Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-08-2009, 14:52   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are you SURE it's actually his boat??

Old 03-08-2009, 15:00   #17

One thing I noticed about the other Montego 19's for sale: they are ALL swing keel boats, with trailers. You said this boat is a fixed keel boat, I think. Have you seen the boat out of the water? And are you sure it's not a swing keel boat, with a missing swing keel?

Old 03-08-2009, 20:07   #18

Boat: none(fornow)
Well the sails aren't torn up they have a few stains on them but nothing I would call major. The little old Johnson 2 horse started on the second pull. And yeah the free lessons (even from a non certified instructor) are a plus.
Old 03-08-2009, 20:08   #19

Yeah he showed me the title for it that he brought with him when he met me for the sea trial.
Old 03-08-2009, 20:20   #20

Well he sent me a pic of it. It doesn't look like any swing keel I have seen for sale.
here is the pic he sent me via email. I just put it on photobucket
boat :: montego 19 picture by kencmjr - Photobucket
Old 03-08-2009, 20:32   #21

Boat: Wharram Tangaroa 36ft
I am very disappointed you did not buy that boat today, its 1200 right, not 12,000. What part of the gulf are you on?
Old 03-08-2009, 20:40   #22

Well herb, yes it's 1200, and actually I emailed him this morning with stating my intent to puchase his boat, I just read his reply. I will be heading up his way towards the end of the week with the cash and then it will be my little boat. I tried not to be to implusive about the purchase. Although secretly I am lusting for a bit of boat time. I am here in Venice, south Sarasota county.
Old 03-08-2009, 20:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
Well he sent me a pic of it. It doesn't look like any swing keel I have seen for sale.
here is the pic he sent me via email. I just put it on photobucket
boat :: montego 19 picture by kencmjr - Photobucket
Well, if it's supposed to be a fixed keel, it's only about 1.5 - 2 feet deep and won't allow you to sail upwind at all and what is the point of sailing it? It really looks more like a centerboard trunk that also serves to provide some ballast. Is there a centerboard? If there is no working centerboard, I would not buy it at any price.

I really think you need to clarify what this is.
Old 03-08-2009, 21:02   #24

Compare the Montego you are planning to buy with this:

Rhodes 19: Specifications

The Rhodes 19 keel is 3'3" deep and is obviously much deeper than the keel on the Montego. The Rhodes 19 is a very old design but a very good sailing boat. The Montego will not be able to sail upwind at all with such a shallow keel.

If you really want to enjoy your sailing, I would urge you to keep looking. I think you will get tired of that Montego very soon.
Old 03-08-2009, 21:38   #25

Well thanks for you advise. I think you might be right about the keel / centerboard deal. I did some more research and you seem to be right about the boat possibly missing the centerboard. I may have to retract my offer to buy the montego. I really appreciate your advise and my wallet probably does as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 21:53   #26

You're welcome. You can get a much better boat that you will enjoy a lot more.

As I mentioned before all of the other Montego 19's I saw for sale are swing keel boats. I think this one might be a different model with a shoal draft keel that is intended to allow the boat to be easily trailered. But the point is you want a sailboat that is fun to sail and that means it has to go upwind. The boat in your picture cannot sail upwind very well.

Have you considered a smaller boat that is car-toppable? Like a Laser, Force Five or Sunfish? These are great boats, fun to sail (and race if that is your inclination) and far less expensive to own since you don't have to pay for a slip or a mooring. No cabin, of course, but in Florida, I'd rather sleep in my air conditioned home!
Old 03-08-2009, 22:01   #27

Actually I had considers a sunfish or similar boat but I am a little weary of some things I had read about them being somewhat unstable because of their small size. I have also read that a larger boat is a bit more forgiving in the hand of a novice boater. On the other hand one of my earliest boat memories is of my aunt and uncle taking me out in their sunfish when I was probably about 4 or 5 years old.
Old 03-08-2009, 22:19   #28

Well, the Sunfish and boats like it have no ballast, and you use your body weigh, the buoyancy of the hull, and the force of wind on the sail to provide stability. So you have to be reasonably agile to sail them. But if you can sail this kind of boat, it's great fun and the absolute best way to learn the basics of sailing.

I will always remember the first time I sailed a Laser in a good breeze... what a blast!

Here's a video of a Laser power reaching in about 12-15 knots of breeze. If you are reasonably agile, you could be doing this in a few weeks!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:11   #29

Yeah I have seen sunfish class boats speeding along like that. They seem like a lot of fun to go fast like that. But thats really not the kind of sailing I want to do. I just want to well cruise along. Any way doing a bit more research on montegos I think I found out about the one I have been looking at. It seems that the owner is mistaken about the length of the boat. It seems that it is a Montego 20' with the shoal draft keel as indicated here: MONTEGO 20 Sailboat details (specs. English) on sailboatdata.com

Okay so here is a stupid question, just to show how little I know, is this shoal draft keel going to be stable? I mean I would not be crazy enough to try to sail at across the Atlantic, but would it be okay to take maybe a couple of miles offshore in calm water?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16   #30

Actually your question about the stability of the shoal draft keel is a very good one. The boat has a displacement of 1700 lbs. and ballast of 600 lbs. So it has a ballast/displacement ratio of .35 which, for a small boat is probably above average. But the ballast is not very deep (draft is only 2 feet) so the righting moment for the ballast is not very high. In other words the shoal draft detracts from the boats stability.. if the draft were 3 feet or more, the ballast would have a better righting moment and would add more the the boat's stability.

I really am kind of amazed that this boat was designed with such a shallow keel. My guess is that it will be a difficult boat to sell because of that. Having a shoal draft of two feet vs. three feet for this size boat gains you very little, but costs a lot in terms of upwind sailing ability.

As far as taking the boat offshore as in The Gulf, in calm water.... I guess that would be ok, as long as you are certain the calm water will remain calm as long as you are out there, and you don't venture too far, and the engine is reliable and you have plenty of fuel. And I would be very leery of taking the boat out at all if the wind is coming offshore, because of the boats limited ability to sail upwind.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: