Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 08:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423
I want to sail around the world... for charity

I'm planning a world cirumnavigation starting January 2015. I'm considering some final options for the boat and expect to purchase it in the next 1-2 months. I'm most likely going to go with my girlfriend, and we're trying to brainstorm ways to make this trip a charitable cause.

I'm trying to get inspired with a specific cause or way of approaching it, so I'd like to hear some ideas or other stories that might serve as inspiration.

We're not trying to break any records here, but we would like to know how we can give back a little since we feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to embark on a trip like this.

Thanks
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 08:58   #2
cruiser

Re: I want to sail around the world... for charity

I know people have different goals, but why not plan on spending some time in various places and enjoy the trip rather than your goal being to get all the way around? Then you can take the time to get to know the locals and help out where the help is needed along the way.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I know people have different goals, but why not plan on spending some time in various places and enjoy the trip rather than your goal being to get all the way around? Then you can take the time to get to know the locals and help out where the help is needed along the way.
I'm not looking at cruising as a lifestyle, but as a 2 year max adventure.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:04   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440 OV

Good for you

Why not look at a really big version of this - Pack For A Purpose // Small Space. Little Effort. Big Impact.

Essentially they encourage people to take pens, pencils etc with them in their packing and then give it to local schools etc...

You could pack half the boat with pens and pencils and then give to kids as you travel.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I want to sail around the world... for charity

Choose with care as most of the major 'Charities..??' eat up 95%+ in administration costs.. self before others being the motto at the top.. despite the many volunteers giving their time and efforts for free..
There are in the UK currently private Islamic Charities running Aid for Syrian refugee's overland by trucks with all funds donated being used solely for the purchase of relief items.. tents, blankets, medicines etc:

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:09   #6

Sounds like the start of an awesome adventure! I recently read an amazing article about a couple who sailed the world delivering books to children at every stop along the way. They would collect donations and used books and give them out as they traveled, sounded like a really great way to make a difference in the world!

Also - don't forget to check us out on Facebook!
JDs Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:17   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Drifters View Post
Good for you

Why not look at a really big version of this - Pack For A Purpose // Small Space. Little Effort. Big Impact.

Essentially they encourage people to take pens, pencils etc with them in their packing and then give it to local schools etc...

You could pack half the boat with pens and pencils and then give to kids as you travel.

we did that when we left for central america and ended up giving them to an orphanage in the rio dulce -- the kids have all that stuff and really kinda looked at us funny when we gave them out -- some countries give the kids backpacks full of school supplies on day 1 -
we would not do it again
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:18   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

just read the first posting to the admiral -- her response -- ah another wanna be with no money and wants someone else to pay for their life aboard
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:19   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Exactly...No need to complicate anything. If the OP is from the US and I suspect this is so, then no matter where you go, you will find people less fortunate than yourself.
Here in La Paz, Mexico, there is a Rotary club which sponsors children that are poorer than poor, who up until now, never saw past the 4th grade. Now thanks to the varoius drives these clubs do and the generation of thousands of dollars, these kids finish High School and a few off to college. The beautiful thing is many of them come back with great jobs and help out. With efforts like these, poverty in Mexico is addressed well. And...there is a lot more to do.
The OP could simply travel down the west coast with a load of used children's clothes. I know that you can buy clothing for $1 a pound at Goodwills. So $100 could clothe all the children in a small village.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Choose with care as most of the major 'Charities..??' eat up 95%+ in administration costs.. self before others being the motto at the top.. despite the many volunteers giving their time and efforts for free..
There are in the UK currently private Islamic Charities running Aid for Syrian refugee's overland by trucks with all funds donated being used solely for the purchase of relief items.. tents, blankets, medicines etc:
Yeah, I'm well aware of htat, it's unfortunate. I've thought about researching orphanages along the coasts, but since a lot of these places don't have internet, it doesn't seem like something I can realistically plan out ahead of time.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:23   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Drifters View Post
Good for you

I'll definitely be looking further into this one.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:25   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we did that when we left for central america and ended up giving them to an orphanage in the rio dulce -- the kids have all that stuff and really kinda looked at us funny when we gave them out -- some countries give the kids backpacks full of school supplies on day 1 -
we would not do it again
They're kids at the end of the day... pencils aren't exciting. But if you mix them up with toys, perhaps it'll be more interesting. I like the backpack idea with a little "kit" for this kids.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
just read the first posting to the admiral -- her response -- ah another wanna be with no money and wants someone else to pay for their life aboard
huh? This is specifically what I *don't* want to do. I see a lot ofr fundraisers, but it seems like people use it to buy boats and for themselves

I already have my budget and my well earned money. I'm looking to take advantage of my vantage point and the fact that I'll be travelling through these communities to make some sort of an impact, I don't need anyone to pay for my trip.

Maybe I understood you wrong...
Old 17-12-2013, 09:33   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
They're kids at the end of the day... pencils aren't exciting. But if you mix them up with toys, perhaps it'll be more interesting. I like the backpack idea with a little "kit" for this kids.
I think that perspective might come from kids that live in an entitled country. Some of the really poor kid here in Mexico, share a pencil and share paper. Bathroom stalls without doors. So you could imagine the joy when a child would have his/her own pencil and own pad (let alone a piece of paper). Or a young Gringo installing a door on a Banos!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:56   #15

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Might want to talk to churches as many give support/missionary to different areas. We belong to Four Square a national non denominational church, that send aid, people, supplies to need areas of the world. My wife is a nurse and has gone on several trips. We have to pay the air fare and living expense but the church supplies the aid/supplies.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world, sail