Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37   #91

Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
"... The US has millions of Mexicans, among others, who do not want to assimilate the culture let alone learn English.
It would be interesting to know the data source for such a strong statement. Seems to me to be BS.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:48   #92

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
It would be interesting to know the data source for such a strong statement. Seems to me to be BS.
One only needs to visit Miami. There are tens of thousands of Cubans who left their island hell to come to America = they never learned the English language and never will.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:50   #93
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Originally Posted by Teknav
"... The US has millions of Mexicans, among others, who do not want to assimilate the culture let alone learn English."

That actually has more to do with the state of our failed public schools that gets extra money for each and every non english speaking kid they can put on the list. All the Mexicans I know want their kids to learn english, just like my Italian grandparents wanted my folks to learn english when they came to America after WW2. Big Education however, would rather have the extra money and sing about the glory of Multiculturalism.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:00   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Personally, my wife and I have been robbed in Mexico twice and don't plan to go back, and have maintained that it is a wonderful place with nice people, right up until...
My Mexican co-worker also expressed dismay at the amount of crime in certain places/times. It's not just Mexican-gringo, it's Mexican-Mexican too.

Is it worse than other countries with poverty and elevated petty crime? I don't have the experience to say. But we all know that there are places in the US and most other 1st world countries that an affluent foreigner (or local) wouldn't be safe in either.

It must also be understood that affluent foreigners living a dream lifestyle at low cost will always be targets of resentment. The locals know that their depressed economy is enabling 1st worlders to live a better lifestyle than they could in their native country. Just think how Americans would feel if their economy really tanked, unemployment skyrocketed, and foreigners swooped in, buying up all the choice coastal properties. The only way to counter this is to "go native' as Zee and others apparently do, or be courteous, respectful and keep a low profile. I don't think one can be a rich gringo and NOT attract some resentment.

In my opinion, the single best way to help Mexico reduce criminal activity would be to end the fruitless US "War on Drugs". Crime needs customers, and Mexican crime thrives as the logistics company for illegal drugs into the US. If the US can move from a punitive to a harm-reduction model for drug interdiction (think Europe), drug prices and illicit demand would drop, and many Mexican gangs would be out of work. The Colorado experiment with pot will hopefully demonstrate whether a softer approach is beneficial or not.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05   #95

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

All this talk about Mexico so early in the morning makes me want an order of. Huevos rancheros.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:15   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
One only needs to visit Miami. There are tens of thousands of Cubans who left their island hell to come to America = they never learned the English language and never will.
The original statement was about Mexicans. Paraphrasing you, one only needs to go to LA to see how many Mexicans speak perfect English.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
[Failure of assimilation] actually has more to do with the state of our failed public schools that gets extra money for each and every non english speaking kid they can put on the list. All the Mexicans I know want their kids to learn english, just like my Italian grandparents wanted my folks to learn english when they came to America after WW2. Big Education however, would rather have the extra money and sing about the glory of Multiculturalism.
I'm told the difference between the US and Canada with regards to foreign languages and cultures is that the US is a "melting pot" (assimilation) whereas in Canada, the approach is multiculturalism. This was seeded in Canada right from the get-go, when Canada was formed from two distinct groups - English and French.

This isn't to say that people don't need to to learn English or French, rather it's a recognition that it isn't necessary to force people to shed their original heritage to be Canadians. With immigration, you will always have the old folks clinging to everything old, but you absolutely cannot stop the young'uns from embracing and mastering the language and culture of the new home country. ESL (English as a second language) classes are always packed. This seems to work better in the long run, and this approach in Canada and elsewhere has resulted in a very relaxed and easy acceptance of other cultures into the Canadian "mosaic" (I hate that word tho), and diversity without resentment.

Education... tough issue. Maybe if people hated on teachers less... but they always seem to be held up as poster children for government ineptitude.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:31   #98
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Education... tough issue. Maybe if people hated on teachers less... but they always seem to be held up as poster children for government ineptitude.
It's not the Teachers....
It's the Administrators and Teacher Unions...
The teachers are the only thing holding the failed system together!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The teachers are the only thing holding the failed system together!
omg. On this, we agree. Noting in diary. With 3 stars.

Now, your school boards are elected (ours too), no? I would argue you need to make school administration less volatile; less populist, more professional.

And that one wacky Texas school board is dumbing down the rest.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:58   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
The original statement was about Mexicans. Paraphrasing you, one only needs to go to LA to see how many Mexicans speak perfect English.
If by LA you mean Los Angeles California, you are sorely mistaken.... Oh sure there are people of Hispanic heritage that speak perfect English...

BUT... There vast and numerous areas in Southern California where Spanish is the primary language...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:09   #101

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
I'm told the difference between the US and Canada with regards to foreign languages and cultures is that the US is a "melting pot" (assimilation) whereas in Canada, the approach is multiculturalism. This was seeded in Canada right from the get-go, when Canada was formed from two distinct groups - English and French.

This isn't to say that people don't need to to learn English or French, rather it's a recognition that it isn't necessary to force people to shed their original heritage to be Canadians. With immigration, you will always have the old folks clinging to everything old, but you absolutely cannot stop the young'uns from embracing and mastering the language and culture of the new home country. ESL (English as a second language) classes are always packed. This seems to work better in the long run, and this approach in Canada and elsewhere has resulted in a very relaxed and easy acceptance of other cultures into the Canadian "mosaic" (I hate that word tho), and diversity without resentment.

WHAAAAT.....Since when was Quebec part of Canada ?????????? LOL
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:10   #102

Asians and Europeans learn English readily when they come to the US. Latins in general and Mexicans especially get an attitude and refuse to learn the lingo. If they do they will not willingly speak it. No education system will change their attitudes toward the US or their hatred of gringos and it certainly won't stop the RECONQUISTA
Seafrontiersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:12   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
If by LA you mean Los Angeles California, you are sorely mistaken.... Oh sure there are people of Hispanic heritage that speak perfect English...

BUT... There vast and numerous areas in Southern California where Spanish is the primary language...
That'll be the Cabernet, Shiraz, Chardonnay regions I presume..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:27   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Originally Posted by Teknav
"... The US has millions of Mexicans, among others, who do not want to assimilate the culture let alone learn English.

Quote:
If you search with GOOGLE.... You will see a result from WIKIPEDIA that states "Los Angeles and surrounding areas" have a Spanish speaking population of 37%" MORE THAN 1/3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Cap- percentage of spanish speakers LA.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	73662  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:33   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Is it worse than other countries with poverty and elevated petty crime? I don't have the experience to say. But we all know that there are places in the US and most other 1st world countries that an affluent foreigner (or local) wouldn't be safe in either.

It must also be understood that affluent foreigners living a dream lifestyle at low cost will always be targets of resentment.
The first time we got robbed, we were camping in an old tent at a well-populated Mexican campground on the beach. I doubt we appeared affluent to the locals (the local being a drunk guy with a knife in the middle of the night).

BTW: There was a happy ending to the story. We were younger and stupider at the time, so my wife and I wrestled the thug to the ground and got our money back... but the local Mexican police wouldn't do anything. You're on your own down there if and when you get into trouble. But come to think of it... you're right, it's the same around here in Massachusetts.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, mexico