Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 10:58   #1

How to get started??

Hi recently I've really started to want to go sailing, but have no idea as to what I should do to make this dream a reality.

Im 24 years old and a full time medical student in Manchester and have no sailing experience what so ever. The closest I've got is rowing, which I did for a few years and loved, but doubt any of the skills transfer across. Basically a friend of mine sailed around Europe and into the Mediterranean from the UK last Summer and his experiences literally took my breath away. I know it requires a decent amount of experience and kit to make a journey like that, and I understand this isn't the sort of thing you can chose to do overnight.

What I want to know is how to go about starting sailing, what courses are absolutely required, and essentially what steps would be required before undertaking a trip like that? Is there a chance I would be ready within 3-5 years?

Thanks
Kretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 19:59   #2

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Re: How to get started??

I'm not sure of the training available in the U.K. But in the U.S. There are either individuals or groups that offer instruction. That said I learned by reading books on the technical aspects of sailing and then bought a 37ft. Ketch and put them in practice. My wife and I sailed that boat for 20 years, both coastal and blue water and never had any problems with sail management. That said, however, I would recommend you get to know people either in a yacht club or a sailboat marina and see if you can get on as crew. Whatever you do let the boat owner know where you stand experience wise and what your goals are. It should not take you long before your an asset aboard. A few months with ears and eyes open, and some good questions and you'll be ready to strike out on your own!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 20:52   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

Is your friend still sailing? Any chance you could jump on next summer?

So far as I can tell, the hardest part about cruising is getting your life priorities squared away and committing to actually making it happen!

I also skipped the classroom. Some friends and I jumped on a boat when I was 25, did some tinkering, and started off. Currently 32 and just getting back out there after buying my own boat 3 years ago. Other's have had (greater) success with far different approaches.

It sure as hell isn't always easy! The common denominator seems to be just really wanting to do it. I'd say try and get out there in at least a limited capacity sooner rather than later, at the very least to confirm to yourself it's something you really want to do.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 21:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a little reading for you.

Learn to sail - Google Search

Have fun and good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kretz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:21   #6

Great Schools over in the UK
Try the Royal Yachting Association website
I just completed Coastal Skipper at Shearwater Sailing School
And can recommend them without reservation
They were great instructors and great fun
Cheers
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:26   #7

Boat: Alajuela 38

I'd second Laika's point. You have to really want to then you will. My first try was in a dinghy in the lake district. Glenans sailing manual is a good reference to have on the shelf when you come back from splashing about with mates and have a question. You will find the way that works for you. Does your uni have a sailing club? You may need to commute to a club or perhaps Liverpool? It doesn't too much matter whether you start on a dinghy or fully fledged boat. Just take the opportunities that are open to you and of course beware, things can and always will go wrong. Experience is gained by dealing with them!
Impetuous too is offline   Reply With Quote