Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2016, 17:06   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to pzmaria
How to approach boat buying process?

Hello everyone. Pretty soon (next 3-4 months) I will be looking for a boat. What I have in mind is a three cabin Beneteau Oceanis 45-50'. No older than 1998 but not to new as my budget is somehow limited. Never bought such big and expensive boat so don't realy know where and how to start this process to make as few mistakes as possible. Have some pointers from people and from reading but would like to hear first hand advice and opinions.

- boat final destination will be Caribbean side (marina in Mexico) so I think buying on the East Coast/Bahamas/Caribbean would make more sense.

- I'd like to get this done thru boat broker as I hope he will look after all paperwork required, survey, communication with seller, money transfer etc. Who pays for broker services? Is it like realtor who get his commission from a seller side?

- will the broker look for a boat for me or I point the boat to the broker. Are they limited to specific areas like in real estate realtors are? If so that brings a question whether to find a broker first and be limited in search to his area or find a boat and then look for a broker that is in the area?

- how to find a reliable and trustworthy broker? A broker that knows his stuff and that you would completely trust, would be on your side thru the whole process. As I live in western Canada I will have to work with him remotely and get to the location for viewing and final purchase process.

- obtaining a boat insurance. I have been sailing smaller boats on inland waters for years but my offshore experience is limited ASA certification 101, 103, 104.
I suspect that obtaining an insurance might be a little tricky since there is no record of inland sailing.

- finding a skipper that will help to deliver boat to final destination as my offshore experience is limited to ASA courses for now. It will be a heavy boat that needs skills that I don't have yet, but want to use delivery trip for learning these new skills.

It' a lot of questions, but please bear with me end thank you to all members who have patience to read this and give their input.
pzmaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: