Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-09-2014, 17:49   #226
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: I Told Everyone to Avoid Mexico. Here we go...

Insurance is not required on the east coast. I have been in and out several times in the past few years. The last was while the west coast was having it's problems with the TIP. No mention of insurance at all.
What they did want was clearance out of the US and we didn't have it. We got in but they were not happy.

Old 23-09-2014, 20:42   #227

Boat: 1968 Alberg 30

This is old news from a year ago. Latitude 38 has an extensive set of on-line posts regarding the whole boondongle, including a write up on how how to comply with the TIP. BTW, I believe there is also a major requirement to have your boat's identification number engraved or stamped into the exterior of the hull - apparently some older vessels that did not have this Id numb visible where impounded. The whole history is roiled at length (ad nauseum perhaps) on Latitiude 38 web site....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 24-09-2014, 08:57   #228
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i am here in mexico.
i know what paperworks are needed, even on east coast of mexico.
the mexican govt is trying to standardize the entry and existence here requirements. liability insurance with a company having a foot in mexico has been a REQUIREMENT for over 3 years, now.
is required for slippage, and is a safety feature for your cruising enjoyment.
it WILL prevent a particular kind of piracy practiced here.
if you do not carry mexican liability insurance, you stand to lose your boat, and not necessarily by mexican govt.
find out for your self if you do not believe.
happy sails.

glenn.brooks, what i post is CURRENT news. look at the dates of each post, not only thread date. many threads start out a year ago, but the updates are posted as needed. . research the regulations.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 09:05   #229

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
. . .
it WILL prevent a particular kind of piracy practiced here.
if you do not carry mexican liability insurance, you stand to lose your boat, and not necessarily by mexican govt.
find out for your self if you do not believe. . . .
Staged accidents? You should post about this.
Old 24-09-2014, 09:20   #230

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Staged accidents? You should post about this.
i first heard of this when i was in ziuatenejo, and saw first hand a very impressive attempt on my boat.
first i was approached by a lovely looking female with a macgregor 26 when she was out kayaking in the playa madera area of zihuat bay, moored on a mooring made for pangas. i thought she was a part of the playa madera rental folks .. oops ... she told me when she kayaked by my boat and hung out some that these boats were high on her wish list.
they were her dream boat.
ok.. redflag.

so i was doing what i always do in my own way and how, an d about a month passed when a dark unlit quiet no engine sailboat wandered into zihuat bay from acapulco, sloowwllyy very very close to my boat and tosses an anchor over. we were no more than 10 FEET apart when i told him to move his boat, please as i had 160 ft chain only, and he had some 30 or 50 ft chain and lotsa lotsa rope rode(300 ft???) to reach behind my formosa from some 50 ft forward of me. ok speels H I T (and wrap prop and rudder) in any language. he refused to leave.
i grabbed my vhf and pretended to loudly call port captain with the report of a boat entering bay without lights and parking up my transom and as i was relaying the tale(in spanish) i stopped to pretend to listen to the radio (and actually replied to the nothing) and the jerk finally took his boat to the opposite end of the anchorage and hid behind other boats, then left within an hour. no lights no engine.
the members of the crew that night were friends of the woman from the macgregor 26 and kayak.........
wherever you sail and cruise, always be attentive to those around you and always carry liability ins.
in mexico, if you hit them or if they hit you, it doesnt matter, if no insurance, you LOSE ALL. the individual who hits you walks away with your boat and its contents. you are liable. tough sh**. fact of life.
Old 24-09-2014, 10:04   #231
Guy

That is pretty much gobbledygook. I ran into a boat in MX and found out about the justice system. Insurance would have done little good. It does little good for a gringo to have insurance on even a rental car. These kind of things end up at what we would call a justice of the peace This guy listens to you and makes the decision, kind of like our small claims court. The BIG difference is you can go to jail even if the settlement is $5 and you can't pay.
The best thing you can do is settle up as quickly as possible because once the plaintiff files the papers with this justice of the peace, you are in the system and your travels will come to an end until everything is cleared up.
Old 24-09-2014, 13:20   #232

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That is pretty much gobbledygook. I ran into a boat in MX and found out about the justice system. Insurance would have done little good. It does little good for a gringo to have insurance on even a rental car. These kind of things end up at what we would call a justice of the peace This guy listens to you and makes the decision, kind of like our small claims court. The BIG difference is you can go to jail even if the settlement is $5 and you can't pay.
The best thing you can do is settle up as quickly as possible because once the plaintiff files the papers with this justice of the peace, you are in the system and your travels will come to an end until everything is cleared up.

it is a good thing you are actually in mexico now to know the true changes and to understand the ways mexico is different than it used to be before january 2013.
this is not the same country you were ramming other boats in.
when a MEXICAN hits YOU, it is different than when YOU hit them.
the lies you are spewing about the lack of need for insurance in mexico are shameful.
you need to READ the info on what is NEEDED in mexico for your paperwork.
YES, both coasts are same. it is same country. same government.
go to the mexican consulate. they will tell you EXACTLY what i have told you for paperwork NEEDS., if you think otherwise, may you lose your boat, as some of the 1600 boats tagged were lost, due to the owners who were tagged having the same mindset as you. (rebel heart was wrong. there were 1600 boats tagged, not 1300).
if you actually read info from latitude 38 you will find this info has been published many times since the changes came in 2013 january, with this new regime.

if you believe that liability insurance here is not necessary, i hope you learn the lesson well once you get here, as you WILL learn it IS necessary.
guy, you must have been here many years ago. you, in particular, will need to brush up on mexican law.
Old 24-09-2014, 14:03   #233
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I have a name for people who don't maintain at least liability insurance. I would tell you what it is but would then be getting a mod message.
Old 24-09-2014, 14:06   #234

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
'Lectronic
Index

Previous 'Lectronic

'Lectronic Latitude Latest 'Lectronic
Subscribe to LectronicLatitude to receive emails when 'Lectronic Latitude is updated.
Post-Odile Baja Ha-Ha

September 24, 2014 – Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

(Click on the photo to enlarge it.)
This is what the beach on the Pacific side of Cabo looked like the day AFTER hurricane Odile came through. The two in the photo are the 'Texas Bowhunter' and his girl, who handled the situation well and made a great report about it.

© 2014 Texas Bowhunter

If you're signed up for the 21st Baja 'Finally Legal' Ha-Ha — to leave San Diego on October 27 and arrive in Cabo San Lucas on Thursday, November 6 — you're probably wondering how things are going in post-Odile Cabo. After the initial chaos and lawlessness at the Cape, we're told it's now full speed ahead on getting up and running again. Tourism is Cabo and Baja Sur's lifeblood, and it's in everyone's interest to be ready to welcome tourists back as soon as possible.

Roads — The Mexican government reports that all federal roads, meaning the main ones, are open from Cabo San Lucas to the California border. This means much-needed supplies are being trucked down again. There may be some detours right now, but five weeks from now the roads should be in good shape.

Cabo San Lucas Airport — You can't have mass tourism without an operational airport. After evacuating 27,000 tourists as of last Sunday, the decimated airport has been accepting relief traffic only. Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico, the airport operator, says they expect to resume commercial operations on October 8, which is about one month before the Ha-Ha fleet arrives. We're confident crews will be able to get flights home after the Ha-Ha.

Many hotels suffered damage like this one, where parts of the exterior and many of the rooms were badly damaged. In five weeks they shouldn't look anything like this, and many of the rooms will be ready for occupancy.

© 2014 Texas Bowhunter

Hotels — Once Ha-Ha boats arrive in Cabo, many of the crews like to check in to hotels. Many hotels report they will be open again by the middle of October, with almost all to open by the first of November. Only a few — such as the Hilton — report it will be much longer before they reopen. One of our crew was able to get a reservation at a hotel. But be careful to shop, as the place he normally stays at has jacked up rates by a factor of about five. His new place is reasonable.

Stores and Banks — Soriano (grocery store) opened recently to limited business, and a number of smaller stores have also reopened. It's unclear how quickly Costco and Wal-Mart can be rebuilt and get up and running again. Both were looted right down to the copper wiring. But with the TransPeninsula Highway open, all supplies will be getting to Cabo. Several banks have reopened in Cabo also.

Electricity — The Mexican government reported that while power has been restored to 80% of the customers in La Paz, only 20% of customers in Cabo have it. Naturally, getting power fully restored to Cabo will be a main focus, for without electricity there can be no recovery, and without a recovery there can be no tourism. We're confident the juice will be on five weeks from now.

Judging from this photo, Squid Roe didn't suffer any more damage than it does on a good Saturday night.

© 2014 Texas Bowhunter

Squid Roe, Cabo Wabo and all the restaurants, bars and clubs — Most of them will open as soon as there are customers. A couple of places were completely destroyed, but there were too many clubs and restaurants in the first place.

Most boats survived in the marina, even those that were at the most exposed area, which was on the port side coming in.

© 2014 Texas Bowhunter

Another look at the marina with docks intact.

© 2014 Texas Bowhunter

When your business or job depends on it, you can get a lot done in five weeks. While we're sure there will be a few glitches and minor inconveniences, we're confident that Cabo will be fine, and that there will be a great survivor's spirit.

Want to help people in Cabo recover? The best — and most fun — way you can do that is by coming down on the Ha-Ha and spending money. Businesses need patronage so workers can have jobs.

The Baja California Sur state attorney general's office reported that six people had died as a result of Odile. Most readers know about the three cruisers in La Paz Bay: Brits Paul Whitehouse and Simone Wood of the 50-ft ferro ketch Tabasco II, whose bodies were recovered in the mangroves; and German-born Guenter Trebbow, 76, of the Fisher 30 ketch Princess. It was determined that he died of a heart attack while in peril during the storm. All three were much loved in La Paz, and will be missed.

Two Korean mining executives died after trying to cross a stream in their vehicle at Santa Rosalia, and ended up being washed into the harbor. A Mexican national was also killed after his pickup was washed away trying to cross a stream. People not familiar with flash floods in desert areas have no idea how devastating they can be. Visualize a 15-ft tall wall of mud and water the width of a quarter-mile wide valley coming at you .

Video courtesy Shelly Ward of La Paz Yachts

Yesterday we were forwarded a heartwarming video of seven boats, and mostly nice ones at that, being pulled off the Mogote at La Paz. We're not sure who took it, but the rescues looked like a real community effort — with big help from the sport fishing boat Oso Negro. As for the two women early in the video helping tug on the spinnaker halyard to heel the first boat over — you rock! Well done, everyone.

- latitude / richard

Bookmark and Share

Paperwork for Heading to Mexico

September 24, 2014 – Ensenada, Mexico

Get on your paperwork, then get on your boat, then get on your board. Leave the wetsuit at home.

Photo Latitude / Richard
© 2014 Latitude 38 Publishing, LLC

The news on the Mexican paperwork front is very promising. As we reported in Monday's 'Lectronic, we had no trouble getting a tourist visa online. Once again, everyone needs to apply for a visa individually, and do not lose the receipt; you'll need it.

The problem we had was in applying for the Temporary Import Permit (TIP) for our boat. The process is a little confusing, but what stopped us was when we got to the pull-down menu for "Customs Entry'" (not to be confused with "Port of Entry"). Fito Espinoza of Marina Coral in Ensenada looked into it for us and had good news:

"I spoke with Edith Mendez at Banjercito's Mexico City office this morning. She is in charge of the online IITV procedure, and said there was no penalty whatsoever for selecting a land-locked Port of Entry. She recommended San Ysidro, Otay or any other Baja California Sur option."

Since our problem had not been with the Port of Entry, because the pull-down menu offers "Baja California Sur" as a choice, but Customs Entry, which only offers land options, we asked Fito for a clarification: "Just to be clear, these are two different things. The first asks for the Port of Entry, and allows Baja California Sur, which is great. The thing they ask for on a later pull-down menu is 'Customs Entry.' We assume that is where we should put San Ysidro."

"That is correct," replied Fito.

So we think we're good to go. We'll be applying for our new TIP in the next couple of days and will let you know how it goes. Banjercito says they will get your TIP to you within seven business days of your application.

Fito had two more things to add:

"Once someone does the online procedure, they need, ASAP, to scan their passport and vessel documentation/registration, and email them in ONE file to itvnet@banjercito.com.mx. Under subject, put Permiso Embarcación Urgente, and the folio number of the online operation.

"If the vessel's documentation or registration does not mention the Hull Identification Number (HIN), and it physically does have one, you can include the serial number. In that case, it would be necessary to scan a document that mentions the HIN — such as an insurance certificate or an image of the legible HIN so the bank can validate the information."
We'll remind everyone that even if you have a TIP that is still valid — as does Profligate — you still need to get a new TIP to include your dinghy/outboard and sailing dinghy.
- latitude / richard
you will find out about the insurance requirement when you check into country.
you might wish to purchase it in usa froma company with feet in meico in english ionstead of in mexico in spanish.... one way or the other you will be having liability ins to cruise in mexico and to use marinas, both. buying it in mexico will cost you 211 or so us dollars.
Old 24-09-2014, 15:35   #235
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have a name for people who don't maintain at least liability insurance. I would tell you what it is but would then be getting a mod message.
You could use naive and not very worldly of someone who thinks that some native guy gives a rip about your insurance. He wants cash. How on earth would your insurance co. deal with some Podunk judge? You don't get to leave and let somebody else take care of it. You need to deal with the situation right now. It's called cash, $100 bills. Your insurance is worthless unless you think you might get a refund on the amount you got away with paying some pirate. That would be naive.
Old 24-09-2014, 15:55   #236
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Who do you buy insurance from? Can you show up in Isla Mujeres and buy the insurance or do you need it in advance. I am thinking of doing th race from St Pete. In 2006 insurance was also "required" but I just gave them a copy of my progressive policy which was not valid in Mexico. I believe Geico and Progressive offer some vague wording about coverage in Mexico now, but it appears mainly geared towards boats towed to Mexico for short trips.
Old 24-09-2014, 16:02   #237

If going over to Isla as part of the race group you will have no worries. The race has tons of clout and is a big deal to the island. The rails are greased, all the paperwork is handled by pretty girls right at the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-09-2014, 19:28   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

boatguy---when you check into mexico, you can find out from one of the officials, i learned from the port captain in ensenada. you have time given to you for this task. isnt a big problem.
race groups usually take care of this stuff for ye, so you shouldnt have to concern self with it. might consider the liability insurance before you go?? i use mariners group. not certain what other companies work here
Old 25-09-2014, 07:44   #239
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Who do you buy insurance from? Can you show up in Isla Mujeres and buy the insurance or do you need it in advance. I am thinking of doing th race from St Pete. In 2006 insurance was also "required" but I just gave them a copy of my progressive policy which was not valid in Mexico. I believe Geico and Progressive offer some vague wording about coverage in Mexico now, but it appears mainly geared towards boats towed to Mexico for short trips.
If you're just doing a short in-and-out trip like a race, it might make sense to ask your current insurer if they could write a rider to cover you. It could be full coverage or liability only, your choice. Progressive, GEICO and BoatUS aren't known for offering much in the way of coverage outside the US, but I was once able to get a rider from BoatUS for a three week, full coverage round-trip to Bermuda from Virginia.

Tags
Mexico, mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: