Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 11:47   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: "I/WE Intend to spend most / rest of my life on the yacht"

There was a fellow in Pensacola that had the perfect setup for a sailor. An apartment on the water, dock at the apartment with very low slip fees, and a Cape Dory 30.

He longed for the cruising life though so finally he quit his job, sold his car and many of his belongings (furniture etc) and sailed away.......to southern Florida.

In a couple months, he was finished with that life and back at the apartment dock to begin again.

He had to buy another car, get a different slip, buy new furniture.

It would have been much better just to keep everything and try the life for a couple months first.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 11:47   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

My wife and I have spent time all over the world. Both of us were military brats and grew up during an age when families traveled together. After marriage we kept moving. Paris was great. I spent three years in Japan during the fifties. Yes, variety is the spice of life.
I have spent years living on boats. I still would but seeing 70 soon my wife no longer wants any part of it again.
The law of diminishing marginal utility. Everything gets old.
Follow your dream until it is replaced by another. Don't let other people determine your life.
You won't regret doing it but you will regret not doing it.
Weather is critical. A stormy winter in the San Juans was less enjoyable.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:51   #18

Boat: Catalina 320

I would hate to make that mistake also. Two years ago I sold my home and business to retire early. I know how much I love living on board but my wife wasn't so sure. My first purchase was a smaller condo west of Ft. Lauderdale as a backup. With condo prices still depressed the cost is about the same as a storage unit. I also went with a smaller boat to make sure I could handle it alone with my limited sailing experience. If it works out in a couple years we can always buy a larger sailboat, and ill have the additional experience need to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There was a fellow in Pensacola that had the perfect setup for a sailor. An apartment on the water, dock at the apartment with very low slip fees, and a Cape Dory 30.

He longed for the cruising life though so finally he quit his job, sold his car and many of his belongings (furniture etc) and sailed away.......to southern Florida.

In a couple months, he was finished with that life and back at the apartment dock to begin again.

He had to buy another car, get a different slip, buy new furniture.

It would have been much better just to keep everything and try the life for a couple months first.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:25   #19

Boat: Baba 40

Moved aboard three years ago and paring down wasn't <gulp> difficult. As noted, there will come a day when you move back ashore and you'll want some of the 'old' stuff around as company. Decide what's really a treasure and store it somehow. You'll be glad you did.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:55   #20

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

I have never owned a house/unit/real estate; my husband did for a short time, and says never again. We have been live-a-board cruisers for nearly 2 decades and still do not want to leave our home (yacht). We don't even like house-sitting! Now in our 60s we still look forward to more cruising and remember how many very fit older people we have met over the years. Did the sailing keep them fit? Is it a mindset? We once met a fascinatingly funny solo sailor named Rudi. He had been diagnosed with terminal cancer but still sailed. Months later, he was found deceased on his yacht; his son said that was what he would have wanted. That's my kind of exit plan.
Old 16-11-2015, 15:38   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
I have never owned a house/unit/real estate; my husband did for a short time, and says never again. We have been live-a-board cruisers for nearly 2 decades and still do not want to leave our home (yacht). We don't even like house-sitting! Now in our 60s we still look forward to more cruising and remember how many very fit older people we have met over the years. Did the sailing keep them fit? Is it a mindset? We once met a fascinatingly funny solo sailor named Rudi. He had been diagnosed with terminal cancer but still sailed. Months later, he was found deceased on his yacht; his son said that was what he would have wanted. That's my kind of exit plan.
Living aboard definitely keeps one more fit. I normally gain 20lbs when I move ashore. Not doubt lazy but still.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 15:38   #22

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

We have lived aboard nearly 20 years. We have cruised 95,000nms and have no intentions of giving up the lifestyle as long as it is fun and we have the ability to sail safely. For the first 4 years we rented our large house - the tenants wrecked it, so we sold and have had no home base for 16 years. Only last year we purchased a unit with 340 degree water views. No we do not intend to swallow the anchor, but it is a base we can go back to if the unforseen happens. Do not lock in your plans.

Cruising is about being flexible and enjoying the lifestyle, the people you meet and the experiences you gain while travelling. We tend to follow the unbeaten path, visiting marinas rarely and enjoying nature in all its glory.

Best wishes with your future plans.
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 15:47   #23

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
"I/WE Intend to spend most / rest of my life on the yacht"

How many got this on your mind ? How to Deal with this big life question ?

Some say! You're out of your mind, it will never hold more then 1-2-5-10 years, and you want ground under your feet again sooner or later...

what's going on in your mind, about this ?

or tell your story
I'm about to set off. But the plan is for a few years only. Lots of sailors can't give it up and continue on for a long time. I recently met some one who lived aboard for 40 years. He was only ashore for a few month's and was preparing to get back afloat at 73. Who knows maybe I will be the same if my health holds up..The call of the sea is Strong.
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 18:00   #24

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Been living aboard since june 1995. Hope I can continue another 20 years. I am now 77 and single handed so I decide every year what I will do next year.

There are many single handed men in every anchorage. It can be hard on couples. Please be careful of that.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 18:29   #25

Boat: Hudson 50

I've had a dream to go sailing for many years. The dream has given me a lot of comfort as I pursued my career, put in long hours, raised my children and prepared for retirement. I've had some great fun along the way too- fixing up old boats, taking family sailing vacations and crewing for others. Finally a few years ago with my kids grown and finished college, I sold my house gave most of my furniture to my kids and bought a big old cruising ketch. I've been restoring her system by system ever since and really enjoying the process. I plan to head to Mexico in 2 years and then who knows where I'll go from there. I'm just going to go with the flow. I'm am getting a little long in the tooth so I will probably need to take on some crew for longer passages. I may also stop from time to time to work or visit family or just explore the local scenery. Sailboat dreams come in all sizes and shapes. I'm not sure how far I'll go or for how long but the dream has already paid me big dividends along the way. It's also cheaper than a Psychologists' couch and the view is better!
Old 16-11-2015, 18:41   #26

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandeep View Post
I've had a dream to go sailing for many years. The dream has given me a lot of comfort as I pursued my career, put in long hours, raised my children and prepared for retirement. I've had some great fun along the way too- fixing up old boats, taking family sailing vacations and crewing for others. Finally a few years ago with my kids grown and finished college, I sold my house gave most of my furniture to my kids and bought a big old cruising ketch. I've been restoring her system by system ever since and really enjoying the process. I plan to head to Mexico in 2 years and then who knows where I'll go from there. I'm just going to go with the flow. I'm am getting a little long in the tooth so I will probably need to take on some crew for longer passages. I may also stop from time to time to work or visit family or just explore the local scenery. Sailboat dreams come in all sizes and shapes. I'm not sure how far I'll go or for how long but the dream has already paid me big dividends along the way. It's also cheaper than a Psychologists' couch and the view is better!

Very nice sir....Fair winds to you.

Back in my early teens I got my 101 on mission bay sailing the sunfish’s and hobie, flash forward to 1996 me and my wife are on vacation in St.John (Trunk bay) and I notice a yacht anchored in the bay which started a conversation and a thought process of living on a boat in the islands. At that time that was never a reality until 3 years ago thinking I had lost my job and searching for resolution to providing for my wife and recently divorced daughter who moved back in. The past 3 years have been the same dream, last year I got my 103 and 104, a few months ago I bought my semi-project and plan to re-fit her system by system and be livingaboard by this time next year!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 18:57   #27

Boat: Beneteau 473

Several years ago my parents retired, sold their home, gave away land bound possessions with the special ones going to close family members. They took off on their custom made ketch cruising the eastern seaboard down to the Caribbean for over three years and would have kept going. But mom got sick and couldn't live aboard anymore. They moved ashore swearing never to live in cold climate,again. Yep, Florida. They very graciously asked us all for those cherished possessions back and we all...well except maybe one...gladly gave them back. All is well. They did it while they could and loved every day. I think they're pretty happy to have their stuff back.
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 19:03   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
"I/WE Intend to spend most / rest of my life on the yacht"

How many got this on your mind ? How to Deal with this big life question ?

Some say! You're out of your mind, it will never hold more then 1-2-5-10 years, and you want ground under your feet again sooner or later...

what's going on in your mind, about this ?

or tell your story

Sea Hunter, you have to ask yourself just how relevant the question of length of time is to you. Have you ever really set a course in life for any predetermined period and have it come out exactly as you planned? Why not try "this is what I am going to do now" and not worry so much about "later"?

Yes, we are selling all our stuff. Yes we will move aboard. But we sell our stuff to fund the adventure and lighten the worry. Look around you...how much of your stuff is really relevant? Technology goes out of date, furniture can be had anywhere. Tastes in bric-a-brac changes. Most stuff is not irreplaceable. It's just stuff. Sure, some hold on to heirlooms and family memorabilia. But the rest is just stuff.

Not everyone can take that attitude. But if you can let go of most of it, you do find more stuff.

Most folk have so much stuff they are drowning in it. A house full, a garage full, a basement full, maybe a shed or rented unit too. How much of it do you really use? How much of really gives you pleasure? Don't the walls of pictures, nic-nacksand decorations just blend into the background? Do you sit on all your chairs? Do you wear all of your clothes? Most people don't. They move from bed, to shower, to kitchen, to living room and use, really use with joy about 10-15% of all that stuff. Favorite clothes too, while the rest languishes, out of date, I'll fitting etc. I'll just best that approximate 15% of your stuff will fit very nicely on a good cruising boat.

And when you are done, in 1 year or 40, you can find more useless stuff to fill any number of rooms.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 06:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Sea Hunter, you have to ask yourself just how relevant the question of length of time is to you. Have you ever really set a course in life for any predetermined period and have it come out exactly as you planned? Why not try "this is what I am going to do now" and not worry so much about "later"?

Yes, we are selling all our stuff. Yes we will move aboard. But we sell our stuff to fund the adventure and lighten the worry. Look around you...how much of your stuff is really relevant? Technology goes out of date, furniture can be had anywhere. Tastes in bric-a-brac changes. Most stuff is not irreplaceable. It's just stuff. Sure, some hold on to heirlooms and family memorabilia. But the rest is just stuff.

Not everyone can take that attitude. But if you can let go of most of it, you do find more stuff.

Most folk have so much stuff they are drowning in it. A house full, a garage full, a basement full, maybe a shed or rented unit too. How much of it do you really use? How much of really gives you pleasure? Don't the walls of pictures, nic-nacksand decorations just blend into the background? Do you sit on all your chairs? Do you wear all of your clothes? Most people don't. They move from bed, to shower, to kitchen, to living room and use, really use with joy about 10-15% of all that stuff. Favorite clothes too, while the rest languishes, out of date, I'll fitting etc. I'll just best that approximate 15% of your stuff will fit very nicely on a good cruising boat.

And when you are done, in 1 year or 40, you can find more useless stuff to fill any number of rooms.

Short : my "problem" are im self employed (same biz in 26 years) and if I want to stop up / take long brake im not abel to start up again easy, so it a hard choice (also got big house etc., wife who work for me, "small" kid 9yo)...

Im 47yo but really like to try out some new in life, im burn out with the same living place, same job, same all, and on some way im not this kind of person, I like to explore new stuff and be entrepreneur... But what we do now are sure and safe... Do we have the balls to "sell all" and try out new living way hmmmm where do we end up with... The plan from now are when I get 50/51 close all down and sail out in the blue (from Denmark) I think 2-3 years are easy to spent around the world, but if I know me right, I want to make some "work" again, but not the same like before. But what do a 50yo+ man of new stuff hmmm I dont know yet. If I was only "30" it was no problems
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 06:32   #30

Boat: Island Packet 420

I am in the process- perhaps a little more difficult because I am a single woman. But I have decided I gotta do what I really want to do regardless of having someone to share it with or not. I have plans to sail my boat across the pond next spring, liveaboard, and cruise the Med. I just can't see staying landbased for the rest of my life.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht