Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 02:26   #1
cruiser

Thumbs up I have to tell the board about someone...

Everyone,

After asking so many questions on here about which boat was right, I had a broker I had been working with for close to 10 years guide us to the right boat. (He guided me to my previous boat as well)

I have to tell you folks about this guy. He is very unique in the world of brokers. He acted more as a consultant and advisor in our purchasing process. He listened to every detail of what we were looking for and found us a boat I had never even heard of that fit every single thing we were looking for, AND our budget. The boat is a Gulfstar Hirsch 45.

I am posting this message because I have found this guy to be one of the most fair, even minded brokers I have ever come across. He truely fits boats to people. He asks the right questions, and has a tremendous knowledge of sailboats in general. I couldn't recommend him more.

If you need to buy or sell, contact this guy. He has done so well for us over 2 boat purchases, that I just have to share this info with others.

John Brady
Northrop & Johnson
Beverly, MA
(Office) 978-921-6600
(Fax) 978-921-6691
(Cell) 978-590-0478

PS: I am in no way, shape, or form afilliated with this guy or Northrop and Johnson. This is just post to suggest a great person to work with buying or selling. My experience was so good, that I felt it would be helpful to pass his info along.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
That's so good to hear Sean.
So now ya better start posting photo's of what ya have and do to her. So what state is she in? Tell us more.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:37   #3
cruiser

I will post photos in approx 1 month....

Hi Alan,

Thank for the interest in the boat. We are so VERY excited at this point. We will be closing in the next 2 weeks, then we fly to WI to pick her up.

We will then be taking 1 month to sail her from Sturgeon Bay, WI, through most of the Great Lakes, through the Erie Canal, through New York City, and out to Long Island where we will be working for a few months and readying the boat for work in the Bahamas.

I will likely be off this board for about a month, so you will see those pictures late August or early September, once I get the boat's computer networks set up.

Finally, I'll be able to post some pictures of projects and various boat photos like everyone else!

The boat is in great shape, having spent 10 of her 18 years of life in fresh water. She is solidly built (from what I understand and can tell by inspection). She has been used mostly for light sails around the lake, so a lot of her gear is in decent shape, even though it's old. She lacks a lot of cruising/chartering gear, but we felt it was more important to purchase the hull/layout as we can add in any other parts as we go.

Photos will follow in late August. I also am talking to Gunner (Irwinsailor) about this inland passage, sharing notes. He was planning to do the same one.

Sean
Old 06-07-2005, 01:36   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Sean

I'm over here on the West Coast but I seem to remember reading about traveling out from WI and it seems there were some bridges where you'll have to un-step the mast to get through. I could be wrong and it has been a while since I read the artical or post.

I thought you might want to plan for that, if so.

Does anyone else remember or have the experiance going out from the lakes.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 13:01   #5
cruiser

Unstepping the mast is a must, you are right.

Hi Del,

Your memory serves you correctly. It's going to be about a few hundred miles of pure motoring with the mast on the deck to go through the Erie Canal. B-O-R-I-N-G.
Old 06-07-2005, 14:22   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sean,

Congrats on the new boat. I take it you've not been through the Erie canal before. It's anything but boring. Lots of little interesting towns, pleasant lock keepers, tie up every evening at a nice wall. Lock 17 at Little Falls is really interesting and when you get to "the flight" - these are the last 5 locks that take you down to Waterford have your camera handy. In Waterford there's a free floating dock with internet connection at the welcome station. Then there's only Troy lock left and you're into the Hudson River.

Get your mast stepped at Riverview Marina in Catskill, it's run by Mike who's one of the friendliest marina owners I've ever met.

If you need detailed info on this leg of the trip send me an e-mail. I've been doing it since 1990 and still would enjoy it except that I have a boat down south now.
Old 07-07-2005, 00:35   #7
cruiser

Thank you!!

Rick,

What an informative (and uplifting) response. Thanks for all of that information, especially tips on where to have the mast stepped. I am especially looking for a marina that will have the wood to build up those "X" shaped stands and lash the mast to the deck well. I will have no materials for this passage, and only bare essentials, since this is a delivery. To Wisconsin by plane, back by boat.

I was thinking all the motoring would be boring, but after reading your post (and a couple of internet logs of passages through the canal), I am really looking forward to seeing the quaint towns. It will be a treat to not worry about weather conditions to any great extent (like I normally do in the ocean). There are certainly advantages.

To continue talking up the Canal, it's CHEAP too! The pass is somewhere around $100 and tying up can be done for free the whole length of the canal. Should be interesting.

BTW: Did you have any issues with locking up/down the canal? We (101-105lb wife and myself) will be doing all of the line handling and it's a 26,000 displacement boat. I read a good online resource regarding the locking, but the guy described pushing his boat about using his feet while holding the lines on the lock walls. I'm thinking that isn't going to happen for us at 26,000 lbs.

Thanks again for the post.

Sean
Old 07-07-2005, 13:49   #8

Sean,

I took US 14 ( 12 meter) weighing in at 30 tons and 70ft. long, with my wife and a friend. We had no problems just take it slow and easy. The locks are simple to use and should not cause any problems as long as you have the correct fenders and take it slow. Once you are in them, it's easy.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 14:10   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hi Sean,

You'll be entering the system at Buffalo. There is a marina there that'll do it all - the wood supports etc. Sorry, I don't know the name of it because I enter the system at Oswego but have met many cruisers that enter at Buffalo and they've had no problems getting the mast down. If you want to save a few bucks and have the time you can prepare the supports before you leave WI. I used my supports for over 14 years, leaving them at Riverview on the way south and getting them back on the way north.

I would get a ten day pass - this is cheaper than the season's pass and will give you lots of time to get to the Hudson. The canal has a very informative site http://www.canals.state.ny.us/

Nearly all the locks have lines hanging down now. Come in slowly, have your spouse grab a line forward, reverse a bit, you grab a line aft. Hang on and that's it. You should have lines fore and aft for the odd lock without lines. You'll have to pass these lines around vertical posts or wire rope lines or a ladder. After the first two or three you'll be an expert. Just remember to concentrate every time you enter or leave a lock. If you don't it's easy to lose it. The two of you should do fine. Make sure you have two boat hooks as you'll each need one and won't have time to pass it back and forth.

You'll have to go across Lake Oneida which is very shallow and can blow up fast. It's about 20 miles across. There is a nice floating dock at Brewerton just at the west end of the lake that you can wait for weather at. If it's blowing hard from the east just wait it out.

In the evenings stop at the high side of a lock. If you stop at the low side you'll think you're in a cave and whenever they dump the lock the water will rush past.
Old 09-07-2005, 00:55   #10
cruiser

Wow...

Thanks for the additional info, Rick and By Invitation!

If you could move a 12 Meter through with no problem, I'm sure we can handle a little 45' er.

Thanks for all that additional info. I will be sure to make note of it all for the delivery.

Sean