Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:00   #16

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: I Hope This Negative Force Never Reaches My Wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Interesting that boatyard owner would tell someone to not buy a boat that they haven't seen. You would think instead they would have dollar signs in their heads thinking they had another customer.

That was my first thought. But then again, God forbid!!, the boatyard owner might be a genuine friend who is issuing a caution to a less knowledgable person.

We all hope we still have those types of friends, don't we ?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:10   #17

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

They say the two best days are the day you buy a boat and the day you sell her. I whole heartedly agree with the first. And I've felt pangs of remorse when I sell which are only mitigated by the fact that I'm only selling to buy another! I still cruise by our old boat and look at her with fondness. Owning a boat is a great, joyful experience.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:11   #18
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jesus , after 7 boats now I must be stone mad so. ( hey that's right i am)

Dave
You said it....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:38   #19

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

If the mast collar, chainplates, hatchs, and/or ports, have been leaking, you "could" be looking at a > $10,000 repair. (I've done them) The evidence, however, is usually quite obvious. It would be sodden headliner, black/punky, or delaminating plywood bulkheads, wall panels, or cabinet fronts & shelves. Do look "well" under as well as in every openable access hole.

Also, if it has bottom blisters bad enough to need a peel, dry, re-fair, barrier coat, THEN bottom job... THAT can be prohibitively expensive!

Otherwise, these cost are vastly overstated! A non bent shaft cost "$0". What's that about?

If you pay cash you don't need any insurance except perhaps liability, which is really cheap & always available. (Over 40 years, I have NEVER had full hull coverage). "I" decide where my boat spends H season, not some guy circumnavigating his desk!

A standard bottom job on that boat should be about a third of her quote, especially if you do the work yourself.

Her "re-rig cost" is a valid point, but the number is inflated by 50%! It is no big deal.

It is a good time to get a great deal on an old boat. I have done a bit of traveling around to help friends assess the value, suitability of various > 20 year old boats. Around here, 80% are either already dead or a money pit. The other 20%, however, are the well built & maintained minority of boats that I'd suggest choosing from.

Learn what to look for in designs, builders, and age related problems, then take your time, be willing to travel and look at 20 different boats, "carefully", if necessary.

Then you are not just making a roll of the dice, you are taking a highly calculated risk, and cutting the likelihood of buying "a terrible mistake" by ten fold.

In this context, It is a great time to buy a used boat! Come on in, the water's fine.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Have the yard owner talk to the seller, THEN make an offer.

Lemonade!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59   #21

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I can agree with the "double the cost" you think it will take to fix your boat. We found this out the hard way. Add in the things you really want, (autohelm, dinghy davits, ac, etc etc) and you can QUADRUPLE it before you know it.
To us we considered it an investment in an education and have done 75% of all the work ourselfs. If we were not mechanicaly able and had to pay someone else I could never afford to own any boat.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:12   #22

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Have the yard owner talk to the seller, THEN make an offer.

Lemonade!
Love it !

-Sven