Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 03:42   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: How Old to Sail Single Handed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull111 View Post
Remember also that cruising isn't everyone's cup of tea, so if it isn't fun, feel no shame in returning to familiar waters.
That one does not get mentioned enough - to folks of all ages. And also that simply messing around on boats is not fun enough (for the time and cash) for everyone - and no shame in that. Just a shame if you spent a couple of hundred k and 10 years of life and dreams before discovering any of that .

In regard to older sailors - a big difference between getting to your dotage after 20+ years of sailing vs starting out..... And that mostly about how fun the activity is, the latter will be a lot more effort and work and those tend to detract from the fun for any activity! In any event for many the fun will dissapear before the physical capabilities do - when something is no longer enjoyable enough for the effort it is sensible to do summit else .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:41   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Singled handed my C&C 36 many times to and from Fl to The Bahamas. Easy boat to handle. Going up 3ft no big deal. Yep I am OLD . Make sure the new boat has advantages worth the move.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:03   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it is not the AGE but the ATTITUDE that causes folks to not solo..... or not cross a road, or not go somewhere, or not slip the docklines.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Old to Sail Single Handed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
it is not the AGE but the ATTITUDE that causes folks to not solo..... or not cross a road, or not go somewhere, or not slip the docklines.
+A1...
A lot of ladies don't seem able to visit a loo alone...
A lot of sailors are the same with the sea...
Ok.. I'm being sexist.. maybe..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43   #50

not sexist.... realist
Old 06-02-2014, 13:38   #51

As a previous poster said: "In any event for many the fun will dissapear(sic) before the physical capabilities do "

Absolutely true.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 14:26   #52

for many sailing is not fun but spiritual, and that never ceases. those sail until they die..sailing.
Old 06-02-2014, 14:41   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Harry, I was delivering a boat from Cape Town to Tahiti a few years ago and, when through the canal, was in radio contact with a small boat (I think it was 28 foot) being singlehanded by a gentleman aged 71, who was completing his circumnavigation to LA. I was relaying weather for him and we chatted on many days on the HF radio - he was north of the equator and I was south. I learnt that not only had he had a heart transplant before departing on his voyage, he had also had a kidney transplant. Get the 30 footer and enjoy life! I just found a link to his story - http://www.rsnhope.org/programs/kidn...und-the-world/

There are most likely more if you do a Google search. John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 15:28   #54

Boat: Westsail 32

70 year old made his second attempt to round Cape Horn alone last year.
Old 06-02-2014, 15:43   #55

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I bought my catboat from a 91-year-old guy in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida, last year. He was still singlehandedly sailing it regularly, albeit locally. His four "children" (in their late 60s and 70s) insisted he sell it. I felt kinda bad, as it meant a lot to him.

In his 70s and 80s, he singlehanded his previous boat (a 38-footer IIRC) from New England to Florida offshore every year for 12 straight years.

When I last saw him, he was talking about buying an electric kayak to putter around the mangroves!
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 13:47   #56

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
This is a timely conversation. My wife just passed away, unexpectedly, in her sleep on January 2. She had mobility issues, but could be on the bow to pass a line over or to pick up a mooring pendant, and I would then go forward to take it. Close quarters was exciting, because I was basically single handing, but just another set of eyes were helpful. I am weighing my options about keeping or not keeping the boat, and for now, my decision is to do nothing different. I have in boom furling, which makes it very easy to raise, reef or drop the main. I have total confidence in the system. For the OP, there is not a big difference between 27 and 30 feet,and that difference will diminish after a few sails. I have sailed most of my life, cruised for 10 years, but still have concerns about single handing a 41 foot boat coastal cruising. Probably will just have to pay more attention to wind, current and obstacles while manuvering in close quarters, and make sure I make spring lines my friend.
Sorry to read about your wife. Condolences.

kind regards,
Old 07-02-2014, 13:50   #57

Re: how old to sail single handed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Sailed solo to Hawaii on my 35' boat at 66. Still sailing it here in Hawaii. Planning on a solo sail to Alaska in '14 for my 70th birthday.
I think Peter O is way too old to sail solo to Alaska. He should invite me (69 yo next month) to keep lookout!
Old 07-02-2014, 13:58   #58

To be honest I've noticed I've slowed down a lot and can't respond quickly to any physical situation. Still quick enough but not like 10 years ago. My balance is diminishing and that's why I'm wearing an inflatable boot on my foot. I've fallen off a ladder at least 3 times this last year and I require a little extra time getting ready for a watch. However, I still can recognize lights at night and do navigation required from port to port and steer a straight course and troubleshoot a cranky diesel. I am more cautious now and a safer sailor. I don't know how many more years I have left to sail before I call it quits but I feel it'll be my attitude that will eliminate me from the sailing pool before age.
Good luck to all you old salts.
kind regards,
Old 08-02-2014, 13:41   #59

i am over 60 female.
disabled.
i sail ketch as it is easier than sloops i have sailed from childhood. not small ones. usually crewed shorthanded.
aint quittin.....just need some repairs so i can go to a different part of pair a dice...
Old 09-02-2014, 15:18   #60

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Sailing solo and living aboard on a 45 footer for the past ten years, I am now 75 and really do not feel like abandoning this lifestyle.

Hey if you can sail a 27 you can sail a 37 or a 47. It's when they get over 60 and you over 70 that the combination requires a bit of thought.

Single handing is not so easy and requires a bit of planning, but it is possible. I do not fly the spinnaker any more.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, single