a 37' (11.3m) yacht any ideas of costs would be a great help.

Lastly if anyone has some hidden gems to share or is in the area and wants to meet up for a beer or two please let me know!

All the best, and thanks in advance,
Simon

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: Ibiza!

IbizaTown is, indeed, silly money.

I was there some 10 years ago on a 40' Bavaria and if we could have got a berth in the Marina (all taken) it would have been about 160 euro - so we anchored outside for free.

Good luck and deep pockets are needed in the season in the Balearics!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:07   #3
cruiser

There're plenty of big beautiful free anchorages, two which come to mind where I've spent hundreds of hours over the past year, Playa Salinas which is within 5k to the aeropuerto and Formentera which is only 5 miles from Salinas. No need to pre book, just show up, drop your hook and stay.

Plenty of beautiful free anchorages in Mallorca too, if you know where to look. PM me if you need some ideas, I don't want to give away all the good spots.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:13   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

http://www.balearslifeposidonia.eu/i...s%5Blang%5D=en
You need to book here. Lots of anchorages though and yes Ibiza marina will set you back 200 eu a night. Grab the Balearics cruising guide. It has all the info you will need.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:17   #5

Thanks again Monte, yep we've picked up the pilot, looks like Ibiza town is out for us then!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:32   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ibiza!

San Antonio is a good harbour to drop the anchor and get supplies then head out to a more secluded anchorage or stay overnight but it's a bit busy. Be warned the guide is wrong about the little offlying island that says you can go ashore and walk to the lighthouse. There's no landing allowed and they will write a ticket within minutes of going ashore. Beautiful anchorage though. I would head south and try find space at port roig for a night or 2. Then book a buoy on espalmador then formentera. Lots of nice anchorages all over so just pick the best for the conditions.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41   #7

Will check those out, and thanks again for your blog- it proved SO helpful to us travelling from Portugal around to where we're currently about to hop over to Ibiza.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:45   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have a great time. Wish we were there now as well. Calpe is a nice place to leave the mainland from as well. Have a good sail!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:17   #9

Boat: secondarily boatless

Hi, Simon,

yes, you heard correctly - Ibiza was the most expensive marina we ever contemplated using. Needless to say that we ended up anchoring off Formentera - paying 670 Euro for a night "without water and electricity" was not for us. They know how to keep the poorer folks out of there, and the rules are ridiculous: Amongst others, no laundry allowed on the railing...

Life Posidonia is a good alternative, but while they were completely free four years ago they have started charging a modest amount for their moorings.

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 13:25   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi: Check marina Santa Eulalia; it is in the north east of the island. Then rent a car if You want to tour the island, including Ibiza town. It is another option. If You want to anchor in beautiful places, check the east coast of Mallorca, the south coast of Menorca including Ciutadella..and, of course, visit the island of Cabrera, in the south of Mallorca( You have to ask for permission if You want to spend the night, national park). I have some pictures of the Balearics in my profile, if You want to check them.
Have a nice time...fair winds
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 13:53   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sounds like Ibiza has come up with a plan to keep out the riff-raff.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:27   #12

670 euros for a night? Never mind water and electric, they should throw in a 5 star hotel room for a week for that kind of money.

Who pays that kind of cash? I've been to Ibiza town a few times (never by boat) and while it's nice enough it isn't THAT nice.

Thanks for all the tips though, very excited to check them out over the next few weeks and if I find anything else I'll report back.

All the best,
Simon

Old 10-07-2014, 08:11   #13

Hi,

Just looking at the mooring bouys around the islands. The pilot says a lot are free for up to two days but the website I was linked to states that: "Lenght up to 14 meters: 29.10 euro per day"

Are there still free ones around for has everything moved over to payment does anyone know?

Regards,
Simon

Old 10-07-2014, 08:22   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi,Simón: still a lot of places where you can anchor for free. If You find a buoy, it is possible that you will have to pay for using it, like in Porto colon.
Regards, Agustin.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:37   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

The Life Posidona buoys used to be free but now I believe they charge about 33 euros a nite, no services & you need to reserve on line. The link was posted earlier. Those buoys are at various sites in the Balearics.

As suggested earlier, find a mooring or anchorage anywhere but Ibiza Town, then taxi or bus in to see the old town. Make sure you will be there after midnight to see the "nightlife"! I heard a couple of years back moorings in Ibiza were about 160 euro but to get in you had to offer much more, hence the silly high numbers mentioned above are apparently what some were willing to pay.

There are many fine anchorages on the islands, free. Sadly, Andraitx no longer allows anchoring but the Club de Vela is very nice & offers buoys or moorings.

East Coast Mallorca has many lovely anchorages & good marinas too. Be sure to get a permit for Cabrera & visit for a couple of nights. Caib.es will take you to their site. Cabrera is no longer free but at 22.70 euro for 12-15 m per night it isn't expensive, is safe & lovely.

Any questions, pm me.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote