Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 15:38   #16

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: How old is "TOO OLD" to sail?

We're in our 60's and enjoy 6 months a year on our boat. We did move from sailing to a trawler which is easier on our joints. If you're healthy and have the will, do it.
Old 06-12-2011, 15:39   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

There's no set age. It all depends on ones health and ability.

I know people who are 60 who remind me of people who are 80-90. And I know people who are 75 who remind me of people who are 50 or even younger.

If you are physically fit and capable, do it! Just take some sailing lessons so you know what you are doing.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:41   #18

You could join up with the caribbean 1500 in the fall and have good company to go south. That might add some reassurance to the passage. Maybe go with someone else on a similar trip to see what you think about doing it alone. Probably not what you're thinking but you could buy a charter boat there and use it as owner rules permit with a lot less risk. Whatever, enjoy your sailing! (68 but not going across the Atlantic, but still hanging out in South Florida.)
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:48   #19

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I am 64. Started sailing at age 6. At 42 we went cruising for 1 year. 10 years later, we sailed the boat back to the US. We had used up our savings, and started land life all over again. After a bunch of life events, we have decided to head out again, this summer. Probably not as adventurous as the last time, but definetly SMARTER. Much less gotta haves, doing more using my head rather than my back, and like another poster inferred, won't be closing the Rum Shacks anymore. If you have the desire, the will, the money (you can do it on a reasonable budget), and the health, just do it. You can only gain experience by doing. When in doubt, ask for advise, discard all the BS, and go with it.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:01   #20

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

1 February 2011
The An-Tiki crew, including Anthony, far right. Credit: Robin Batchelor On Sunday 30 January, 84-year-old adventurer Anthony Smith set sail across the Atlantic Ocean on the An-Tiki – a raft made from water pipes. He aims to raise £50,000 for WaterAid.
Mr Smith and his three-man crew of 'mature and intrepid gentlemen', aged from 56 to 84 years old, will use only the ocean currents and a sail to make the 2,800 mile voyage from the Canary Islands to the Bahamas.

Er i dont know how old
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:07   #21

Boat: Ohlson 38

Who gets dementia?
Dementia is considered a late-life disease because it tends to develop mostly in elderly people. About 5 percent to 8 percent of all people over the age of 65 have some form of dementia, and this number doubles every five years above that age. It is estimated that as many as half of people 85 or older suffer from dementia.

Types of Dementia
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:29   #22

Boat: contessa 32

Best advice here is to go on a charter this winter where you can get some real hands on feeling for some of what s involved.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:32   #23

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Who gets dementia?
Dementia is considered a late-life disease because it tends to develop mostly in elderly people. About 5 percent to 8 percent of all people over the age of 65 have some form of dementia, and this number doubles every five years above that age. It is estimated that as many as half of people 85 or older suffer from dementia.

Types of Dementia
Then it must affect most sailors very much earlier tha 65, specially the reasoning aspect.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:33   #24

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Then it must affect most sailors very much earlier tha 65, specially the reasoning aspect.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 16:54   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Depends on the person.

But as a broad guide I would say that if you can at least get close to being able to touch your toes, have enough energy to walk up a flight of stairs - and can remember own name more often than not........all without coughing lungs up or falling over, then probably fit enough for some form of sailing. But that probably won't involve voyages around Cape Horn etc etc.

The time to give up is when the fun is outweighed by the effort / aggro required.

FWIW me Father is approaching 80 and considering giving up his 33 foot motorboat........for another sailing boat

The motor boat is equipped for extended cruising (and has been from Paris down to Bay of Biscay, over many years) Not used so much anymore (me late Brother was crew on the trips, not so much for the extra hands (although useful) but to share the craic )......what holds him off making the decision to sell is that she is a minter and if he regrets the decision he simply won't find another in that condition (and lacks the inclination to bring yet another boat up to spec).

He is just thinking of a simple bay cruiser (and maybe the odd trip to France, with crew - moi) - and that would still be useable when he gets old Something staid like a 26' Westerly Centaur, with decent sidedecks and hand holds. And room below for a Kettle, a Khasi and a Kip plus a lap of the bay now and again.......and a bit of fiddling around onboard

Sailing is what you make it.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:01   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

I thought 60 was the new 40.
Old 06-12-2011, 17:56   #27

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Local boy makes good and then goes sailing...
Had the good fortune to be invited to celebrate the 75th year
anniversary of Olin Stephens very first design a few years back (MBOD fleet still active)
Mr. Stephens was invited and was expected to attend the evenings festivities.
We were very disappointed when we found out that in fact
he would not be attending...at 99 years of age we thought
he might had taken ill. But shortly the real reason was brought
to light..."Olin could not attend tonight as he is sailing off the
Italian coast".
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:56   #28

Boat: Seafarer 26
I am told there a ways of making things easier on yourself. I took out a woman that is legally blind to let her figure out if she could sail. She had a great time and really had no problems what so ever. I just turned 60 and plan to be doing this for some time to come. Keep moving if you want to live.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 18:24   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Here ya go,Im 73 the wife is 60, we just sold our 37 ft Fisher, we sailed it together for 16yrs, prior to that we rasied 4 kids on a 60 fter we did that till they were thru school. We have now changed to a 43 ft Defever LRC, we did it not brcause we could no longer sail but the pain for the wife (and sometimes me to lol) was to much when working both the wheel for any long time and working sail. so we will keep cruising till I don't know when!! as these fine folks have said ya gotta try it to tell if ya like it !! Have fun Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 19:00   #30

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I know a lot of active live-aboard cruisers in their 70s
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail