Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: How old is your boat
1-10 years 15 7.11%
10-20 years 17 8.06%
20-30 years 40 18.96%
30-40 years 91 43.13%
40+ years 48 22.75%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 09:45   #121
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

On one of those BWB threads, I made a comment that people think that the pinnacle of design was the design that was current when people grew up, teens to mid 20's or so... In my case I have a fondness to IOR designs, early Porsche 911 Turbos (75 onward) and so on.... (born 65)

I just found a poll from last year bout peoples ages and guess what, 50-60 year old's dominate and here 30-40 year old boats dominate, a 20 year age difference.

Coincidence or not?

POLL: So what is the age here? MERGED
__________________

__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 09:54   #122
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Posts: 135
Send a message via MSN to serah
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Interesting hoppy. Works for me then - I'm in my early 30s, we have an older 1970s boat that I bought as it was affordable in my late-twenties. We just had our offer accepted on a new 1999 boat, which puts her right in there.. The year we graduated high school to be precise!

(As an aside, I think a preference for looks on men/women from high school is quite ingrained as well. I'd never thought it applied to boats/cars too/)

Sent from my XT1034 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 09:58   #123
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Go to any old people's home and you'll hear "when I was young......" and then they will go on to explain how everything was better back then.

None of us are safe from being the "when I was young......" old folk
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 10:07   #124
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Go to any old people's home and you'll hear "when I was young......" and then they will go on to explain how everything was better back then.

None of us are safe from being the "when I was young......" old folk
Maybe, but I'm in my late 30's and my boat is in the 30-40 range. I have a few good buddies that I boat with all in their late 30's. Of 4 guys the boats range in age from 1974-1988 (mine near the middle at 1979).

30-45 year old boats are plentiful and affordable. I know when I'm cruising the boat takes a beating, landing at strange poorly designed docks, some times bare concrete with bits of rebar, I've definitely touched bottom more than once, kids throwing up, dogs having accidents- you name it, the boat takes a beating.

A new boat treated like this would become an old boat pretty fast. This helped me decide whether to buy an old very heavily built boat or finance a new, higher performance but less heavily built boat.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 10:17   #125
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Maybe, but I'm in my late 30's and my boat is in the 30-40 range. I have a few good buddies that I boat with all in their late 30's. Of 4 guys the boats range in age from 1974-1988 (mine near the middle at 1979).

30-45 year old boats are plentiful and affordable. I know when I'm cruising the boat takes a beating, landing at strange poorly designed docks, some times bare concrete with bits of rebar, I've definitely touched bottom more than once, kids throwing up, dogs having accidents- you name it, the boat takes a beating.

A new boat treated like this would become an old boat pretty fast. This helped me decide whether to buy an old very heavily built boat or finance a new, higher performance but less heavily built boat.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'm 50 and my boat is 13, and when I owned a Porsche it was from 2002, so my purchases don't correspond to my theory either, but statistics suggest that on average I might be right...
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 10:36   #126
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,030
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I'm 50 and my boat is 13, and when I owned a Porsche it was from 2002, so my purchases don't correspond to my theory either, but statistics suggest that on average I might be right...
While the correlation between ages is interesting, it's only that: correlation. Does not make it causation.

My bet is that you'd find a stronger causal link between economics and boat age. I bet those with higher wealth will tend to have newer (and larger) boats. Those with more modest means will gravitate to less expensive boats. Since the majority of cruisers are middle to upper-middle class retired folks with fixed incomes (pensions or investments), maximizing value for money is important.

Older boats tend to be cheaper -- it's a simple as that.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 11:58   #127
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
While the correlation between ages is interesting, it's only that: correlation. Does not make it causation.

My bet is that you'd find a stronger causal link between economics and boat age. I bet those with higher wealth will tend to have newer (and larger) boats. Those with more modest means will gravitate to less expensive boats. Since the majority of cruisers are middle to upper-middle class retired folks with fixed incomes (pensions or investments), maximizing value for money is important.

Older boats tend to be cheaper -- it's a simple as that.
... If I had all the money I doubt I'd buy a new plastic fantastic or mega yacht... I prefer a classic wooden boat or an early lust for me was an S&S 42... but that could just be the aesthetic or nostalgic factor.

I've had a hard time caring about the America's Cup races ever since they went away from the 12 meter rule.
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 12:39   #128
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

It would interesting to know that among the older boat owners whether they got it a long ago when is was fairly new, or if it is owner by a younger person who mainly got it due to price.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 12:58   #129
Registered User
 
Prairie Chicken's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada or Spain
Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Posts: 1,114
Images: 1
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Interesting thread. I must say I'm surprised at the results. I'd have thought most would have been in the 10-20 year old category.

We kept our 1986 Bene First 375 for 21 years and only moved to a newer boat (2002) when we went larger. Even then, the 2002 was about as new as we wanted to go. We like the older boats, and you couldn't give us a new production boat due to the lack of quality we see on them.
__________________
Prairie Chicken
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`· ...¸><((((º>
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 16:59   #130
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It would interesting to know that among the older boat owners whether they got it a long ago when is was fairly new, or if it is owner by a younger person who mainly got it due to price.

For my current boat, I was a 55 yr old person (now 60) that bought a 35yr old boat (now 40) although I could afford a newer and more expensive one.



JimK
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 17:23   #131
Registered User
 
Amapola's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Posts: 809
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Our trawler is 36 years old which qualifies for antique status in Florida which gives you a huge break on registration...Only $9.25.
__________________
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
—Jacques Yves Costeau
Amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 17:34   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,854
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

My boat is 26 years old. I've had it for 15 years. It was newer 15 years ago.


S/V B'Shert
__________________
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 18:24   #133
Registered User
 
Neeltje's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Augustine, Florida
Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'
Posts: 297
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It would interesting to know that among the older boat owners whether they got it a long ago when is was fairly new, or if it is owner by a younger person who mainly got it due to price.
I'm a younger person (65) who bought his boat when it was 113-years old, but I still didn't get much of a deal on it.

Jacques
__________________
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 18:29   #134
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: holland michigan
Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Posts: 456
Images: 3
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
While the correlation between ages is interesting, it's only that: correlation. Does not make it causation.

My bet is that you'd find a stronger causal link between economics and boat age. I bet those with higher wealth will tend to have newer (and larger) boats. Those with more modest means will gravitate to less expensive boats. Since the majority of cruisers are middle to upper-middle class retired folks with fixed incomes (pensions or investments), maximizing value for money is important.

Older boats tend to be cheaper -- it's a simple as that.
Yes older boats at the bottom of the depreciation scale more bang for your buck. We also like the older boat looks and ride. If I came into a pile of cash would still buy older. If the pile was HUGE I would get Bob P. to design one for us.
__________________
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 19:20   #135
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,030
Re: How Old's Your Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Yes older boats at the bottom of the depreciation scale more bang for your buck. We also like the older boat looks and ride. If I came into a pile of cash would still buy older. If the pile was HUGE I would get Bob P. to design one for us.


...but we might be odd balls .
__________________

__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How was your boat ride today? knottybuoyz Off Topic Forum 6 01-09-2008 10:41
Author looking to hitch a ride. Mikethe author Crew Archives 10 08-05-2008 14:24
Trade: Juggling Lessons for Sailboat Ride =:) Jay Jennings Classifieds Archive 3 05-12-2007 03:53
Okay, lets go for a ride sundog Multihull Sailboats 0 13-09-2007 08:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.