Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2012, 10:04   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: How Serious the CG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Have transom mounted rudder. Hailing port name has 9 letters. At 4in that is 36 inches only 24in available per side. Guess I need a bigger boat or have to change my hailing port to something like Rio.
Hailing port can be anything you want. It does not even need to be near water.

Perhaps you could wrap the letters around the rudder stock and back onto the transom.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 13:56   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Hailing port can be anything you want. It does not even need to be near water.................
This is true, but I find it disappointing. I met a guy in Virginia that had Key Largo as his documentation port. Since I've spent a lot of time there and have many boating friends there, I asked him where he kept his boat. He said that he'd never been to Key Largo, but liked the looks of it on his transom. 'sort of a vanity plate......'wasn't there, but I got the T-shirt! It just didn't seem honorable to me, but I'm maybe a bit too "old school". I'm also a little amused to see places like Billings, Montana or Las Vegas on Transoms, but I accept it better with that being the captain/crews origin.
Old 15-12-2012, 14:02   #48

Boat: Cape Dory

One of the reasons I asked for the actual regulation regarding the CG requirements, is that I have heard conflicting information as to whether a hailing port is in fact required for recreational vessels. The info in the "vessel documentation" section really wasn't authoritative (lots of actual and implied qualifications - and certainly there for a different purpose). If anyone has additional source info, I'd love to see it!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 14:04   #49

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The info in the "vessel documentation" section really wasn't authoritative (lots of actual and implied qualifications - and certainly there for a different purpose).
That link I gave is to the official US Coast Guard documentation website. What more do you want?
Old 15-12-2012, 14:08   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
This is true, but I find it disappointing. I met a guy in Virginia that had Key Largo as his documentation port. Since I've spent a lot of time there and have many boating friends there, I asked him where he kept his boat. He said that he'd never been to Key Largo, but liked the looks of it on his transom. 'sort of a vanity plate......'wasn't there, but I got the T-shirt! It just didn't seem honorable to me, but I'm maybe a bit too "old school". I'm also a little amused to see places like Billings, Montana or Las Vegas on Transoms, but I accept it better with that being the captain/crews origin.

I like STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, CO. I sail there as often as possible.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 14:31   #51
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We put a single layer of fiberglass over the stickers. You can see right through it, and it becomes difficult for a thief to cover it with paint, because the fiberglass will still show up.
Exactly. Put up a decorative plaque if you like, but another like this in a locker.
Old 15-12-2012, 14:38   #52
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Actually, you're supposed to include the state abbrev, so your hailing port has 12 letters: "Cambridge MD". Even if you started on one side of the rudder and continued on the other, you would only barely have enough room.

On a smaller boat, the 4" requirement is just not practical. I suggest moving to Rio.
4-inch letters aren't 4 inches wide. Cambridge will fit in 24 inches with a narrow type face.

Or get a catamaran; I write book back there. Well, a children's book. A Gunboat has room for a book.
Old 15-12-2012, 14:58   #53

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Not mentioned here is that the USCG requires the combination of vessel name and hailing port to be unique. For instance, there cannot be another Carina documented with a Portland, OR hailing port. I know there are other Carinas in Portland - they just can't be documented with the same hailing port. Of course they can be documented with a Beaverton, or Hillsboro, or Gresham hailing port (all suburbs of Portland).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 15:15   #54

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Have transom mounted rudder. Hailing port name has 9 letters. At 4in that is 36 inches only 24in available per side. Guess I need a bigger boat or have to change my hailing port to something like Rio.
Boat's name and home "port" doesn't have to be on the stern. They can be placed on the hull sides.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 15:18   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Not mentioned here is that the USCG requires the combination of vessel name and hailing port to be unique. For instance, there cannot be another Carina documented with a Portland, OR hailing port. I know there are other Carinas in Portland - they just can't be documented with the same hailing port. Of course they can be documented with a Beaverton, or Hillsboro, or Gresham hailing port (all suburbs of Portland).

Greg
Duplicates are allowed. Just look at the list of documented boats on NOAA's boat documentation site.
Old 15-12-2012, 15:21   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
There is no requirement to get CG documentation for pleasure boats. About the smallest size that can qualify is a 26 footer, but it is based on a variety of measurements that results in a minimum tonnage of five net tons--has very little to do with weight, despite the wording. Most states however require you to register any boat with a motor, and some states require you to register just about anything including canoes and kayaks. Varies state by state on that. In other words, if it is a big enough boat to cruise on chances are very good you must have either state registration or CG documentation, or both.
No, it's not a matter of the boat's weight (displacement of water) but rather the boat's volume.
Old 15-12-2012, 15:53   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
That link I gave is to the official US Coast Guard documentation website. What more do you want?
I wasn't being critical of you. I appreciate what you posted.

That said, what you posted was not the regulation setting out a requirement that a vessel display a home port on the exterior of the hull. What you posted was a link to information related to vessel documentation. After the article on that subject had transitioned to a discussion of commercial vessels, there was a mention of home ports.

What more do I want? As I said, I have heard differing information about whether recreational vessels are required to display home port info on the hull. If so, there will be a regulation somewhere saying as much . . .. That, in your parlance, is what "I want".
Old 15-12-2012, 16:06   #58

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If you want to document your pleasure boat with the CG you are required to put the name and the hailing port on the boat. I'm not going to search for the actual text of the law, but that is the law. If you state register it you are not required to do so--but you do need to put the numbers on the bow.

Quote:
No, it's not a matter of the boat's weight (displacement of water) but rather the boat's volume.
Tonnage is roughly a measure of volume based on a certain formula and set of measurements. Here's a link to the CG form and how to do it.
Old 15-12-2012, 16:36   #59

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 46, 67.121 & 67.123

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 16:43   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 46, 67.121 & 67.123

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
So, unless there is another regulation related to non documented vessels, the home port requirement appears to be limited to documented vessels (which is not illogical). Interesting.
Thanks
-M