Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2014, 11:16   #16

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: How to prepare for lightening strike???

Lightening HOLES? So how do they work????

Old 25-09-2014, 11:21   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think it's a joke... the holes make the plane "lighter"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:23   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, same reason the squirrel can run down a high power line, aircraft do often sustain minor damage though, not sure about the squirrrels
I would be interesting to know if data is kept regarding where planes are struck most often. ie: does it hit a lightening rod more often or just hits somewhere random....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:24   #19

Damn, here is was envisioning putting those on the boat and watching the lightening circle around in them-
Old 25-09-2014, 11:27   #20

Boat: Liberty 458

Lightning protection for dummies would likely read as follows:
1) Avoid a strike (either avoid area or hope someone else gets hit)
2) if struck you want the lightning to ground, in the ocean, by the shortest lowest resistance path. The skin effect of high voltage means down the standing rigging and never through the vessel is what you want.
3) Have redundancy for components susceptible to damage in a lightning strike

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-09-2014, 11:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
I lightened my boat by leaving one of the two anchors ashore. I lightened the sails with an application of Concrobium, then clean water. I didn't prepare for either event, other than having some chilled beer ready to drink after the sail cleaning.
Thanks, avoids me having to do my How To Spell rant (conclusions: proper spelling helps searching on the internet). However, given the massive amount of incorrect spelling of this word, the wrong spelling will probably get the host hits (pi!).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:33   #22

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

It's enlightening to read the advice about "lightening" [sp] but I prefer to believe more in those who wrote about lightning.

Old 25-09-2014, 11:43   #23

Yes, engineers are typically not good spellers- glad that many were able to translate my question to give usable information- I will how ever strive to learn as always and use the proper spelling of LIGHTNING- thank grammer guru;s
Old 25-09-2014, 11:45   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would be interesting to know if data is kept regarding where planes are struck most often. ie: does it hit a lightning rod more often or just hits somewhere random....
Data is definitely kept, by several agencies I'd bet, aircraft have no lightning rods, dissipators or whatever, they have static wicks that discharge static of course and often lightning will exit from these or wingtips, it seems to find a sharp corner for some reason.
One interesting thing is that lightning can / will exit from several locations.
One AH-64 that I watched get struck in Hanau Germany that was chained to the ground by six steel chains to grounded tie downs, the lightning exited from the pitot tubes as well. We knew this as the pitot tube covers had holes burned through the ends of them. The AH-64 is a flying computer, dozens of them and packed with electronics, but even though it was a direct hit, everything worked, and there are no provisions to protect the avionics from a lightening hit.

I feel sure that the only thing you can count on with lightning is that it does not follow any rules, there are no absolutes
Old 25-09-2014, 11:57   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Just in case: become a member of all major religions, except for pastafarianism.

I hope this helps.

b.
Old 25-09-2014, 12:07   #26

[QUOTE=barnakiel;1637516]Just in case: become a member of all major religions, except for pastafarianism.
QUOTE]
But I love Pasta!!!! Though I'm not sure I'm ready to join the church of the the flying spegetti monster
Old 25-09-2014, 12:33   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

so far, (knocking all the wood i can find, starting with my skull, ) i have practiced avoidance, even while in middle of it ... eeps.... pretend it is a spider. dont mess with it... mebbe it will go away.
or add a jumper cables to a stay. place ends in water outside boat. good luck. now it can see you..
personally i prefer the crocs, rubber rain suit and wood wheel... and bubba helps keep lightning away.
as for lightening, my boat prefers heavier.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 13:36   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A lightening rod is the big stick carried on cattle boats. Liberally applied to the posterior of the cattle to get them off the boat, thus lightening it.
Old 25-09-2014, 14:33   #29

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--

2) if struck you want the lightning to ground, in the ocean, by the shortest lowest resistance path. The skin effect of high voltage means down the standing rigging and never through the vessel is what you want.

Best in show from the above comments....from my twelve years aboard-

Santa Rosa Sound marina (Pensacola, FL area)... five years ago- watched a Fine Thunderstorm roll from the Interstate -10 Corridor out across the Sound and into the Gulf-lots of strikes. Really appreciated the Sailors on either side of the Motor Vessel.

Was facing to Starboard, when the Mast four boats away was struck on the Iron Plate atop the Mainmast-Like fireworks --sparklers traced an arc to the Water.

Owner showed and We reviewed the situation-
1. The Wet lines had carried the voltage down the standing rigging-around the Winches and into the water-the Black traces on the Gel coat came off with cleaner/polish-

2. No damage to any of the electrical--- radios-electric winches.

Last Spring in the Abacos-This Cap'n got stupid, and was caught at anchor behind Morine Cay Reef-- as the Storm came in from the North Atlantic-soaked four 50 foot lines in salt water-Draped them from the Solar Panels other high points-into the Atlantic...

Mariners Luck was with me and the Vessel-
Kudos for the "skin effect" above..... think this will be my Lightning Plan.
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:43   #30

Come you clowns! Lightning is a real and present danger at sea,"lightening", not so much,(although there are several skippers I worked for that I would have liked to see go over the side to lighten things up!). Most boats with aluminum masts(perfect lightning rod!) and wire rigging have a real potential to draw a strike while out in the open sea, the trick is to route the current off the bottom of the mast and the lower ends of the chain plates using heavy (like battery cable heavy)wire,with no sharp bends to the keel bolts,(if you have a lead or cast-steel keel), or to a copper ground plate underwater. this at least gives the current a path to ground which may save a major repair bill, or not. I have viewed a number of insurance adjuster photographs of the damage created by stray lightning current travelling through semi-saturated balsa cored bulkheads and hull lay-up to get to a sea-cock and ground. Pretty much looks like a bomb went off!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: