Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 08:44   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: I need a tra iler- help pleases

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
So we should hide the truth in "supporting people's dreams"? We should encourage them in their ill thought out projects? What if someone is planning on doing something dangerous? Should we encourage them?

You sound like the school teacher who still gives the kid an "A" after he adds 2+2 and gets 5 because he tried his best.

The truth is going to hit this guy eventually, sweet, encouraging words or not. Better to warn someone first not to sink $50K into a $25K project than to wait and say "I told you so."
Ron.

I totally agree. I'm sure we have all done some ill fated things and negative advise may have made a difference in the outcome, or not? Sugar coating something is wrong.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:57   #47

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ron.

I totally agree. I'm sure we have all done some ill fated things and negative advise may have made a difference in the outcome, or not? Sugar coating something is wrong.
The trick, I suppose, is to give that advice in a way that's not insulting. It's hard when someone posts that "I've done this, now what should I do?" and the best we have is "You shouldn't have done that in the first place."

The reality here is that a $4K boat that costs $2.5K to move is now a $6.5K boat still in need of major repairs. It may be a worthwhile project or it may not be but that transportation cost is still essentially part of the purchase price.

That's not an insult and it's not a "negative" post. It's reality.

BTW: If one quote is $4K and another is $2.5K, there has to be a difference in what will be done or how well it will be done. That difference could be important.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:59   #48

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Well, the O'day is a a perfect example of a boat worth either fixing or scrapping, because there's plenty of people looking for parts, a large enough community, etc. heck the trailer alone is worth $1000 unless it's completely worthless. I. Don't know if it has an iron or lead keel, but odds are based on the design period of mid 70s that it's lead, and that would be worth $2000. Mast is worth $500 if it's straight.

Great example of a boat I'd haul away if I was ship breaking for a living.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:59   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ron.

The thing is that not all of us have only dollar signs in front of our eyes.

This project may or may not be the best bet financially, but surely we can all recognise financial gains are not the only goal? Why rain on someone elses parade once they have taken the plunge?

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:07   #50

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

This project may or may not be the best bet financially, but surely we can all recognise financial gains are not the only goal? Why rain on someone elses parade once they have taken the plunge?

SWL
This forum would be pretty pointless if the only replies we were allowed to give are "Hey that's great, best of luck."

The replies shouldn't be insulting but the truth should be told. And yes, even opinions. In this case, it appears the OP bought a "bargain boat" without taking into account the cost of getting it to where he wanted it to be. This is something that other potential buyers should consider so if someone else is saved from this predicament, it's worth mentioning it.

Posters can ignore whatever they want to but if they don't want to read something they don't agree with, they are better off not posting in the first place. Sometimes you have to put on your "big girl" panties to post here.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:15   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
This forum would be pretty pointless if the only replies we were allowed to give are "Hey that's great, best of luck."

The replies shouldn't be insulting but the truth should be told. And yes, even opinions.

Posters can ignore whatever they want to but if they don't want to read something they don't agree with, they are better off not posting in the first place. Sometimes you have to put on your "big girl" panties to post here.
Big girl panties? Really? Are you serious? Do you have a pair?

Once the deed has been done (as it has in this case) and particularly when no advice has been sought, pissing on someone elses parade is a poor show in my opinion.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:24   #52

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

rwidman, the "big girl panties" was a particularly tasteless and offensive comment.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:30   #53

Boat: Mariner 36
I need a trailer- help please

Tasteless? No thats just being an
a$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:31   #54

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

They have NOT already taken the 'plunge', they have so far wasted $1,500. There is something called 'cut your losses'. Now spending another $2,500 so you more than double your losses HAS NOT BEEN PLUNGED ALREADY. Selling the lead doesn't just cut your loss, it creates a profit. (does it STILL HAVE LEAD IN IT?? or did it get stripped already?)

From what I can tell this boat is NOT worth $4,000 in its current condition.
If one was NOT interested in saving money, then why buy such a dead boat to start with. Find one locally, there are so many old dead monohulls around,
and why do a 35ft boat if you just want to learn, go mess with a 24ft boat.

Or just be cheered on probably by someone who hasn't spend years building things and knows what wasting time and money is all about..
I have my free jet boat project, did I buy a $2,000 boat to build it? No, I bought a $400 boat and sold $600 of parts from it, so I was given $200 and a boat and trailer to start with. And that project is still not close to finished.

I don't doubt the skills of the OP to tackle the project, but why start at such a disadvantage with an sight-unseen boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

SWL
Old 22-04-2015, 10:19   #55

Quote:

The replies shouldn't be insulting but the truth should be told. And yes, even opinions. In this case, it appears the OP bought a "bargain boat" without taking into account the cost of getting it to where he wanted it to be. This is something that other potential buyers should consider so if someone else is saved from this predicament, it's worth mentioning it.

Old 22-04-2015, 13:23   #56

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
So we should hide the truth in "supporting people's dreams"? We should encourage them in their ill thought out projects? What if someone is planning on doing something dangerous? Should we encourage them?

You sound like the school teacher who still gives the kid an "A" after he adds 2+2 and gets 5 because he tried his best.

The truth is going to hit this guy eventually, sweet, encouraging words or not. Better to warn someone first not to sink $50K into a $25K project than to wait and say "I told you so."
There is a difference in supporting someones dreams you feel are ill fated and telling they made a huge mistake. I mentioned a few times that the purpose of the project is to LEARN- not make money. The fact that you are still refering to me as a "guy" shows you have not been paying attention. While I appricate candor, I do not feel that being negative is constructive in the context it was given.

That said- I'm still supper happy with my purchase!
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 13:25   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm thinking worst case, you'll learn a lot and if you decide to give up on it, you'll break even and just be out the sweat equity, but will have learned a lot.
I hope you pull it off, I believe it's really a matter if you want to bad enough, most of us don't want to bad enough. If you do, you'll make it work I'm sure.
Eactly A64! Learning- that's the purpose of this project. I plan to finish and am confident I will- and as you say if I don't I will have learned along the way. Since you are close to me geographically you are welcome to sit and talk along the way and have a cold beer while I toil and learn.
Old 22-04-2015, 13:47   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
There is a difference in supporting someones dreams you feel are ill fated and telling they made a huge mistake. I mentioned a few times that the purpose of the project is to LEARN- not make money. The fact that you are still refering to me as a "guy" shows you have not been paying attention. While I appricate candor, I do not feel that being negative is constructive in the context it was given.

That said- I'm still supper happy with my purchase!
You apparently aren't concerned with the $. Unfortunately some are and it would bill ill advised to encourage such an endeavor. I'm glad you are happy with it and can afford it. That being said, I hope you find a trailer. I doubt we a speaking wide load? What about overpass clearances?
Old 22-04-2015, 14:10   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Eactly A64! Learning- that's the purpose of this project. I plan to finish and am confident I will- and as you say if I don't I will have learned along the way. Since you are close to me geographically you are welcome to sit and talk along the way and have a cold beer while I toil and learn.
I see it this way after viewing the photos. If you have the experience and skills working with fiberglass, linear polyurethane paint and possibly repair and or replacement of balsa core on deck... And enjoy this kind of tedious, life sucking work then by all means go for it. I didn't see any photos of an engine, so excuse me if this has already been addressed in the thread. Engine overhauls and replacement are not cheap. $5,000 and up for a new engine. What shape is the mast and boom in? Any blisters on the hull? Free play in the cutlass bearing? The list is long... I'd take others advice here, cut my losses and walk away. Wouldn't even get involved with the idea of salvage... Whatever your decision though, good luck. Remember, except for the last breath we'll ever take there are always alternatives...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:20   #60

Quote:

While I did take into consideration the moving of the boat- I was unable prior to the purchase to get in touch with movers and thought this forum would be the proper place to ask for advice as I am certain many of you have had to ship or move boats. I understand many people do not have the same tolerance to risk that I do. Many people invest much more conservatively than I do- we all have to do what is best for us. What I find acceptable others will not. Many (most) would not buy a boat sight unseen. I did becuase it was what I was looking for- a boat with an engine of questionable running, solid hull, in the south east, sails, mast and in the 33-37 foot range and under $3000, under $6000 including shipping. Those were MY criteria- and I found it. I asked for advice on moving the boat and I got lots of good information, the negative I can ignore and accept. I've not whined on here or belittle anyone for their opinion. I take away the positives and leave the negatives. From every comment I can gleam something useful- if not now then later- even this thread is a learning situation.

Tags
lease