Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2011, 09:55   #76
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: How Old Is 'Too Old' to Sail ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I'm thinking Slocum was a freighter Captain.

"My voyages were all foreign. I sailed as a feighter and trader principally to China, Japan and Australia and the spice islands."

Point taken though, he was "experienced" during the Spray journey.
Thanks for the correction, but the point is the same.
When I am too old handle my boat competently by myself I will still continue to sail as long as I can find someone else to do the sailing...wait a minute...come to think of it, all the young healthy boaters out there that can't handle a boat competently....so what exactly is too old...to old to do something by yourself, that it is actually better not to any way. As things stand now I am good enough physical and mental health to handle my boat alone, but prefer to take someone with anyway.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:24   #77

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Semper I don't know the answer to this but I can suggest you look into travel insurance. Something that will get you medi-vaced back to the US. I've read stories about heart attacks and big bills to just get home. ($30k). Something else to factor in IMHO.

SC
I bought trip insurance my last overseas trip. it covered medivac to US. It wasn't very much.

Old 20-07-2016, 08:06   #78

Hello-
First time poster.

My friends tell me at 73 I am too old to sail.

I dont thank so, I am in good health I still climb my own windmill tower to fix it and oil it, cut my own fire wood there is not much I cant do, just a little slower, Just put new tin roof on my house.
My friends are retired sleep late , Not me I am up at 7AM. Go feed my 18 cows and one horse. I am in bed by 12 PM most night some times later.
My wife is 63 and good health.
Ok I dont think I am too old to have a 40 ft sail boat. When I was younger I did some sailing.

My plans are to sail from Texas to Panama City Panama for the winter every year.
All I need is to get me a sailboat, I am on Social Security and my wife is working. I had a good retirement, but the company I worked for went in bankruptcy lost most every thing, But life must go on, cant cry over spilt milk.

I will get my dream boat, Not going to give up.

So what do you all think??

PS there is some thing I cant do very well, My Spelling and Grammar is very bad.

Marlin
marlin6614@gmail.com
Old 20-07-2016, 08:32   #79

Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s

Marlin... if you are in good health and have strength and your senses and balance are OK you should be fine. Too old is a relative thing. It's not age as much as health and fitness as well as seamanship and sailing skills / experience. I think you do need to work your way up to more challenging sails... different distances and weather conditions... that is to say... you should build some experience before you undertake a long passage.
Old 20-07-2016, 12:12   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

my uncle sailed without an engine until he was 95 then fell over into his scrambled eggs. alone he sailed. he died in company of his wife. and his scrambled eggies.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 13:57   #81

Boat: TBD
Re: How old is "TOO OLD" to sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I moved aboard yesterday, I turn 64 in June. My knee has been replaced, my back is crap, my hips are shot. But I will do it till I can't. Then I'll sit at the dock.
His friends all call him Lucky!
Old 20-07-2016, 15:05   #82

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

My grand parents both died in their early 60s due to.disease. But I.don't think thats quite right. I think.they died of boredom and lack of dreams. They did little, watch tv, putter around the house, drink....
My aunt Ester though, she still volunteered at the nursing home until she was 90. She was not bored.
I think the secret to long life is to keep your brain and body active. Keep dreaming, keep doing
Sailing should help with all of that I think.
Old 20-07-2016, 16:05   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Well, at 78 I am too old to sail... but I keep on doing it anyway. Don't let some arbitrary number stop you from at least attempting whatever turns you on.

Jim
Old 20-07-2016, 17:00   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
Hello-
First time poster.

My friends tell me at 73 I am too old to sail.
My friends are retired sleep late , Not me I am up at 7AM. Go feed my 18 cows and one horse. I am in bed by 12 PM most night some times later.
My wife is 63 and good health.

Marlin
marlin6614@gmail.com
Marlin you are going to need a good sized dingy for the cows. And cows don't like surf landings...
Old 20-07-2016, 19:29   #85

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Marlin, I'm 69 and my wife is 69 and we sail a 36 foot Hunter and at 73 I certainly plan on continuing. I have a heart condition that makes me an 8 cylinder engine running on 4, yet my boat is set up to overcome my health issues. I know several sailors in their 80's that are still sailing. A 40 foot boat can be set up to sail easily, but you should look into how to make it easy and buy a boat that will work for you. Get an autopilot, in-mast furling, roller furling jib, an electric windlass for your anchor and then consider comforts like a generator and HVAC so you don't get too hot or too cold and strain yourself. A full enclosure will keep you dry while crossing the Gulf to Panama. If you have enough fuel, you can do as we do and run the generator and HVAC while sailing to keep your boat interior at a constant temperature and humidity level. We even have Dish network running a KVH tracking satellite antenna.

Learn to sail and don't start by making a large crossing. Get a good weather background and subscribe to SailFlow and begin to follow the weather and sea state. Cruising in big waves with short periods is not only very tiring, it is just not fun, so learn to predict conditions that are fun to sail in and that won't wear you down.

Enjoy your new endeavor, but increase your range as you get better at what you are doing.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-07-2016, 20:08   #86

Re: How old is "TOO OLD" to sail?

A few months ago fishermen found a 30 ft sailboat with a man sitting at the table with his head propped up with his hand. He looked like he had a good tan, but he was mummified by the salty sea air after floating around in the ocean currents for 7 years.

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: