Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 08:12   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I need to get our new to us Bristol 35 from Englewood FL to Daphne AL. Does anyone know of a trailer that will work that's for sale or rent- preferably for sale as it would be very handy to have.
1. Can I use a flatbed trailer with jack stands and tie it down?
2. Can I use a flatbed trailer and weld jack stands to it or modify it to work and tie it down?
3. Are there any sailboat trailer plans out there that I can build a trailer from- yes I have access to the material and welder.
thanks in advance
why not sail her? It would be cheaper and more fun.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:27   #17

Boat: Bristol 35

Bristol Sailboat 34 7 | eBay

Here's the link.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:52   #18

One thing to consider is height for trucking. Some truckers have a lowboy trailer which nests the keel below the trailer deck surface to avoid being overheight. No reason you cant modify a flatbed with welded stands etc if you can make height.
But it doesn't sound like along trip, I'd have it trucked....
You are probably talking a triple axel trailer. I had a heavy-ish 26 ft sailboat and a Ford F250 diesel.... Not sure I would want to tow a lot bigger than that with an F250.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:54   #19

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Yeah, OK, that's not going anywhere on the water for a while... Might need some steering gear for one thing!

I notice in the ebay ad you posted that the seller says he "ha(s) a mover that will move the boat with 3-4 day notice and he is local." Maybe that is your ticket?

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:05   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Once a boat's value is lower than the cost to move it, it should be broken for parts. Today's spot price on lead is $0.92/lb., making that keel worth about $4000. You sure you don't want to just break it in place and haul just the keel in your F250?
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:10   #21

well, I'm not selling it for scrap- even if worth more. My goal is to completely rebuild it, putting in some things that we think we want on our forever boat- composting head etc. I know it's going to be a labor of love and stupidity but that's ok. I want to learn about the sytems- wiring, rebedding, rigging etc. Once we're on our own cruising we will have to know how to take care of the boat. learning to sail is easy compared to the boat up keep- IMHO. This is going to be our classroom for the next couple years. I'll keep looking and calling and I'm sure something will happen that gets the boat here.
Old 21-04-2015, 10:18   #22

Quote:
I need to get our new to us Bristol 35 from Englewood FL to Daphne AL. Does anyone know of a trailer that will work that's for sale or rent- preferably for sale as it would be very handy to have.
1. Can I use a flatbed trailer with jack stands and tie it down?
2. Can I use a flatbed trailer and weld jack stands to it or modify it to work and tie it down?
3. Are there any sailboat trailer plans out there that I can build a trailer from- yes I have access to the material and welder.
thanks in advance
After reading it all. I think you got screwed or screwed yourself, It may have been ok for a local. Good luck, sorry to sound negative. What will it take to get her sailable. I'm afraid over the road is going to cost more than she is worth. Someone else said the repairs are going to have to be done either place.
Old 21-04-2015, 10:58   #23

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

If using jackstands, I would weld very strong tie points to the trailer and chain and strap the jackstands down Extremely securely, and I do mean Extremely.... then the boat gets tied down extremely well, I then I would keep the speed down. You might weld up a latice ladder like structure that goes on the bed of the trailer that captures the bases of the jackstands, but all this sounds kind of shaky no matter how secure you try to make it. Typically they would build a 4 post cradle with 4 jackstands out of steel and a flat base and put that on the trailer. That's the real way to do it.
Old 21-04-2015, 11:12   #24

Cadence- while right now the moving is going to cost more than the boat is worth, one day it will be worth it to have one of the 50+ every made in good condition. I've found a mover that will do it for $2500 door to door. I think that's pretty good. I think I'm going to go with that. He will load, unload, get permits etc. I could probably get a trailer for that price but I think I'll be safe. I will keep looking for a trailer so I can move here locally but for now after reading everyones comments I think hiring it done will be safest. Did I get screwed? I don't think so- of course I've not yet seen the boat but I'm an optimist and believe in peoples word. I was given what I believe is an honest assesment of the condition. Nothing was sugar coated.
So it looks like I will be getting a boat moved and start working on it very soon!
Old 21-04-2015, 12:48   #25

Boat: temporarily boatless...

If you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters! I wish you the best! Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 13:12   #26

Quote:
Cadence- while right now the moving is going to cost more than the boat is worth, one day it will be worth it to have one of the 50+ every made in good condition. I've found a mover that will do it for $2500 door to door. I think that's pretty good. I think I'm going to go with that. He will load, unload, get permits etc. I could probably get a trailer for that price but I think I'll be safe. I will keep looking for a trailer so I can move here locally but for now after reading everyones comments I think hiring it done will be safest. Did I get screwed? I don't think so- of course I've not yet seen the boat but I'm an optimist and believe in peoples word. I was given what I believe is an honest assesment of the condition. Nothing was sugar coated.
So it looks like I will be getting a boat moved and start working on it very soon!
I'm tickled you found a mover that cheap. You didn't really say you hadn't seen her. Did you get a survey? God bless you. That is still a bunch to pay to get something delivered you hadn't seen. Again good luck.
Old 21-04-2015, 13:51   #27

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

What a cool boat, it will be a great boat once you are done with it after about 5-10 years and $50,000-$100,000 spent on it.

You have to ask why didn't anyone in FL buy it?

I really think you should cut your losses, find a scrapper in FL to take the lead (does it still have lead in it??), and use the funds to buy another boat locally.

If not, at least tow it yourself. Drive to FL, see the boat, and find a trailer locally, there will be plenty of them in FL to find or have modified for you.
You are just crazy to not ever see it and pay to have it delivered.
Old 21-04-2015, 14:00   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Biker,

Does the $2500 door to door include unstepping and re-stepping the mast and transfer of the boat from hardstand to trailer? and reverse at the boat's destination? [If the boat is going water to hard to trailer, and reverse, there will be haul and launch charges to consider, as well.]

Keep on happy, good luck with it all. You sound like you have lots of the skills you're going to need to get on with it and be successful.

Ann
Old 21-04-2015, 15:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
What a cool boat, it will be a great boat once you are done with it after about 5-10 years and $50,000-$100,000 spent on it.

You have to ask why didn't anyone in FL buy it?

I really think you should cut your losses, find a scrapper in FL to take the lead (does it still have lead in it??), and use the funds to buy another boat locally.

If not, at least tow it yourself. Drive to FL, see the boat, and find a trailer locally, there will be plenty of them in FL to find or have modified for you.
You are just crazy to not ever see it and pay to have it delivered.
Let him be. Probably an expensive lessen? I'm sure it will be worth what they told him restored, just didn't say how much it would cost to restore.
I'm an old cynic but hopefully I am wrong and he has a good deal?
Old 21-04-2015, 16:06   #30

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Please don't be discouraged by all of the negative remarks. I sometimes think some of these people are afraid you might end up with a boat after spending considerably less than they did for theirs. That may be twisted thinking but for the life of me I would never recommend someone cut-up something they just bought. I don't know if you made a mistake or not. I do know that if you get the boat sailing again it will be something to be proud of. Good luck.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease