Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 16:46   #1

Boat: none(fornow)
I Think I Found It - My First Boat!

I went out today to check out a boat after posting a wtb ad on cragslist. The boat is not really a cruiser, but a good daysailer, I guess that could be a baby step to a true cruiser. The ad brought me a couple of promising leads one a 19' Montego fixed keel and a 21' Macgreger folding keel. When I saw what a 19' looked like in person, I immediately realized that there is no way my Toyota is going to tow and launch a boat that big. So that pretty much rules out the need for a folding keel and a trailer. So I talked with the owner of the Montego and then we sailed about the ICW for about an hour. It's not a perfect boat, but for the price he wants I wouldn't expect it to be perfect. The sails and the rigging look to be in good shape. The inside of the cabin was dry, the cockpit was dry. The boom and mast appear to be in very good condition. It's a sailable boat. There will be a few "cosmetic" things, like the small hole in the outside cabin wall where a compass was mounted. The cable that goes around the edge of the boat for a clip-on lead to a safety harness, I know whats it for, I just can't remember what it's called. The sink in non operable. There is no water tank. The tiller handle broke and was replaced by an ax handle. Just a bunch of little stuff like that. The guy said he had never even been out of the intercoastal, never been into the gulf at all. He is only selling the boat is because he needs some cash and is selling off some assets. So unless I get another call from someone with a boat for sale I will probably be the owner of a little Montego daysailer.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 16:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Do you have a listing for the boat? It would be nice to see some pictures before we give you our brutal (but honest) opinions.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 17:00   #3

Actually he responded to my want to buy ad and hadn't even listed it yet. He did send me a single picture of it, when it was out of the water for bottom paint. I didn't think to take any pictures when I was there today. I guess I will have to wait for the brutal opinions until after i take possession of the vessel.
Old 02-08-2009, 17:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Just messing with you of course. Congratulations on your new boat!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 17:08   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
Actually he responded to my want to buy ad and hadn't even listed it yet. He did send me a single picture of it, when it was out of the water for bottom paint. I didn't think to take any pictures when I was there today. I guess I will have to wait for the brutal opinions until after i take possession of the vessel.

Hey, Ya wanna by a bridge?
Ask for a second inspection first and take the pics. All over the boat. Post them here and get a free for what its worth survey from all kinds of ne'er-do-wells here.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 17:56   #6

What price is the owner asking for the boat?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 18:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Day sailors are a clear bargain these days. Sailing is mostly about showing up. Just a way to get out there counts. They usually shop best locally and some times you can get a great deal too. You mostly don't need a broker but the boat needs checking out. If you can't negotiate cash then it's not a day sailor. If it has a trailer pay close attention!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32   #8

Price

The owner is asking $1,200 from me. Which is in the range of other sail-able boats in this class that I have seen in the local market. He told me if i wasn't interested he was going to list it for $1,500 which I think is on the high side for this vessel.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:38   #9

Well I don't know that I am getting a "bargain" but it seem to me to be a reasonable price. I figure that if I sail this for a couple of seasons and then sell it and buy bigger and better it will be a worthwhile investment. And as long as I keep it sail-able I should be able to sell it and recoup some of my money.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:49   #10

Boat: 84 Pearson 27, Erickson 23, Penguin.
Congrats, enjoy.
dubW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57   #11

Boat: searching
Thumbs up Go for it!

Get the boat!
Go sailing!
From your opening post it all sounds good, she's dry and the rigging looks good. Your sea trial went ok. There will be some work and you seem aware of that. You are one step away from being the skipper, so pick out a good name and have some fun.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:54   #12

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Decisions...

Sounds like a good deal. BUT there are a ton of boats for sale. I would offer $1000 cash and then enjoy it 'soon' as in now....'its not exactly what I wanted but if you'd let it go for $1000, I'll do it.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:17   #13

Thanks. Yeah I know it's going to need a little work here and there, isn't that why they're called "holes in the water"? The boat is unnamed right now. Thinking of a cleaver name for it will be a challenge.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:19   #14

I will offer a bit less than he is asking and see if he bites it. But I don't mind paying 1200 for it either, especially seeing it comes with the "just in case" outboard. And he is willing to go out with me and give me a couple of lessons.
Old 03-08-2009, 13:34   #15

Well, if the outboard and sails are in good shape, it might be ok. Especially if the owner spends some time with you getting you going. But you did mention a few problems so it's obviously far from perfect.

As you know very well, it's a buyer's market and FYI I have seen boats on ebay in this price range that appear to be better boats.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote