Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2008, 05:39   #46

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Cooper
Two things you said in your earlier post I can't agree with.
One, you said a steel boat is more work, more work that what, for years I owned wooden boats and they make my steel boat look like child's play. My steel boat was first launched in 2002 and for all intent and purpose it is still like new. If the boat is sand blasted to white metal and covered with the right coatings and insulated with closed cell foam it should reguire very little work. I have one problem area that is being correct as I write this and that is the very top edge on the bullwork that was not coated correctly when first painted. Sharp edges do not like paint. Round the edge and the coatings will do their work.
Two, you said (in so many words) that the boats are not as good looking as there fiberglass counterparts. Not so take a look at Graham Radford Yacht designs web site at look at his designs. When seen in real life you could not tell that my Radford 450 was not Glass when in fact she is steel. Total fair with a round hull, no chines, no flat spots. The boat not only looks good but sails right along with other 45' cruising boats not giving up and inch and passing many. She is stiff in a 35 knot breeze and dry as a bone. Looks are in the eyes of the beholder and I always sailed very traditional wood boats so the Radford did take some getting used to but for someone used to today's designs she is right up there.
Thanks for listening
Davi
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 14:38   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Steel hull, Steel mast, originally "North Circular" bending boom, later "Park Avenue" boom; Originated use of double-clewed "quadrilateral" jib; Sold to Herman Andrae; Chartered to Sopwith for 1936; Broke loose from tow mid-ocean returning to England, September 1937; Laid up 1937 Camper & Nicholson; Sold for scrap 1947 to Charles Kerridge Limited, intent to scrap keel for lead content, but hull reprieved; sat as abandoned hulk for decades; sold for 10 pounds in 1970's; restoration started; sold to Elizabeth Meyer 1984; restored by Meyer, with Gerard Dykstra as designer, work completed at Royal Huisman and re-launched in 1989; sold to Dennis Kozlowski (2000), yacht based in Newport, RI; sold to Cassio Antunes (2006) for reported $13.1 million USD, apparent plan to base in Cayman Islands and Cascais, Portugal

YEP, she looks like a shoe box to me.....lolololololol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EndeavourBeam0012.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	5126  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 16:26   #48

I put this icon there .....

......Taken to task and duly shamed.....My steel boat is blasted to white metal with a huge amount of epoxy and I don't anticipate much in the way of maintenance. My comments about shape is not my feelings its the comments that have been said to me usually about hard chine boats from non boat owners....

I love it when people push my barrow !!!! (i am a steel boat lover )

: ) : ) : ) : ) : ) : ) ; )
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 11:07   #49
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had the privledge of watching Endeavour sail west under the Golden Gate while flying over the bridge in a restored DC3. What a beautiful sight.

Later that evening I walked the dock along side her, and ran my fingers alongside her dark blue hull. It sent shivers throughout me.....LUST
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 16:53   #50

Send a message via Yahoo to geneWj
Thumbs down Hull material

Sorry fellows:
Somehow U got me in this group. I have never discussed hull materials on this board.
thanks but goodbye
genewj
Old 01-06-2015, 12:57   #51

Re: Hull material

Hello !
I´m just revieuwing hull materials for best hull, and I´m with you, I have the same opinion. Thanks and best seas ! Claude
spaincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull