Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 20:19   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: How Serious the CG?

We just made the interior numbers into artwork. 4" as required carved in. Black walnut with gold leaf lettering. Mid 1900's Mexican compass point coins over the screws.

Outside - We got Traverse City, Mi on that nipped in stern at 4" with a bit of planning.

Boat name - short, economic at cost per letter; easy to say on the radio and easy to hear and understand. (Also mother-in-law's name)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2050013.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	51152   Click image for larger version

Name:	MYC on Sailstace.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	51153  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 20:34   #17

Boat: PT-11
Doc. no. with stickers is ok if you paint some clear epoxy over them - easiest way.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 20:47   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Doc. no. with stickers is ok if you paint some clear epoxy over them - easiest way.
We put a single layer of fiberglass over the stickers. You can see right through it, and it becomes difficult for a thief to cover it with paint, because the fiberglass will still show up.
Old 13-12-2012, 21:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
As if none of us have ever stolen a police car and filed and filled and buffed the VIN number off, invisibly.
Well I know I haven't, and I'm assuming most others on this forum haven't. Had a chequered past?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 22:19   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We just made the interior numbers into artwork. 4" as required carved in. Black walnut with gold leaf lettering. Mid 1900's Mexican compass point coins over the screws.
Nice artwork, but easily removed.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 22:39   #21

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
One season on a Nebraska lake, and the Coast Guard Axillary has said nothing. I guess I had best read up on the regulations and get compliant.

Only lettering affixed to the inside of my sailboat was a dumb looking rubber engraved raised lettering plaque saying at what distance from shore I could dump trash. As my shoreline is always close by, seemed like inappropriate signage so I removed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121214_003837.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	51154  
Old 13-12-2012, 23:53   #22

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Some say this isn't good enough, but its removal would definitely leave a scar.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 00:52   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

What about foreign boats? I plan on cruising the ICW and the US coast when we get over there. What regulations does the CG require me to adhere to?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 06:11   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Nice artwork, but easily removed.
yes, but leaves a mark.

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 06:57   #25

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Have transom mounted rudder. Hailing port name has 9 letters. At 4in that is 36 inches only 24in available per side. Guess I need a bigger boat or have to change my hailing port to something like Rio.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:06   #26

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Have transom mounted rudder. Hailing port name has 9 letters. At 4in that is 36 inches only 24in available per side. Guess I need a bigger boat or have to change my hailing port to something like Rio.
Actually, you're supposed to include the state abbrev, so your hailing port has 12 letters: "Cambridge MD". Even if you started on one side of the rudder and continued on the other, you would only barely have enough room.

On a smaller boat, the 4" requirement is just not practical. I suggest moving to Rio.
Old 15-12-2012, 07:23   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

permanent mark is kinda important if the boat ever gets stolen -- down here in the carib a couple have been stolen, names changed and a few coins and paperwork gets processed -- check out the don north story - i know the guy who killed him changed the boat name and port and they had to board to really determine it was his
we put our number inside a cockpit locker with lettering - then with a dramel outlined all the letters and at spots put in tiny divits - to cover it one would have to reglass the entire area

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck patty and svsoulmates
still in trini
(and spending too much money)
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:25   #28

Boat: Albin Vega 27
If you change home ports do you have to change the lettering. Just curious.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:37   #29

Hmmm? So what size does the vessel need to be to apply?

What about no name boats?

I have only been stoped for inspections by state water patrols. They never asked about weapons/guns. So what if you do have a gun on board? So what? So what happened to the land of the free stuff I was told and being free when you cruise, sounds worse than DWI check points in the car.

And, are you expected to change fonts, style, sizes from state to state if they vary? I always thought it was uniform and accepted by all states, like a license plate on your car. One state may only require a rear plate, some front and rear, but you don't get stoped for one plate in a two plates state if that is all that is required where it is registered.

If that's the case that's a mess!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:37   #30

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
If you change home ports do you have to change the lettering. Just curious.
You can put any home port on there as long as it is in the US list of place names. Must include the city and state, which may be abbreviated. It doens't have to be the place you actually keep your boat or the place you actually live. Yes, if you change the name on your documentation, which costs like $100 to do, you have to change the name on the boat lettering. The CG has checked my document against what is written on the boat, though I don't believe they ever measured the size of the letters. I would still go for 4 inches just to avoid any possible hassle--no need to give someone an excuse to take a bad day out on you.