Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 17:47   #61
cruiser

Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

I do not believe that Lat 38, this forum, or any other media coverage is in any way "stirring the pot". By calling media or any other attention to this issue "stirring the pot" you imply that media censorship of the issue would be a better approach. Frankly that's BS, and not how the world works. Media, forums, blogs, TV, radio, papers, these venues ask questions and provide answers. It may not be your choice but it's reality. Zee - you are the the only one stirring the pot here and are not being helpfull in anyway. It's getting very old.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 17:58   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

I don't recall any mention of 'Media Censorship'... objection to racist and bullying posts.. yes..!!
But I suppose like everything... it comes down to an individuals opinion of what is right and what is wrong..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 18:01   #63

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Zeehag,

you said:
"you will need to go way back to visas and also go to the first postings in impoundment of boats in mexico..john hands..friends name was so grossly misspelled by lat 38..released his boat early on and was splainedloosey to you and us all in lat 38 magazine and lectronic version. i wonder why no one can remember reading that..."

I am sorry that I am unable to use the search and browse function on this forum as well as I would like. I did search ALL your posts in all the threads that I can find that mention boat impoundment. I can find no description made by you that describes John Hand getting out of impounment.

Again - I am sorry I can't find your previous description of how a boat that was impounded was able to get off the embargo list.

There are quite a few boats here in San Diego that want to head south and we would all appreciate it if you AGAIN post a step-by-step procedure that you personally know will get a boat with perfect and adequate paperwork off the embargo list.

You are the only person on any thread in any forum that seems to know exactly what to do when unfairly embargoed so PLEASE spend a few minutes and tell us what to do if are boat is embargoed AND we have all necessary documents and do present those documents to the proper authorities.

Your knowledge of TIPS and cruising documents and experience, if shared with the Mexican cruising community, would be of great value.
TS,

I believe that you are in fact asking the wrong question. What is important at the moment is not who is getting off the list but who is being added to the list. As far as I have heard there are no new additions. I think that it would be wise to double check your papers and if possible wait a bit for the dust to settle before heading to Mexico.

I suspect the reason way people are unable to get off the list is do to the perception of corruption. Removing vessels from the list without a clearly defined set of criteria, and a well defined process might have the appearance of corruption. I would think that such a perception would be something any Mexican official would seek to avoid. This could be way it appears to be taking so long to resolve this unfortunate situation.

Again, as far as anyone knows there have been no new inspections and no new vessels being restricted in their movements. I am suggesting that these are very positive developments.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 18:01   #64

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I do not believe that Lat 38, this forum, or any other media coverage is in any way "stirring the pot". By calling media or any other attention to this issue "stirring the pot" you imply that media censorship of the issue would be a better approach. Frankly that's BS, and not how the world works. Media, forums, blogs, TV, radio, papers, these venues ask questions and provide answers. It may not be your choice but it's reality. Zee - you are the the only one stirring the pot here and are not being helpfull in anyway. It's getting very old.
Once again we have trolls stirring the pot.

At least Zee is speaking from first hand experience with the issues at hand. Not a lot of other folks speaking out from south of the border that I see.

It seems that this "wave" of impounded boats stopped almost as soon as it started.
Old 09-01-2014, 18:05   #65
cruiser

Several posters seem to think that the AP article coming up, this forums chat and the Lat 38 coverage is making the problem worse. Maybe that's true, but tough ****. The free press is just that free press. and in the long run we are better off having 200 versions of what's going on, than having none.
Old 09-01-2014, 18:10   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Several posters seem to think that the AP article coming up, this forums chat and the Lat 38 coverage is making the problem worse. Maybe that's true, but tough ****. The free press is just that free press. and in the long run we are better off having 200 versions of what's going on, than having none.
Yet you are basically trying to get Zee to not give her version. You cannot have "free press" that only says what you personally want it to surely.

Coops.
Old 09-01-2014, 18:10   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
This thread needs to calm down a peg or two. Zee, it is NOT NICE to call your countrymen "Gringos"; it's degrading and shameful.

I have visited Mexico several times over the past 6 years, without a single issue. In fairness, some stuff that I have seen is not what I am used to seeing in the US. Government related issues take "forever" to resolve and "settle". "Greasing" your way out of a jam is blatantly expected; doable though. Despite its oil and tourism revenues, Mexico is a very poor country.

Nothing will be served by adding fuel to the fire. Patience is needed until all of the impounded boats are released. Once this is finalized, the end result should tell us whether to continue doing business with Mexico or not. In the meantime, let us sit tight and wait until this mess is resolved. Cool heads always prevail.

Mauritz
Slow down, McGuillicuddy!
Lot a poor people but I believe the "country of Mexico "is fairly rich..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 18:12   #68
cruiser

I resent being called a troll just because your opinion differs from mine. I'm sick to death of Zee's ranting. Maybe calling people a troll is the new way to troll?
Old 09-01-2014, 18:18   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah.. well... we're well used to 'Story's' from your way... the escalation..
and the inevitable fallout..
But.. like you say.. 'Tough ****'

100/1 says you'd be outraged if I said 'Tough ****' for the cruisers..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 09-01-2014, 18:19   #70

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
The troll comment was intended as descriptive of one that attempts to incite. Also called a " flamer".

If you are indeed insulted I offer you an apology and a request that you avoid disparaging comments towards Zee,

I enjoy her posts.
Old 09-01-2014, 18:48   #71

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Seems like you west coast of Mexico cruisers sure have some self made problems!! All we have to do is have a Zarpe, and pay our fees and all is OK !! never have a problem !! But then most of us have to deal with a tough person in Isla M!! And if your papers not right your in for some REAL Problems !! I sure think that folks talking about false papers and such has caused most of your problems !! If your fees are paid and the papers are properly dispalyed theres no problems !! And come on guys if yall don't think that Mexican officials don't use the internet, than your sure living in a funny world !! We have cruised both coasts of Mexico and spent many many mounths in the sea of Cortez, always paid or fees and NEVER had a problem yet !! But then we don't write stupid stuff online where it can come home to cause us trouble !! How come us old pukes can do it and have no problems?? Maybe it's the same old thing of folks trying to save a dollar by messing around !! Heck Zee has no problems! and we don't, and all we do is pay our way and have fun !!
Old 09-01-2014, 19:39   #72

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I FOR ONE would love to see the list of impounded boats and owners.
Maybe my old boat is listed?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:46   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I FOR ONE would love to see the list of impounded boats and owners.
Maybe my old boat is listed?
Ditto likewise.. we hear 380... yet for all the Bruhah there's only about 5 or 6 we know of... maybe I should wander over to SA and a couple of other sites and do a count.. see if there's any 'new faces'...

Old 09-01-2014, 20:13   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
The free press is just that free press. and in the long run we are better off having 200 versions of what's going on, than having none.
This is why these type of discussions spiral out of control...who in the world was talking Censorship...or the Free Press...or the proper way to tie a nautical knott or the magna carta for heaven’s sake! 200 different stories and opinions is exactly what we have and why in the world would anyone want that mess? We also know EXACTLY what is going on in Mexico..we may not like it....but we know exactly what has happened.

Mexico rightfully wanted to inspect boats to make sure they had the correct paperwork, no problem.

The inspectors, most likely due to ignorance, didn't know what they were doing and put boats with correct paperwork on the "can't leave the port list" until the paperwork is checked and verified.

We now have to wait for Mexican Officialdom to go through the process of cleaning up the paperwork mess, which will take longer than it should, be a pain in the ass, and piss people off.

Done...that's it in 3 sentences.
No bribes or attempted Mordida
No corruption
No targeting of "bad Gringos"
No sending people to GITMO without trial or legal representation
No targeting of CF members that made fun of the Taco Bell Chawawa
It is just your classic case of Government Incompetence!
Which of course never happens in the USA, Canada, or the EU....never.
The US DEA or IRS never “impounds” innocent people’s property
The Child Protective Services never takes kids away from parents unjustly
The EPA never takes a farmer’s field over a muskrat.
Now calm down, I’m not saying this is no big deal…of course it is a big deal, but the way some are reacting to it is just as ridiculous.

Spreading rumors (Eyes open | Longhaul trihull) or acting like this is the Cruiser’s fault because they disrespected Mexico in some way is crazy talk. In many ways this is the current Mexican Administration’s, “you can keep your health insurance if you like it” moment. Personally I would rather have the Mexican Government tell me I can’t leave my Marina Slip in La Paz, Mexico and be trapped eating tacos and drinking Pacifico's than be forced to buy a health insurance plan I don’t want for more money than the plan I had and loved…but I’m just crazy that way.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 20:18   #75

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

So far, we're the leading edge.
Here's my email to and from Richard Spindler :

Richard,

Thanks for all you do and have done for cruisers over the years.

According to some cruisers I've talked with via email and the Cruiser's Forum, your latest efforts are counter productive and are making them very scared of what might happen to them.
They haven't been nailed by AGACE, but are really shaking in thier boots over what actions might be taken as a result of all the negative publicity.
Please reconsider adding fuel to the already burning inferno.

Steve

Richard Spindler

Steve —

I'm basing my actions on the advice of members of the marine industry in Mexico, who stand to get clobbered if they get this wrong. This people are are more aware of the issues and workings of the Mexican government than are cruisers.

(My own take? Do the math...) some people are more equal than others.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG !! I hope to be able to cruise Mexico again.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, mexico