Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 15:42   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Hurricane - Dinghy Storage

So a hurricane is heading in the general direction to effect the Northeast. So tomorrow I'll go to the boat (on a mooring) and tie stuff down some more.

Now the harbor is pretty protected in general and I'm not that worried about the boat blowing off the mooring or breaking/wearing though the lines. But last year when a gail came though the dingy did some serious swinging on the davits (but it all stayed together and the outboard was even on the dingy). I don't really want to take the dingy apart and put it below; so the question is whether it is best to leave on the davits (maybe tied down some) or to put it in the water with a extra line to it?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 16:20   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Don, we always put it in the water with a COUPLE of strong lines at different attachment points and pull the plug and let it fill with water. In high winds it will go airborne. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 16:30   #3

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
After just going through Earl in St. Martin... my advice would ... well at least if you like your dingy... take it apart and put it away..... If it looks really bad take everything off the deck of your boat.. sails... boom.. kite pole etc and stick it below. I saw too many people loose boats because the didn't really want to take the time to prepare.

Have you checked said mooring lately?
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 16:41   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
My achilles soft floor with a 4hp 4 stroke went airborne in a sudden squal. It was the oddest thing. I looked back and saw the dinghy almost level with the stern rail. My slow mind knows I should not see this at this angle. As I watched it turned turtle disappeared and then went airborne again righted itself and proudly bobbed through the rest motor still hanging on. Id swear it was grinning A did you see what I just did ./.&* eating grin. Id stow it. I just checked the dinghy rack here Chesapeake bay (US) and very few dinghys are well secured. Sorry that wasn't helpful but stow it "it will be worth the effort if it was worth it" Yogi bera.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 16:56   #5

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
After just going through Earl in St. Martin... my advice would ... well at least if you like your dingy... take it apart and put it away..... If it looks really bad take everything off the deck of your boat.. sails... boom.. kite pole etc and stick it below. I saw too many people loose boats because the didn't really want to take the time to prepare.

Have you checked said mooring lately?
That sounds like really good advice. Isn't the theory to reduce windage to a minimum and increase mooring support as much as possible. I would think the mantra would be strip it naked, check mooring security, mitigate chafe, and don't be downwind of violators of the above mantra. I have no experience but am about to get some during this October in the Sea of Cortez, both at anchor and in a slip. Last year in San Carlos they got an Oct. 'cane which spent itself over that town in 15 hours of hard rain. So this topic holds some immediate interest for me.

btw, isn't an airborne dinghy adding literal tons of drag on the rode?
Old 01-09-2010, 18:18   #6

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Heres a few pictures.... the ones without masts had their roller furled headsails unroll and bring down the mast. Every boat I saw drag.. not all of them on their own... had sails.. booms, biminis, wind generators, dingy s and solar panels.... some of them all the above.

Get everything off the deck.... tie your boat to the bottom of the ocean with the strongest gear you can find.. then pray no one near you drags into your boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	18866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	18867  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg