Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 14:24   #136

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog
Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
WADR, that is simply NOT what has been reported.
From the OP:

"The problem was that the owners were not aboard, and thus were not able to show auditors their Temporary Import Permits, the location where their HIN numbers were permanently engraved in the hulls, the engine serial numbers and so forth. It did not help that the auditors knew nothing about boats and were thus unable to distinguish between basic things such as boat brands from brands of electronic components in the boats."

If you have a TIP - you are not supposed to leave the vessel in a marina and go home - presumably to the USofA or elsewehere, which is exactly what these owners did.

"if the boat owner wasn't around to show AGACE agents the necessary paperwork and numbers, the boat was assumed to be out of compliance, and thus put in 'precautionary embargo'. Embargoed boats are not permitted to leave the dock."
Old 11-01-2014, 14:38   #137

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
From the OP:
If you have a TIP - you are not supposed to leave the vessel in a marina and go home - presumably to the USofA or elsewehere, which is exactly what these owners did.
That's nonsense. A TIP is a temporary import permit for the vessel. It has nothing to do with who's on the boat. If the vessel is in a marina, then the marina office is required to have a copy of the TIP.
Old 11-01-2014, 15:44   #138
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
That's nonsense. A TIP is a temporary import permit for the vessel. It has nothing to do with who's on the boat. If the vessel is in a marina, then the marina office is required to have a copy of the TIP.
Nonsense it may be… but there are many countries where you are only allowed to leave the boat when you have made arrangements with a caretaker, which must then be agreed in a written contract.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 16:27   #139

Quote:
From the OP:

"The problem was that the owners were not aboard, and thus were not able to show auditors their Temporary Import Permits, the location where their HIN numbers were permanently engraved in the hulls, the engine serial numbers and so forth. It did not help that the auditors knew nothing about boats and were thus unable to distinguish between basic things such as boat brands from brands of electronic components in the boats."

"if the boat owner wasn't around to show AGACE agents the necessary paperwork and numbers, the boat was assumed to be out of compliance, and thus put in 'precautionary embargo'. Embargoed boats are not permitted to leave the dock."
Except, sir, that many folks were reportedly ON their boats and still got flagged. Rather than just assuming that all folks who got tagged were "home" in the USA or Canada, you might want to consider that some were out shopping or visiting other parts of Mexico.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 16:29   #140

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Nonsense it may be… but there are many countries where you are only allowed to leave the boat when you have made arrangements with a caretaker, which must then be agreed in a written contract.
"If you have a TIP - you are not supposed to leave the vessel in a marina and go home - presumably to the USofA or elsewehere, which is exactly what these owners did."

I would like to see where that is written.
My boat was in Mexico for more than 5 years and NOBODY said I couldn't leave it and then come back. I had no issues entering the country on a boat, leaving on an airline and returning on an airline multiple times then leaving on my boat. There is no documents published by the Mexican Government (that I have found) that would require a caretaker. My boat was at a small marina on Isla Mujeres and on a hand shake he took better care of it than many marinas in the US that have a 10 page contract.

The Port Captain came to our Sunday cruisers pot luck and gave a presentation of rules and regulations and what we should do to make our paper work go smoothly. Very nice guy and it was a useful time. You should check on the penalties for not having liability insurance. They don't ask to see it but if a panga runs into you while you are anchored you will really wish you had it. It has to be issued by a Mexican company but there are several US insurance brokers who can get it for you.

I don't understand why people keep bringing up the idea that all these boats did not follow published procedures. There may be some that didn't but many did everything they were told to do and still are in a jamb. That is the issue for those that would like to go or go back to Mexico. If I'm careful to follow all procedures will I still be at risk?
WHEN was the last "sweep" made?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 16:45   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I don't understand why people keep bringing up the idea that all these boats did not follow published procedures. There may be some that didn't but many did everything they were told to do and still are in a jamb. That is the issue for those that would like to go or go back to Mexico. If I'm careful to follow all procedures will I still be at risk?
WHEN was the last "sweep" made?
I'm sure some got it all right but were put on a list by mistake. But I'm also sure many did not get it all right but are claiming they have.

They may say they have a TIP but the data on it may be wrong or they did not tape it to their window or they painted over the HIN or they filled in their registration number instead of their HIN or so many things that have already leaked out through this thread. But all those claim "they have the TIP".

Check your cruising permit or your zarpe or whatever you have… is all the data correct? mine lists me as British flagged, which is wrong. If they would decide to check everything in detail, I could be confined to the marina slip while I have the required paperwork! Luckily, they are nicer to people where I am (also, not killing so many every day etc. which makes authorities rude and heartless.)
Old 11-01-2014, 17:00   #142
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Check your cruising permit or your zarpe or whatever you have… is all the data correct? mine lists me as British flagged, which is wrong. If they would decide to check everything in detail, I could be confined to the marina slip while I have the required paperwork! Luckily, they are nicer to people where I am (also, not killing so many every day etc. which makes authorities rude and heartless.)
Now your in trouble...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 17:14   #143

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now your in trouble...
Nope, the guy borrowed money from me for his mother's funeral a year ago… and still needs to pay me back
Old 11-01-2014, 17:32   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Visit Iraq, Pakistan, India, Tibet, Bangladesh, Burma, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Timor,,, I won't even start on S America and Africa... in fact +60% of the worlds countries.. then see who's behind the corruption and exploitation...
Wow.. I don't believe it... its big Western Corporations...& European & Russian, & Chinese & Japnese & & &
By the way.. all of the above are awesomely beautiful countries with lovely people.. once you cut through the morass of officialdom..
Come on Boaty lets not leave out our comrades. Your bias is beneath your
intelligence, is it not ?

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 17:40   #145
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I told everyone to avoid MEXICO. Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Come on Boaty lets not leave out our comrades. Your bias is beneath your
intelligence, is it not ?
Sorry mate.. I'm Old World... we always thought of Europe as the West... you guys were just colonial upstart rebels..
Just can't connect with the West now being the 1/3rd of the Northern part of a continent like you kids do...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 17:50   #146

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

It's over, chill.

Quelling the rumors...... This just in to Cruising Outpost!
Latest News: Boats Seized in Mexico for Not Having Import Permits Being Released!

Most boats already released in Mexico!
Yesterday all boats from marina Acapulco and Opequimar Vallarya were released. News is next week they will release the rest .

Many boats have not been "importing" their boats into Mexico and paying the $70 fee. So tax agents entered several marinas catering to foreign boats recently and slapped seizure orders on more than 300, The Associated Press reported.
The reason? The boats' owners, mostly American and Canadian retirees who cruise the Pacific and Caribbean coasts, not having a US$70 permit to tie up in Mexico.
U.S. officials are in contact with their Mexican counterparts to discuss the issue, AP said, adding that Canadian Foreign Affairs officials know of three Canadian boats that were seized in the November raids.
The operation is part of the Mexican government's new effort to improve the country's abysmal tax-collection rate, one of the worst among the world's large economies, AP said.
All boaters should have what's called a Temporary Import Permit.The document, which can be obtained online, proves the boats are owned by the permit-holder and affirms the owners will not leave or sell them in Mexico.
Officials inspected more than 1,600 boats at eight marinas and issued seizure orders against 338 that supposedly lacked the permit.
Reports from Mexican authorities have contacted us and told us many boats have already been released, and the rest should be released on Monday.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 18:37   #147

Boat: Caliber 40

And I just got an e-mail from a cruiser who returned to his boat in one of the bigger Western Mexico marinas.

He was concerned about his boat and TIP because they had a new dinghy and motor to replace the one stolen while cruising in November. The serial numbers for the TIP and dinghy/motor were not in synch.

He still does not know if his boat has been embargoed. The marina manager tells him that the list of embargoed vessels changes on a weekly basis and no one knows which boats are listed there. The marina manager says that AGACE can not tell them which boats need corrections to their documents and which boats are authorized to leave.

As of this afternoon no boat that thinks they are embargoed have been removed from the list and no one knows who can leave.

Mexico - it is not the rules that are important - it is the person who is interpreting the rules!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 18:39   #148

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
It's over, chill.

Most boats already released in Mexico!
Yesterday all boats from marina Acapulco and Opequimar Vallarya were released. News is next week they will release the rest .

Reports from Mexican authorities have contacted us and told us many boats have already been released, and the rest should be released on Monday.
Hope that's the case and if so, I'm glad more cruisers didn't have to suffer due to the media exposure and the US getting involved
Old 11-01-2014, 18:40   #149
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Total Complete 100% FALSE. There is NO restriciton that you can not leave your boat in Mexico and make a trip out of the country. Hundreds of cruisers do it every season. This is how Cruiser Rumors Start...I have a friend...I read it online...sheesh.

This Mexico event is a Case Study in how Cruiser Rumors get started and wrong information gets passed down the Grapevine. Remember this example the next time you hear people pass on second hand information!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 19:51   #150
cruiser

Maybe the boats are being released because of the media coverage and the US becoming involved rather than in spite of it. Works both ways.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, mexico