Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 04:01   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee 32 Offshore 1980
Re: How/where to off-load new boat near Kemah, Tx.

I would recommend Starship Marina. They have both a new lift and crane. Work can be done on the hard there by owner or anyone he hires. Located on FM 2094 just next to Legend Point Marina on Clear Lake.
ndavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 04:02   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee 32 Offshore 1980

I would recommend Starship Marina. They have both a new lift and crane. Work can be done on the hard there by owner or anyone he hires. Located on FM 2094 just next to Legend Point Marina on Clear Lake.
ndavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter42 View Post
I'm working on having an aluminum boat built and am looking over my options on how to off-load it upon arrival. 42' with a draft of 5'-6". I have a few months before this happens. Eventually, it'll be a live aboard, but till I finish it, it's just a shell with prop and shaft.

I live near Clear Lake, Tx. Because the boat is unfinished on the inside and above deck, can it be placed in the water legally? It has no registration of any sort yet. Also, I'm guessing because of the work still required, it can't be placed just in any marina as that might bother others with noise.

Also, if anyone is familiar with clear lake, I'm getting the idea this lake is too shallow for this draft. Can anyone confirm and make recommendations?

Any help much appreciated. Thoughts?
Unless you have a crew that is going to work to get this boat done in a hurry, you will save a huge amount of money by using your lot to do the work on the boat. You want the boat on the hard to do the interior, as it should be level to assist you in getting everything built.
If a trailer truck can make it around that corner, they can get your boat around it.
If that doesn't work, check around for a suitable location. I found a spot in the back of a small industrial park that I was able to rent for next to nothing. I was next to a machine shop which came in particularly handy.
Figure this project is going to take you 2-3 times what you are estimating to get done. Good luck.
72harley1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 23:30   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Since u r in hot country it would be so nice to have framing above the boat that can be plywood or heavy tarp. Trust me, the extra cost will be rewarded 4 fold with comfort and time saved.

I knew a guy who did something similar to what u r about to do. He found an old beat up industrial building and convinced the owner to let him use it for a couple of years. Much more secure than a marina. In marinas things sometimes disappear. You can't leave everything just laying around. For example.. u r plumbing in some wiring. You have to stop for a couple of days because u r waiting for some panel. At a marina u would want to take all of your electrical paraphernalia and box it up. In your own lot or a commercial building u would just let it lay.

You will need to set up areas to spray things in. U will need lay up tables for epoxy set up. You will need a compost toilet. A cot. A small set up for kitchen. Heck, a cheap arse pull behind camper would work. U will need a shower of some sorts to get all the metal filings, welding flux, paints, sawdust, and pixie dust off u.

A nice heavy industrial fan to keep the fumes down and cool u will be mandatory. I would leave the sides of the building site open.

Build a proper gantry that is wide and not Mickey Mouse in any way. No fricking ladders.

Protect your skin and lungs at all times from fumes. Buy a full face paint mask with organic vapor cartridges. Make a decision early whether to use epoxy or vinyl ester. Buy expensive tools like a good dual action oscillating sander. Buy your abrasives in bulk on line. You might want to think about buying a good quality air compressor.

Well I'm excited for u. U have a million things to thing of. Have fun.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 07:00   #20

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Having rebuilt(still in process) a boat this last year and a half....I can't imagine trying to do all that you will be required to do in the water. This boat needs to have a proper work space with safe scaffolding built. You have a year plus...maybe even 2-3 years yet of hard work to flesh her out.

You can't just walk up to a boat on the hard and climb a ladder with all of the sheets of ply that will be required. All of the electrical and plumbing required...where would the setup areas be for all of the cutting and welding? While she is sitting in the water you have all of the associated problems of marine growth...possible electrolytic issues of metal boats...and weather issues of high winds during summer gulf of mexico storms.

A proper scaffold will allow safety and access to the boat without the other 'in the water' issues come into play. This is a huge project you are undertaking. It seems to me that the boat being built out of aluminum is the easy part. Fleshing her out is the hardest part. Set up for doing the work the most efficiently and safest way possible is key.

I worked on my boat at a marina for a good six months. Everyday put in at least 6 hours and sometimes up to 10 hours. I am old guy. But in awhile you will meet dozens of guys working on their boats. You will know everything they are doing. You will hear at least a couple of stories of guys who fell off their ladders...or they know of someone who fell off of ladders. Sometimes only leads to bruises and sprains. But one young fella not only broke his arm he tore ligaments in his shoulder and hand. He is 20 years old and still has lingering effects 2 years later. He said it took 6 months before he could even come back to his boat to start again. To see his face...how he had lost momentum...time...and money...was stressful for him.

Just me...do the work on the hard. Set up a proper gantry and scaffold. Secondly, I do not know why this project would need to be at a marina. Why can't you rent some industrial space in a yard and do all of this much cheaper than at a marina? It is carpentry, metal work, electrical, plumbing, .....etc.

You picked a good hull. Always liked the aluminum boats. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress. Forum members love pictures of anything.
This is good advice! Having helped build a boat (steel) and now in the third year of my refit, I can add:
  • You want to establish a firm and LEVEL hull to work on. just like building a house, you will use a level and plumb bob to locate your bulk heads and interior fixtures. Much easier then just working off measuring from floor frames.
  • Additionally, you will need ROOM, a finger pier will not suffice. I have a 16' box trailer next to my boat full of tools and supplies and it is packed. Think table saw and cutting sheets of plywood.
  • Also, weather. You need shelter from rain and wind to allow you to work when you can. Not when the weather allows. This is hard enough in a boat yard but very difficult in a marina.
  • finally cost. This will take you 2 to 3 times longer to accomplish then you think! Trust me! I know, I figured one year for my refit. The list never stops growing Find you a cheap spot with water and power that is secure and get'erdone.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 15:14   #21

Finally made a trip back out there and I think I feel better about getting the boat around the corner. I’ve attached a photo of the lot where I intend to off-load the hull. So most of my questions are just about how to set things up to off-load it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Since u r in hot country it would be so nice to have framing
Agreed about hot country. Thanks for the advice. This gives me ideas. I’m now looking at an RV shelters, open on the sides, but has a roof. Cost seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
You want to establish a firm and LEVEL hull to work on.
Can a boat be set on that ground as is, or does some sort of bedding need to be put into place? I’ve looked at support stands, tripods and such, and I can’t help but think how a boat would put so much weight on those things that they’d just sink into the ground after some long rains. Wondering if I should use a cradle or something different since it will be on the hard for at least two years.

Once I figure out how to stand it up for that long, then I guess the process is to rent a crane to off-load it, stand it up, then put some framing around it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-lot.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	169275  
Cutter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:48   #22

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter42 View Post

Can a boat be set on that ground as is, or does some sort of bedding need to be put into place? I’ve looked at support stands, tripods and such, and I can’t help but think how a boat would put so much weight on those things that they’d just sink into the ground after some long rains. Wondering if I should use a cradle or something different since it will be on the hard for at least two years.

Cutter42
A custom cradle is of course the best for stability and easiest to level and it spreads the load out over a larger area. However, it is expensive to have built. I have a machine and fabrication business and I wanted to build a cradle for my refit project but the trucking company wouldn't hold the delivery long enough for me to build one.

I am using boat stands. I used treated plywood squares under the cross braces of the stands to prevent sinking in the ground. Don't put them under the feet as you want them to dig in to prevent slipping. They need adjustment for a while. I adjusted my stands everyday for about a month and now just check them every week are two but haven't had to adjust them much since. Once they settle in they are very stable. I put four per side and one on the bow. Make sure to chain between the stands.

I put 6x6 blocks 2 wide at 4 places under the keel (full keel) which carries all the wait. Make these at least 2ft long to spread out the weight.

it is difficult to answer your question because we don't know how soft the ground. If you have time I would but down gravel and roll It with your vehicle every day for a few weeks to pack it down.

But if had it all to do over again I would build a cradle.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, kemah, loa