Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2015, 15:55   #16

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Hull finish - Smooth as glass?

It looked to me like someone slapped on a quick coat of bottom paint without bothering to remove and fair the areas of loose paint beneath it. I wouldn't see it as a real big deal but it is sloppy and may reflect on the way the boat was maintained overall. Or, since the boat is for sale, it might have been something the broker arranged at a bargain price to dress the boat up a bit compared to before it was painted. Not impressive, but not a biggie either, and not too hard to greatly improve with a putty knife and wire brush and electric sander with attached vacuum, or a wet Scotch Brite pad if it's softer, ablative paint.

I'm a fan of ablative bottom paint and doing it myself. I wear long sleeves and rubber gloves and only do it outdoors so ventilation isn't an issue. I've found that having it done by a "professional" usually means the newest high school kid to get hired at the yard, or the adult worker who is incapable of anything more complicated, who is getting stuck with all the jobs nobody else at the yard wants. I'm pretty confident I can do a better job and using ablative paint it doesn't take nearly as long to prep as with hard paint and since it's only once a year for a few hours, I'm not too worried about the short term exposure to the toxins. Since I'm using ablative paint, I never have to strip it or use a sander, just a ScotchBrite pad and a bucket of water to keep rinsing it in as I go over the whole bottom before painting, so there is not dust to breath. Works great!

jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 16:27   #17

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

When I do mine I vacuum sand wearing my space suit and protective gear, then re-apply new products according to instructions, also wearing protective gear. I am very happy w/ the results.

2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer Mercruiser
454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp / Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 16:37   #18
Bailing as fast as I can.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Swanson 42

When we did the last job I was a bit careless with my protective clothing. I ended up smearing some of the sanded dust on my forearm, and then accidently rubbed this against my temple, clearing the sweat out of my eyes. By late that afternoon both patches of skin felt like they were badly sunburned.

I will be a LOT more careful next time.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 22:05   #19

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Has anyone used Toon-Brite Protective Clear Coat ?
It says can be used on hulls , topsides , etc.
Its for marine use and the spec sheet looks very promising .

Any thoughts ?

Thanks Steve.
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 00:14   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch

Originally Posted by Kim Klaka View Post
A3. Any paint roughness thicker than a human hair will increase friction drag and slow the boat down (in nav arch speak, roughness height has to be less than boundary layer sub-layer thickness). Cruisers tend to think they don't need a smooth bottom, but it will reduce your passage times, cut your fuel bill down and, most important in my view, make sailing your fast boat more enjoyable.
Unless you clean and polish the bottom once a week it's about 2 feet from the bow what needs to be "smooth". Boundary layer at the stern is 100 folds a hair..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:51   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The barnacle bases on the sail drive are a nice touch and a dead giveaway that it's a "Wham bam thank you Ma'am" job.

"I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned,
but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

-Thomas Sowell
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: