Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 15:06   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Hurricane Anchoring Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
In the last 10 years I have anchored my boats in Hurricanes: Wilma, Karina (in Florida where it was cat 2) and Sandy.

Had a friend who rode out Katrina when it hit NOLA. He was way up a bayou off Lake Ponchatrain...had to use a chainsaw to get out.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 15:30   #17

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa

One thing I did learn very quick was that no matter who tells you that they'll give you a hand to prepare if you need it, DONT rely on anyone else for anything!!!
Cyclone Yasi in Queensland was the first time I'd ever been in a cyclone, let alone having to prepare and secure my yacht (our family home).
You learn real quick when all the 'mates' that offered to give you a hand bail on you because they are dealing with their own stuff.
All really good advice given here. If possible just get as far up a mangrove creek, put out a bow and stern anchor and use ALL your rope and lines to tie off to the mangrove roots as low as possible.

The only boats from Hinchinbrook Marina in Cardwell, Queensland that survived were the ones whose owners did exactly that. The rest were totalled.
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 18:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Rio Dulce, Guatemala.
+1

Run for the tightest smallest hole and tie off to mangroves or something stationary. I survived a Cat 2 and barely survived a Cat 3 by picking such a hole.

Almost any anchor you can deploy from a yacht will be almost worthless given enough fetch, wind, and time in any open environment.

I would rather be skinned up while hunkered down alone up a tiny mangrove creek, than swinging at end of the most secure rode in an open anchorage, because sooner or later, if you don't break loose, one of your neighbors is going to come calling.
mystic_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 20:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
After Hurricanes Wilma and Katrina hit Coconut Grove Sailing Club and the Club lost/ ran aground almost 50 boats the Moorings Chairman, Billy Beavers and I, wrote and taught a day-long, yearly Hurricane Preparedness Course. Billy has anchored boats in every hurricane to hit Miami over the last 25-30 years, all without serious damage, and can be considered an expert.
I've sat through one of Bill's lectures. I have an equally high opinion of his knowledge & suggested practices.

In general, I think that the people at CGSC have a better working understanding of ground tackle than most other people in that area.

I believe that Bill still gives those speeches & last that I checked, most anyone was welcomed to come hear what he had to say. For me, it was time well spent.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 21:28   #20

I admire all of you skippers who have had and survived hurricane experiences.

In reading about this topic over the years, one thing has occurred to me repeatedly: There is "all this talk" about finding the mangroves, heading deep into them, etc. However, with all the danged boats, say in southern FL, how many mangroves do you folks have? Do you ever run out of mangroves? Or is it that most skippers leave/tie up as best they can their boats and those "in the know" actually pick up, go upriver, and "do it right?" Does it get "crowded" upriver?

This is a serious question I've been meaning to ask for years, since I don't have to face those issues where I live.

Good luck to you all for a low 'cane season.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 21:39   #21

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

That's a good question. At port Douglas N. Queensland nearly all the moored boats were ripped away by a cyclone and that is mangrove country. Most would be insured and a good chance to get another boat cheap.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 21:43   #22

Boat: Lagoon 420

My sailing instructor from Biloxi, MS took his 35' mono up into the mangroves and tied off and survived Katrina unscathed. He has a nice souvenir of a bowline knot that he tied on a line to the mangroves that cannot be undone!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 21:51   #23

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

In reading about this topic over the years, one thing has occurred to me repeatedly: There is "all this talk" about finding the mangroves, heading deep into them, etc. However, with all the danged boats, say in southern FL, how many mangroves do you folks have? Do you ever run out of mangroves? Or is it that most skippers leave/tie up as best they can their boats and those "in the know" actually pick up, go upriver, and "do it right?" Does it get "crowded" upriver?

This is a serious question I've been meaning to ask for years, since I don't have to face those issues where I live.

With the boat populations in some areas of the Queensland coast it can get tight and regulars defend their spots.

Know quite a few Cairns vessels that always head for the Hinchinbrook channel mangroves.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 22:17   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
n.
A lot of spots are taken by the locals, signs on trees etc and even if there isnt a sign but some local prawn trawler see you in "his" spot then he will just barge in.

Some area have committees to work it out. I dont know how good they are.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 22:21   #25

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
A lot of spots are taken by the locals, signs on trees etc and even if there isnt a sign but some local prawn trawler see you in "his" spot then he will just barge in.

Some area have committees to work it out. I dont know how good they are.
That it. They own that patch of mangrove.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:57   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:

Despite the huge number of boats in Florida very few, by percentage, are moved in preparation of a hurricane. Most people have a primary concern to defend their house ashore; and then their relatives; and then their business; and maybe next their boat. The great majority that take on any preparation for a hurricane with their boat are securing it with additional dock lines in place and not moving the boat. Many will not be able to move their boat because once an evacuation of coastal areas is in progress, there is no opening of bridges that would slow the road traffic. It's been my experince that only those with the boat as their primary interest and those with the ability to move their boat well before the hurricane path is confirmed will be those moving to the "hurricane holes". This can still be too crowded for best protection.
Old 18-06-2014, 22:05   #27

In my area, the good mangrove spots are usually gone about 3 days before a major storm hits. Upriver spots usually start drying up about 2 days before. If you do not have a pre-paid haul out plan or a trailer of your own, your safest bet in my area, late in the game, is to head for the marine stadium & anchor up there. That place usually has space up until the last minute.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 00:30   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
Good responses so far. Which Caribbean islands offer the best and most numerous "Hurricane Holes"? If you had enough time, which would be your go-to hole?

assume you are talking about eastern caribbean -- trinidad
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 03:45   #29

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Great thread!!! Ive heard of boats surviving cat 4,& 5's up in the shark river area. I have a question being aboard in Fl.
Would you prefer tying up in a tight mangrove creek w no fetch and decent protection or hauled out ?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:35   #30

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

The former.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, hurricane