Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 18:18   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
I need a trailer- help please

I need to get our new to us Bristol 35 from Englewood FL to Daphne AL. Does anyone know of a trailer that will work that's for sale or rent- preferably for sale as it would be very handy to have.
1. Can I use a flatbed trailer with jack stands and tie it down?
2. Can I use a flatbed trailer and weld jack stands to it or modify it to work and tie it down?
3. Are there any sailboat trailer plans out there that I can build a trailer from- yes I have access to the material and welder.
thanks in advance
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 18:48   #2

Boat: Hunter 26.5
Re: I need a trailer- help please

If this is a one time transport, I would suggest a commercial boat hauler. You will probably save a little money and a lot of effort. A 35 ft boat is too big for even a 1 ton dually mega diesel truck. You're in the big league with this boat.
Old 20-04-2015, 19:01   #3

I used to pull our 33' sport fisher with an empty weight of 12,000lbs beam of 10' with no issues.F250 super duty. Hubby thought he'd get a new truck when when we got that boat- went to the Ford dealer and he said we didn't need a new trailer and he was right, pulled it like a dream-I just need the trailer-Goose neck would work also.
Old 20-04-2015, 19:13   #4

Boat: Hunter 26.5

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If you're experieced, ok, maybe. 10 years ago I would be willing...
Old 20-04-2015, 19:23   #5

I drove the farms semi in a former life so hauling isn't a problem, plenty of experience. Just need the proper trailer.
Old 20-04-2015, 21:48   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

How this is usually done is to have a ship's carpenter build a cradle for the boat to ride in/on while on the trailer. The mast and all the rigging comes out, and the cradle will have supports for it, or you'll have some made for on-deck storage. The boat gets shrink-wrapped, and placed on the cradle.

You or the shipping company will obtain the necessary permits and learn the time restrictions for the haul, and the extra warning trucks, etc., as needed. It will depend on where you plan to drive it, how much you will be able to do in a day. [For instance, locally here, you can only move such loads between 2 and 6 a.m.; where you will be it will be something else.]

I'd seriously suggest doing some homework about the routing, if you did have the trailer. You will still have a cradle to deal with. jackstands do not spread the weight loads well enough to protect the hull while you're on the road. Any kind of bumpy surfaces will produce shock loads and you risk damaging your hull and your keel to hull joint. A good cradle is key.

Seriously, wouldn't it be better to sail it home? or hire a delivery skipper?

Good luck with it: it's a major project.

Ann
Old 21-04-2015, 04:30   #7

Thank you Ann- I've seen many in cradles and many on trailers, had not really thought about why a cradle but makes sense. Yes you're right, permits and such- should have done it with our other boat but never and didn't have issues but this boat will have to travel a from below Tampa all the way to AL and probably on toll roads. I will switch my search. I've contacted a couple movers but haven't heard back.
Does anyone know of good boat movers in Florida????
Old 21-04-2015, 04:56   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Try uship.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 05:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is the boat seaworthy? I know she needs work, but it can't bring itself home?

You can pull it, easily if it's only 12,000 lbs. I used to pull a JD-410 backhoe behind my Chevy Duramax C-3500, and it would do it at highway speeds all day long, backhoe weighs 14,400 lbs., but South Fl isn't North Fl or Lower Alabama, they take that weight, height, width thing and permits seriously from my understanding.

I looked briefly into trucking a boat, trucking is the cheap part, it's the dis-assembly, loading, unloading and re-assembly that eats money. I think I got an estimate of about 5K for a 356 Hunter to take it from St Augestine to the west side of Fl. To take it to Panama City was only a couple of hundred dollars more
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 05:47   #10

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I second A64. Why not sail it home? Pretty much a dream trip, beam to broad reach from the prevailings. Eliminates all the problems. Unless it's not ready to sail. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 06:50   #11

I wish it was ready to sail- it's the Bristol 35 that over40Priate had for sale on here. Not ready- will float but that's about it.
I but in a request for quotes with uShip- got $4500 and that was the only one. I know I could pull it but I think the permits along the route would get me. Never had issues with the big fishing boat but went from GA to north FL and never any problem. I think south FL would get me. The F250 can pull it but I think I might end up in trouble.
Old 21-04-2015, 06:59   #12

Well it might still be cheaper and easier (not to mention profoundly more fun!) to get it in minimal working order for a coast-hugging delivery. This time of year is the time to do it. Not encouraging you to take a non-seaworthy boat out, mind you, just saying that if it's not too far away from seaworthy, a few upgrades might lead to a very enjoyable time! Pete
Old 21-04-2015, 07:57   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I but in a request for quotes with uShip- got $4500 and that was the only one. ............
You should have figured that in with the cost of the boat.

But since you did not, think of this: It's going to cost you money to get the boat seaworthy either at home or where it sits. Spend the money now on the boat where it is, sail it home and save the $4500 in trucking costs..
Old 21-04-2015, 07:59   #14

That's what I'm sayin' too! pete
Old 21-04-2015, 08:07   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Get the engine running well and go up the ICW to Tarpon Springs, that will shake the boat down, then across the Gulf to Dog Island is your long leg, from there it's coastal.
I'd try to buddy boat from Tarpon Springs to Dog, I believe it's a pretty common route, ought to be boats going across pretty frequently.

Now I'm not saying just do it, you seem to have good common sense, make her seaworthy and wait in Tarpon Springs until you have a good wx window.

How bad is the boat, got a link to the sales page, any pictures?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease