Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2005, 23:23   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
HURRICANE KATRINA

Hurricane Katrina:
Thursday, August 25 at 7 PM EDT (2300Z) Katrina is currently making landfall between Hallandale Beach & North Miami Beach, Florida.
Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) just reported 90 MPH winds.
Katrina's eye was located near Lat. 25.9N x Lon. 80.1 W, and is moving WSW at about 6 MPH.

Good luck CSYMan, and all those in South Florida, and the Panhandle (Sunday’s target)!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 23:32   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Thanks for the good wishes ... anxiously awaiting a friday arrival here.
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 23:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bob & Lynn:
Hopefully, she’ll weaken as she crosses the peninsula (steady weakening is expected, until she re-emerges off the West coat, then re-generates over the Gulf).
Batten down the hatches - she looks to be a “wet” one.

Old 26-08-2005, 11:08   #4

We recently built this mooring cover and I must say, it works nicely .... it's currently residing in the 1/4 berth It's now Friday morning and all is well here ... wind in the 30-35 kt range but little rain so far. The North winds have driven about 2 feet of water out of the river we reside on ... but even that is no real problem. We have taken all precautions .. except for setting anchors ... I must say, I'm surprised and saddened at the amount of boats around us who have taken no measures at all.
Bob & Lynn
Old 26-08-2005, 15:18   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Gord: Thanks for the expression of concern for us in the path or potential path of Katrina. Seems like I just got the canvas back on after undoing the preparations for Dennis. And here we go again!
Wahoo Sails. Hope you didn't get whacked too hard by Katrina and that you suffered no damage. Thanks for posting the photo. I like your design for the shade cover/awning for the main saloon area and the cockpit. I have a commercially made one. Shadetree is the brand but I am sure I (er, I mean the ADMIRAL could have made one for much less cost than what we had to pay for the Shadetree. If only we had the new sewing machine before I bought the Shadetree. What kind of material did you use and is that a halyard that you have hooked to the center of the shade cover? And BTW we hope to travel throuh the Charlotte Harbor area on the way south in November. You have great cruising grounds in your area.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 00:42   #6

Katarina turned out to be pretty much a non-event for us. Has anyone heard from CSYman ? She came ashore pretty much in his backyard, would be good to know that he is alright. Alaskadog ... guess I don't have to tell you this hurricane is headed your way and she is going to be MUCH stronger when she gets up there ... please take all precautions.
As for the mooring cover, what you're seeing is our topping lift. The cover is zippered from edge to center on both sides at that point, effectively making it two pieces. This makes handling it much easier, and makes getting on & off the boat easy as well. The material is "Army Duck", which seems to be wonderfully appropriate.
Give us a shout when you get down this way ... we'll buy ya a beer !
Bob & Lynn

L S/V Sew Good
Old 27-08-2005, 12:26   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Looks like this nasty girl, Katrina, keeps shifting to the west. As of early this morn, the NWS has the 3-day cone pegged for the Miss. River delta and New Orleans. If she hits New Orleans at a Cat. 4, it could be a major disaster.
Follow up for Wahoo Sails: Thanks for the reply concerning the construction of your shade awning. Glad you sustained no damage in the Charlotte Harbor area. BTW, would you have any affiliation with any of the real nutty/fun bunch of sailors in the Caloosahatchie Marching and Chowder Society? I met some of them a couple of years ago while in the area and even joined the group for a year so I could keep up with them thru their newsletter and to get their "barefoot" burgee. Thanks for the offer of a cold one. May/could happen.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 15:22   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Back on line

Yeah, thanks for the well wishes.

She did indeed come visit us and it was a mess here for a while.

I spent most of the day preparing my boat and the boat next to me that is renting space on my dock.

Then I prepared 2 other sailboats and helped a power boat and finally a CSY 37 that has been abandonded.

The wind started picking up around 17:00 local and it kept increasing with some fierce gusts up to about 2100 when it got pretty quiet...The eye...By that time we had lost power to the house so we used the lull to empty the freezer and put the stuff in the boat's freezer.

Then wind kicked up again and swung South.
I heard the strongest wind in my area was 90 MPH, or about 80 knoits..Seemed about right, I guess.

It was violent enough that one would have been sea-sick on the boat..

The was some local damage, fenses and trees blowing down and stuff like that.

No damage to my boats or the ones I kept an eye on, but I should have taken my bimini-top off.
Expected a weak Cat 1 hurricane and figured we were sheltered enough that we would not get the full force.
The bimini top and eveything else survied, but next time I will probably strip the boat, sails and all as these things can be un-predictable and turn the wrong way, pick up speed, etc.

All in all, we were lucky, but not the poor souls in Miami, the storm turned South against all forecasts and predictions, lots of damaged sailboats down there, Dinner Key Marina and other places.
Heard of 20 boats on top of each other...Not only did the storm turn, but it kicked up to a Category 2 on the way.

Wonder when the next one is coming...?
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 16:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dag:
Glad to hear that you, and "Rhapsody", et al. weathered Katrina ok.
How long was the (elect.) power out for?
Gord

Old 27-08-2005, 17:20   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Power was out for 36 hours or so.

Didn't bother me much, but other folks were going mad 'cause they had no Air Condition and TV.

Nice and quiet in the house.

Last year we had 4 hurricanes to deal with and that was a lot of work..Prepared 7 to 8 boats before them 'canes, including a 92 foot power boat.

Made good money doing all that work, but would rather not have the storms come around.
We had no direct hit last year, but of course we did not know that beforehand.

Hopefully this here Katrine is the last one for the year, but little voices in my head keeps telling me there is more to come..
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 11:12   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Two Boaters Die at Dinner Key Marina
Hurricane Katrina's sudden, unexpected turn resulted in at least two deaths as it caught residents of a houseboat community by surprise. Officials fear more deaths.

BY JACK DOLAN - Miami Herald (Sat. Aug. 27/05) ~ jdolan@herald.com
Herald staff writer Mike Vasquez contributed to this report.

Boaters riding out Katrina at the free anchorage just off of Dinner Key Marina on Thursday believed they were in for a rough night on the fringes of a far-off hurricane.

But just after dark, the wind turned from strong to vicious, and lightning exploded over the bay.

Hurricane Katrina had made its sudden, unexpected turn and was bearing straight down on the small community of ramshackle boats.

At least two people died in the desperate hours that followed, police say.

Curtis L. Howse ("Bud"), 67
John Nye (''Go John''), 61

Search teams brought one body to shore just after noon on Friday morning. They discovered the other in a submerged houseboat around 2 p.m.

The two were among three confirmed deaths related to Katrina in Miami-Dade County. The third victim was an elderly Miami woman who died after a power outage shut off her ventilator. At least four were dead in Broward.

''Quite a few house boats turned over,'' said Miami Police Chief John Timoney.

``I wouldn't be surprised if we find a few more bodies.''

Dive teams, which were hampered on Friday by violent squalls blowing in behind Katrina, will likely be searching long into today, Timoney said.

Officials have not formally identified either of the bodies, but their friends knew them well.

''Bud's dead,'' said 62-year-old former shrimp fisherman Chuck Davis, who said he saw his friend ''face down'' on the deck of his boat Friday morning.

Like many of the men who live rent-free on weather-beaten old boats in the anchorage, Bud had no other home, and rarely used his full name.

But Davis identified him as Curtis L. Howse, 67, a former shrimp fisherman and Vietnam veteran who had lived on his boat for decades.

BARELY ESCAPED

Davis said he barely escaped with his own life.

Just after dark, he said, another boat tore loose and crashed into his, sheering his cabin from the hull and sending it overboard with him inside.

Davis said he half-swam, half-drifted to one of the small barrier islands just off the marina, where he spent the night hunkered behind a tree.

Also missing and feared dead: John ''Go John'' Nye, 61.

He told his friend Fred Grothe that he thought the storm would be ''a piece of cake'' and that he wouldn't even need to take down the sunshade on his deck.

But when dawn broke on Friday, Nye's two-story house boat had broken away from its anchor, drifted to the other side of the island and flipped upside down, Grothe said.

There was no sign of Nye or the three dogs that lived on the boat with him.

Early on Friday, Grothe said a search diver told him that he'd viewed the outside of Nye's boat from beneath the surface, and that it didn't look like there were any air pockets inside the mangled cabin.

`LIKE FAMILY'

Later in the day, Grothe said that a Miami police officer who knew Nye confirmed for him that the second body discovered was Nye's.

''God, it hurts,'' Grothe said. ``He was like family.''

While deadly winds assaulted the boats outside the barrier islands in Biscayne Bay, more than 20 boats moored inside broke free and were tossed onto the rocks between Dinner Key and the Coconut Grove Sailing Club.

''It tore my heart out when I saw,'' said Richard Lemire, standing in the cockpit of the double-masted, 37-foot sailboat he restored five years ago.

The boat was impaled on sharp rocks in the northwest corner of the marina, with seven other damaged boats strewn around and on top of each other.

In that pile was a 34-foot sloop named ``This is the Life.''

Jeff Marquis, who endured the storm on his 25-foot shrimp boat, said he was shocked at the hurricane's intensity.

''There were hundred-knot winds, easy,'' he said. ``This was life and death, man.''

Marquis, who rode out the storm tied to Pier 9 on the southern edge of Dinner Key, said several of the wrecked sailboats bounced off the bow of his boat before crashing ashore.

''There's nothing you can do,'' Marquis said. ``The wind and waves are relentless, they don't stop.''

The highest officially recorded wind speed in the area was 97 m.p.h across the bay on Virginia Key, with sustained winds of 73 m.p.h.

CAREFREE LIFE

Stephen Bogner, Miami's marinas manager, said the Dinner Key facility overall held up well in the storm.

But, he said, ''it's disheartening'' that Katrina piled up dozens of boats on the barrier islands, the subject of a much-trumpeted cleanup effort earlier this week.

Bogner said the idea of living carefree on a houseboat ``may be romantic from a distance, but when you're sitting on an anchor at 90 miles per hour, it's not fun.''

UPDATE:
Sunday, August 28/05
@6:05 AM CDT (1105Z)
Upgraded to Cat. 5 /w near 160 mph sustained winds

@4:20 AM CDT (0920Z)

Maximum sustained winds have increased to 150 mph (130 Kts), making “Katrina” a very dangerous category 4 storm. Further strengthening is likely with Katrina during the next 12 to 24 hours, and it’s possible that Katrina could reach category 5 status before making landfall along the northern Gulf of Mexico. Hurricane warnings have now been hoisted from Morgan City, La., to the Florida-Alabama border. This includes the city of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain.
Katrina is a very large storm that will affect a large area - both at the coastal landfall - and well inland, with a trail of flooding rains and damaging winds across Mississippi and Alabama, and then into Tennessee.
Goto: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Elsewhere: In the northwest Pacific, “Talim” has become a typhoon, and is forecast to grow to a 120 mph typhoon before moving across Taiwan and into mainland China in the next 3 to 4 days.
Goto: http://forecast.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/shado...c/200513W.html
And: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/

Old 28-08-2005, 13:25   #12

csyman

Kudos T CSYman! The guy took care of many boats in the FLL aree that he really wan't obligated to do so...including mine....

Seems like made the same preperations as CSY did, i also didn't go to the extent as last year and left some canvas up as well as the sails anticipating a tropical storm and more northerly track...

Live and learn!. I had to leave the country on a trip and next thing you know it is going more southerly and is a Cat 1 and there ain't a thing I can do and with my wife watching after a 17 month old, not much she can do either....

Well who comes to the rescue but CSYman refurling my main sail and checking lines etc......My main would most likely be useless now if not for him....

Thanks again CSY!
Old 29-08-2005, 11:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Watch “Katrina” come ashore (IR Loop Immage)
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA...-ir4-loop.html

http://http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar.../si.klix.shtml

This is a very large storm!
Hurricane Force Winds extenbd out 120 miles from the central eye - 240 mile diameter.

It looks like Buras, LA is “ground zero”, placing New Orleans barely on the “safer” left quadrant.

Buras-Triumph. Louisiana is located about centre of the peninsula (on the Mississippi River) at 29̊21'6" North x 89̊30'50" West (29.351783 x 089.513815)

New Orleans is just beneath the centre of Lake Pontchartrain, at Lat 30.03N x Lon 089.95W.

From the NHC:
AT 6 AM CDT...1100Z...THE CENTER OF MAJOR HURRICANE KATRINA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 29.1 NORTH... LONGITUDE 89.6 WEST OR ABOUT
MIDWAY BETWEEN GRAND ISLE AND THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.
THIS IS ALSO ABOUT 70 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF NEW ORLEANS
LOUISIANA AND ABOUT 95 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF BILOXI MISSISSIPPI.

Old 11-09-2005, 13:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

New Orleans Flood Map, indicates water depth by location.
http://mapper.cctechnol.com

Old 04-10-2005, 07:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Damage Assessments

From “Canadian Underwriter” magazine: http://www.cdnunderwriter.com/

Total property damage from Katrina storm surge estimated

Property damage caused by water related to Hurricane Katrina will reach a total figure of approximately $44 billion, according to AIR Worldwide Corp.
"Katrina resulted in an unprecedented level of water damage," Dr. Jayanta Guin, vice president of research and modeling at AIR Worldwide, says. "While the flooding of New Orleans in the aftermath of the storm has garnered the most attention, we estimate that the devastating storm surge along the Gulf Coast, including southern Louisiana, was equally destructive."
AIR estimates that Katrina's storm surge will result in an additional $21.4 billion of damage in Louisiana (excluding New Orleans), Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. Storm surge, which is the water forced ashore by a hurricane, is highest to the right side of the storm's center. The force of the water can knock structures off their foundations, sometimes depositing them at considerable distance from their original locations.
"We conducted this analysis because there is a great deal of uncertainty among insurers as to how much of the total water damage from Katrina they will ultimately have to cover," Guin adds.
A breakdown of AIR's total estimated flood and surge losses reveals that storm surge losses are: US$22.6 billion in New Orleans; $16.2 billion in Louisiana; $4.4 billion in Mississippi; $793 million in Alabama; and, $32 million in Florida.

See also:

“Jewelery insurer says Katrina looting costs $700,000"
http://www.cdnunderwriter.com/articl...issue=10042005

“Katrina victims offered retroactive flood coverage”
http://www.cdnunderwriter.com/articl...issue=09302005