Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 09:12   #16
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I need to get our new to us Bristol 35 from Englewood FL to Daphne AL. Does anyone know of a trailer that will work that's for sale or rent- preferably for sale as it would be very handy to have.
1. Can I use a flatbed trailer with jack stands and tie it down?
2. Can I use a flatbed trailer and weld jack stands to it or modify it to work and tie it down?
3. Are there any sailboat trailer plans out there that I can build a trailer from- yes I have access to the material and welder.
thanks in advance
why not sail her? It would be cheaper and more fun.
__________________

__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:27   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Daphne Alabama
Boat: Bristol 35
Posts: 399
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Bristol Sailboat 34 7 | eBay


Here's the link.
__________________

__________________
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:52   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,363
Re: I need a trailer- help please

One thing to consider is height for trucking. Some truckers have a lowboy trailer which nests the keel below the trailer deck surface to avoid being overheight. No reason you cant modify a flatbed with welded stands etc if you can make height.
But it doesn't sound like along trip, I'd have it trucked....
You are probably talking a triple axel trailer. I had a heavy-ish 26 ft sailboat and a Ford F250 diesel.... Not sure I would want to tow a lot bigger than that with an F250.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:54   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Boat: temporarily boatless...
Posts: 723
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Yeah, OK, that's not going anywhere on the water for a while... Might need some steering gear for one thing!

I notice in the ebay ad you posted that the seller says he "ha(s) a mover that will move the boat with 3-4 day notice and he is local." Maybe that is your ticket?

Pete
__________________
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 11:05   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Posts: 563
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Once a boat's value is lower than the cost to move it, it should be broken for parts. Today's spot price on lead is $0.92/lb., making that keel worth about $4000. You sure you don't want to just break it in place and haul just the keel in your F250?
__________________
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 11:10   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Daphne Alabama
Boat: Bristol 35
Posts: 399
Re: I need a trailer- help please

well, I'm not selling it for scrap- even if worth more. My goal is to completely rebuild it, putting in some things that we think we want on our forever boat- composting head etc. I know it's going to be a labor of love and stupidity but that's ok. I want to learn about the sytems- wiring, rebedding, rigging etc. Once we're on our own cruising we will have to know how to take care of the boat. learning to sail is easy compared to the boat up keep- IMHO. This is going to be our classroom for the next couple years. I'll keep looking and calling and I'm sure something will happen that gets the boat here.
__________________
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 11:18   #22
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I need to get our new to us Bristol 35 from Englewood FL to Daphne AL. Does anyone know of a trailer that will work that's for sale or rent- preferably for sale as it would be very handy to have.
1. Can I use a flatbed trailer with jack stands and tie it down?
2. Can I use a flatbed trailer and weld jack stands to it or modify it to work and tie it down?
3. Are there any sailboat trailer plans out there that I can build a trailer from- yes I have access to the material and welder.
thanks in advance
After reading it all. I think you got screwed or screwed yourself, It may have been ok for a local. Good luck, sorry to sound negative. What will it take to get her sailable. I'm afraid over the road is going to cost more than she is worth. Someone else said the repairs are going to have to be done either place.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 11:58   #23
Registered User
 
jheldatksuedu's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: On my boat, Manhattan, Kansas or LaBelle, Florida
Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Posts: 396
Images: 6
Re: I need a trailer- help please

If using jackstands, I would weld very strong tie points to the trailer and chain and strap the jackstands down Extremely securely, and I do mean Extremely.... then the boat gets tied down extremely well, I then I would keep the speed down. You might weld up a latice ladder like structure that goes on the bed of the trailer that captures the bases of the jackstands, but all this sounds kind of shaky no matter how secure you try to make it. Typically they would build a 4 post cradle with 4 jackstands out of steel and a flat base and put that on the trailer. That's the real way to do it.
__________________
A bad day sailing is 100 times better than a good day at work. www.jheld.mysite.com
jheldatksuedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 12:12   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Daphne Alabama
Boat: Bristol 35
Posts: 399
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Cadence- while right now the moving is going to cost more than the boat is worth, one day it will be worth it to have one of the 50+ every made in good condition. I've found a mover that will do it for $2500 door to door. I think that's pretty good. I think I'm going to go with that. He will load, unload, get permits etc. I could probably get a trailer for that price but I think I'll be safe. I will keep looking for a trailer so I can move here locally but for now after reading everyones comments I think hiring it done will be safest. Did I get screwed? I don't think so- of course I've not yet seen the boat but I'm an optimist and believe in peoples word. I was given what I believe is an honest assesment of the condition. Nothing was sugar coated.
So it looks like I will be getting a boat moved and start working on it very soon!
__________________
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 13:48   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Boat: temporarily boatless...
Posts: 723
Re: I need a trailer- help please

If you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters! I wish you the best! Pete
__________________
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 14:12   #26
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Cadence- while right now the moving is going to cost more than the boat is worth, one day it will be worth it to have one of the 50+ every made in good condition. I've found a mover that will do it for $2500 door to door. I think that's pretty good. I think I'm going to go with that. He will load, unload, get permits etc. I could probably get a trailer for that price but I think I'll be safe. I will keep looking for a trailer so I can move here locally but for now after reading everyones comments I think hiring it done will be safest. Did I get screwed? I don't think so- of course I've not yet seen the boat but I'm an optimist and believe in peoples word. I was given what I believe is an honest assesment of the condition. Nothing was sugar coated.
So it looks like I will be getting a boat moved and start working on it very soon!
I'm tickled you found a mover that cheap. You didn't really say you hadn't seen her. Did you get a survey? God bless you. That is still a bunch to pay to get something delivered you hadn't seen. Again good luck.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 14:51   #27
Registered User
 
nimblemotors's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Posts: 1,557
Re: I need a trailer- help please

What a cool boat, it will be a great boat once you are done with it after about 5-10 years and $50,000-$100,000 spent on it.

You have to ask why didn't anyone in FL buy it?

I really think you should cut your losses, find a scrapper in FL to take the lead (does it still have lead in it??), and use the funds to buy another boat locally.

If not, at least tow it yourself. Drive to FL, see the boat, and find a trailer locally, there will be plenty of them in FL to find or have modified for you.
You are just crazy to not ever see it and pay to have it delivered.
__________________
JackB
MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 15:00   #28
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,682
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Biker,

Does the $2500 door to door include unstepping and re-stepping the mast and transfer of the boat from hardstand to trailer? and reverse at the boat's destination? [If the boat is going water to hard to trailer, and reverse, there will be haul and launch charges to consider, as well.]

Keep on happy, good luck with it all. You sound like you have lots of the skills you're going to need to get on with it and be successful.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 16:14   #29
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
What a cool boat, it will be a great boat once you are done with it after about 5-10 years and $50,000-$100,000 spent on it.

You have to ask why didn't anyone in FL buy it?

I really think you should cut your losses, find a scrapper in FL to take the lead (does it still have lead in it??), and use the funds to buy another boat locally.

If not, at least tow it yourself. Drive to FL, see the boat, and find a trailer locally, there will be plenty of them in FL to find or have modified for you.
You are just crazy to not ever see it and pay to have it delivered.
Let him be. Probably an expensive lessen? I'm sure it will be worth what they told him restored, just didn't say how much it would cost to restore.
I'm an old cynic but hopefully I am wrong and he has a good deal?
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 17:06   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 591
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Please don't be discouraged by all of the negative remarks. I sometimes think some of these people are afraid you might end up with a boat after spending considerably less than they did for theirs. That may be twisted thinking but for the life of me I would never recommend someone cut-up something they just bought. I don't know if you made a mistake or not. I do know that if you get the boat sailing again it will be something to be proud of. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
captlloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lease

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: I NEED a trailer!!! Buy or rent, help! CrossAndAnchor Classifieds Archive 0 20-04-2015 10:20
Need help identifying boat trailer Haz1995 Our Community 2 12-08-2014 16:19
West Systems 407 Filler Question - Please, Please HELP! Amigo Construction, Maintenance & Refit 22 22-09-2009 06:24
Help Please Trailer Drifter8022 General Sailing Forum 2 29-05-2008 08:51
1976 O'Day 23 in need of a trailer! drftingfromshor Monohull Sailboats 2 10-04-2008 17:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.