Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2012, 17:14   #61

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Re: How Serious the CG?

Non documented vessels must be sate registered. Check with your state motor vehicle department for their marking regulations. I don't know of any state that requires anything but the state registration number marked on the vessel.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:26   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Non documented vessels must be sate registered. Check with your state motor vehicle department for their marking regulations. I don't know of any state that requires anything but the state registration number marked on the vessel.
in california you need the california CF numbers on the hull outside and you must have the hull number OR the CF number indelibly marked in a prominent place INSIDE the boat where it would be easily readable and obvious if messed with.
I sail between the Mexican border and San Francisco, I have been boarded pretty much every passage at least once. They don't care if I've been boarded in the last half hour or month. Usually, the boarding party includes ATF (alcohol tobacco and firearms), Immigration, Customs, and plain old coasties. Sometimes there's a dog as well... starts with a bullhorn asking last port and then the usual 'assume the position' , etc etc.
Keep a sense of humor and try to relax when they pull out the rubber gloves...
FYI - many times the signage requirements are being checked as training for younger crew. I don't mind and it's usually over in 10 minutes or so.
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:32   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Non documented vessels must be sate registered...........................
Florida, and I believe most states, require state registration for documented vessels too. Although the state registation numbers are not displayed on the bow of the documented vessel the registration decal must be displayed.
Old 15-12-2012, 17:42   #64

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Duplicates are allowed. Just look at the list of documented boats on NOAA's boat documentation site.
I stand corrected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that things have changed since I documented Carina back in 1979. It certainly was a requirement then. But the state abbreviation was not required unless necessary to resolve ambiguity (e.g. Portland OR vs ME) and now it is required. The documentation officer required that I use ORE as the two-letter postal abbreviation was still new. And the name used to be required to be 6" and the port 4", both of block letters; now it is 4" for both and the lettering must be "clearly legible" but no mention of block lettering.

Times change...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:47   #65

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

In California, the Department of Motor Vehicles does not require documented vessels to be state registered. I do not know the requirements for most other states.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 20:34   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Why not simply comply on the exterior lettering? And no, decals won't do it for the interior documentation number if anyone checks.
My pearson had decals on the inside of the hull from the factory, and they just coated them with a layer of epoxy The rule states it has to be damaging to remove so there ya go.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 21:11   #67

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
You guys opposed to big letters, good news! Move to the lakes of Nebraska, where the state regs mandate 3" letters for your boat licence number that must be on both sides of the boat on the bow. For a 26' to 40' boat the fee is 65 dollars for three years.

Regs also state licence number needs to be readable from 100 feet away (or the far side of the lake in other works) lol

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/boatin.../BGlicense.asp
Old 15-12-2012, 23:10   #68

And what lake would that be? Carter Lake? The big water...

Greg
Old 15-12-2012, 23:46   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
And what lake would that be? Carter Lake? The big water...

Greg
Carter Lake? That would be big water. Lol

I homestead out of Branched Oak. If you sneeze going by, you would miss it.

I will say, you cannot throw a stone or a rock clear across the lake. All clay. Lol

I have a jolly trailer, and good trucks, so my goal is to drive to a wider pond this spring or summer for a vacation. Somewhere you cannot see land, and test my compass skills. Chicago maybe. Somewhere with an active, vibrant marina in a downtown setting.
Old 16-12-2012, 00:33   #70

That is out in the tules.

At least you don't have to go through north Omaha to get to the lake. Growing up that was a no-go area.

Greg
Old 16-12-2012, 21:08   #71

Boat: Norsea 27

Though I've never been challanged in Washington State, I know it's considered to be illegal to show dual registration. A documented boat will show just name and hailing port but you have to put the state decal up forward to indicate you've paid the state taxes. Times do change and by all the previous posts, I need to add the state "WA" to my Lopez Is. I do hate the idea of changing the script name to block letters after 30 years. I sail into Canada a lot and no one there has ever mentioned anything.
Barry
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 23:34   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
That is out in the tules.

At least you don't have to go through north Omaha to get to the lake. Growing up that was a no-go area.

Greg
Sailboat at 24th and Lake? That would be like a sailboat in Afghanistan. Lol.

No, Afghanistan might be much better.
Old 17-12-2012, 12:01   #73

So things haven't changed much. 24th & Lake was always the knife and gun club. I think I like the odds in Afghanistan better as well.