Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 20:32   #76

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
In many ways this is the current Mexican Administration’s, “you can keep your health insurance if you like it” moment.
You forgot one important word in that statement. "PERIOD!"

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 20:37   #77
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
You forgot one important word in that statement. "PERIOD!"

Now we've done it...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 20:50   #78

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post

At least Zee is speaking from first hand experience with the issues at hand. Not a lot of other folks speaking out from south of the border that I see.

It seems that this "wave" of impounded boats stopped almost as soon as it started.
What?? Zee's experience with impounding is second-hand while Latitude 38's is first-hand.

Perhaps the impounding of boats has stopped because Mexican officials have questioned "what have we done?" or because they have paused before the "second assault."
Old 09-01-2014, 20:50   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Just to make sure this letter ruins all friendly relations between Mexico and gringo cruisers, you could add some explicit threats with gunboats to come when demands are not met promptly etc. For the rest it is pretty low IQ and stupid enough.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 21:25   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
The most amusing part of all this is that APPARENTLY it is Eric of Rebel Heart's fault.

ROTDLMFAO! (as is said.....apparently)
Yes, it is all my fault. Although, strangely, the inspectors chose to ignore my boat.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 21:34   #81

No one at aduana gives two shits about what this forum says, Richard, or some guys writing letters to the consulate. This is like imagining that the US Customs guys care about a Mexican (in Spanish) forum, some letters showing up to the embassies, and some dude who writes a low-circulation narrow niche publication (in Spanish). No one cares.

You, me, Richard, this forum, Lat38, all wrapped up with a bow on us: we're peanuts.

Tempest in a teapot.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:11   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
We also know EXACTLY what is going on in Mexico..we may not like it....but we know exactly what has happened.

Mexico rightfully wanted to inspect boats to make sure they had the correct paperwork, no problem.

The inspectors, most likely due to ignorance, didn't know what they were doing and put boats with correct paperwork on the "can't leave the port list" until the paperwork is checked and verified.

We now have to wait for Mexican Officialdom to go through the process of cleaning up the paperwork mess, which will take longer than it should, be a pain in the ass, and piss people off.
Of course that is presuming that in 2) that the "correct paperwork" is in fact correct - and not simply ok enough in the minds of those doing the moaning (given many of the CF posts about boat paperwork and / or taxes I have my doubts ).

Whilst much has been mentioned of the number of boats now on the list - it does not appear to have been every foreign boat in the Marinas concerned (unless I have missed those reports?), in which case it would seem that at least some did have their paperwork in order.

Over here our tax year end is 31 Dec - this year I am gonna sit on my backside and simply wait for the local Tax Dept to find my paperwork for me. Will let ya all know how that works out .........and if it goes badly am gonna blame Zee!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:54   #83

Boat: Skookum 53'

I thought I knew what the history of gringo was and then I spent sometime last night researching, and found out, I only knew one of many variations on the history. I like the spanish version "griego", seems to make better sense, and is not as derogatory. I lived and worked in Mexico for a year, on a boat, after the first three months, I decided to stay and spent time learning the language and local customs, did not have any problems, dealt with officials every time I came into port, it was always polite and mutually respectful. One of the big differences I see between the conduct of other cultures versus Americans, is Americans are much more "In your face" , for the most part, not everyone of course. The problem is the "In your face" stays with people a lot longer than the nice folks. We are also in general more profane. Most everywhere I have been cursing is much milder than in the USA, and much less frequently used. It is a rare day, I hear my Nigerian crew use a curse word on the order of what is a daily epitaf in the USA. In fact their big exclamation is "Nawow!" Which is like saying "wow" in the USA. I would expect that peoples of other cultures find in general the visitors from the USA, a bit off putting, and overbearing. The whole "I got rights!" attitude needs a rest, how about "I got responsibilities?". Two sides of the same coin. Slow down, take a breath, find out what is really going on with the seizures, if it is your boat, get your butt to where it is moored, and find out what the problem is, in a polite respectful manner.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:09   #84
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when mexican local govt officials ask me " is this guy for real?!" when quoting parts of forums of immense size and international interest...i do not know what to say.

Probably pretty safe to tell them that they are full of crap and not to feel bad about giving them "special" attention.

And far as all the people saying they wouldn't go to Mexico now, that sounds like GREAT news for those that do!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16   #85

Boat: valiant 39
Send a message via Skype™ to Dan McAvoy

[QUOTE=zeehag;1436024]

when mexican local govt officials ask me " is this guy for real?!" when quoting parts of forums of immense size and international interest...i do not know what to say. most recent was the bunch of postings in ( another forum)* by someone cruising here and mouthing off about falsification of papers. that mentioning was regarding only those areas wherein the tagged boats are docked. coincidence????

Hi everybody this is my first message so please forgive me if i mess it up!
I'm interested in cruising mexico in the future so i have been following the recent news. can you give me a link to the "mouthing off" mentioned by zeehag.
Dan McAvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20   #86
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McAvoy View Post
Hi everybody this is my first message so please forgive me if i mess it up!
Welcome to CF .

Quote:
I'm interested in cruising mexico in the future so i have been following the recent news. can you give me a link to the "mouthing off" mentioned by zeehag.
Welcome to the Internet .

Google
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:43   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan McAvoy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:53   #88

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Are there any Canadian or other than American boats detained?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:55   #89

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

US, Canadian boaters left in limbo in Mexico

We were in Mazatlan last summer - turning over a ship to the scrappers - were told to leave immediately - taking the remaining boat to international waters. We did so and never asked why.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:04   #90
cruiser

I'm in agreement with several members of this forum who suggest that it would be better to keep a low profile and not stir things up while they're still in Mexico and to date have not had any tax/registration issues with their boats.

Personally, my wife and I have been robbed in Mexico twice and don't plan to go back, and have maintained that it is a wonderful place with nice people... right up until that gun or knife is in your face demanding money. Our good German friend who spent 6 years living in Mexico thought the same... right up until he was kidnapped... he won't be going back either. This sort of stuff kinda spoils the vacation experience.

It appears to me that the publisher from Latitude 38 who stongly encouraged tourism in Mexico from his readers over the years, and yes I've been a subscriber for the past 5... has unfortunately experienced some of the things that can go terribly wrong south of the border first hand.

I wish everyone down there the best while this mess gets cleared up.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, mexico