Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 12:31   #1

How tight are your jack stays?

Just had some fitted from cockpit exit through to trampoline area on our 40' catamaran. They fit snug from pad eye to pad eye, but feel there is quite a bit of give if pulled up around the middle. Obviously the longer that distance between pad eyes, the more the give. Any rules of thumb?
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 13:50   #2

Re: How tight are your jack stays?

jackstays and tethers will usually keep you attached to the boat, but don't expect them to keep you standing up on the deck. At 10 knots, you separate from the boat at the rate of 300 metres a minute. A stay and tether means no separation and so an improved chance of staying alive. Increasing the tension on the stays won't do a lot to improve the situation. In the past I used a double tether and hooked onto solid objects. In rough weather I don't set the jib or do much to make me go forward. My current rule is: if I need to use a tether, I should be back in port.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 13:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How tight are your jack stays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRabbit View Post
Just had some fitted from cockpit exit through to trampoline area on our 40' catamaran. They fit snug from pad eye to pad eye, but feel there is quite a bit of give if pulled up around the middle. Obviously the longer that distance between pad eyes, the more the give. Any rules of thumb?
"Snug" is just fine.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote