Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:05   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: How tall is your mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
So the foot of your mast is 3' below the waterline...and your mast is 57'6" long?

Just checking. I've never tried going under the Cape May bridge, with a air draft of 55' plus antenna. Maybe I can try it with a spring neap tide. Going around those shoals adds a couple of hours :\
There's a pair of the 55' MHW fixed bridges in the Cape May Canal. You could pass under at any of the times between mid and low tide. Our only times that caused us to come close were related to our desire to make the favorable current on the Delaware River. It's easy to anchor on the east side of these bridges near the US Coast Guard station, but there's no good anchorage to the west. I've anchored in the channel west of the bridges waiting for clearance. This was in daylight and with VHF contact with passing vessels.

I know my exact clearance because, as an avid gunkholer, I passing under about one hundred bridges a year,- about half fixed and half opened. I have seven bridges between my present location and the ocean. I've met long time sailors that have never opened a bridge. 'just depends on where and how you crusie.
Old 09-03-2014, 16:21   #62

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Re: How Tall is Your Mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Mine is 74' to the top of the mast and lights, 78' to the top of the antenna; not that hard to measure. Pull up a halyard to the masthead block (spinnaker halyard is easiest); measure to deck...
Then measure deck to waterline when tanks are half full...

Add the two...
Add the height of anything on top of your mast...

Total is height above water.

Scott, I always had trouble measuring from the deck where the mast enters to the water surface. A lot of curves make it complicated. I read about using 2x4s and having them extending out over the water on both sides and then hanging tape measures on each side. Very complicated. It took me awhile to figure out a better and more accurate way.

I took clear tubing and connected it to a thru-hull thus making a water level. I marked the water level on the mast by holding the tubing next to the mast. The water level in the tube is the same as the water level outside. The next time the mast was pulled I measured to the mark from the top of the mast. I would think this would be very accurate.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:28   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: How Tall is Your Mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
I took clear tubing and connected it to a thru-hull thus making a water level. I marked the water level on the mast by holding the tubing next to the mast. The water level in the tube is the same as the water level outside. .........................
This is an excellent technique. I have marks in my engine room that I made by this method to show water level. 'a very wise plan!

Tags
mast