Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 09:59   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman
Re: How old is too old

It all depends on how well the boat was built... I would rather take my 43 year old home built boat on a world cruise (again) than some of these hastily thrown together production boats that are for sale now... That is not to say that there are not some FINE strong boats out there on the market, but you get my point... Oh, and my boat has been in the tropics for 40 of those years

I built the boat and know what I built her from, know every nook and cranny, every nut and bolt and have maintained her very carefully since her early days,
I am sure there are some lovely strong cruisable boats out in the Caribbean, but you need to know how to look and asses a boat, and I would advise that if you find one you have a good feeling about, that you have her assessed...But you knew all this Good luck and carefree sailing ..

sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:20   #47

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

We've been cruising happily in a 1965 Pearson Countess for several years. As far as I can tell she just gets better with age (which may be because we are dedicated to maintenance and at least moderately aggressive with upgrades). We know people who have bought new or nearly new boats and put more money and energy into repairs (not upgrades and not including purchase price) than we have tied up in total costs (repairs, upgrades, purchase, and insurance). I do not necessarily recommend looking for a boat as old as ours, but if you find one that someone has really taken care of or restored, and the price is right, do a close survey but do not be discouraged by the age of the boat. (And for what it is worth, we have occasionally encountered people cruising in boats far older than ours--at least one that was built in 1904, from riveted steel plates.)

Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 16:01   #48

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR

I agree with all of the comments on here. Our 30ft is a 1979. So basically 40 years old now. Had it for about 7 years. Slowly refitting and repairing. The more you do to it the better i feel more confident with her. As times goes here we’re venturing out and beyond. I have no regrets to buying her. Price was right. I knew it needed work. Been fixing but fixing right. Almost a new boat again. Didn’t spend no $140,000 either. If your looking for a cheap sailing trip why not go for a year or two old boat that someone thought was a good idea but has second thoughts now. Will sell just to get away from it. I’ve seen them but missed the buy even though we already have one.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 16:11   #49

Yes I agree that age is not an important criteria.

However difficult or unlikely it can be done within the OP's parameters,

his request was wrt only using the boat for six months, and hoping the total time of ownership would not be much longer.

So these tales of long-term maintenance / upgrades just illustrate the kind of owner he should be looking to buy from, which **is** the most important factor in that use case.
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 16:20   #50

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Nashville TN
Boat: Cal 39

You have plans to cruise without any significant sailing experience? You may not like sailing. Your wife hasn't experienced living for long periods living 24/7 with you (you haven't even retired yet). Do you even know how to sail? My suggestion, and the money will be well spent, and cheaper than what you'd lose in a similar period buying and then selling your own boat, is to take a sailing vacation of a month or more - after you learn to sail - on a "bareboat" charter. That MAY teach yu enough to be able to evaluate your wishes.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 18:13   #51

Maybe something like this could work for you?
Finnrose 37 - 1971 -
NevilleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 20:38   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcharm View Post
I was one of those that thought you were asking how old is too old as in human years! At 61, I'm questioning distance cruising myself.
I'm 61 in a week. Everyone's different. I'm thinking I may have to slow down in 20 years or so. So I guess I'm thinking about it as well. ;-)
Seriously, you will know when you need to stop. I've seen a lot of people suddenly realize they were done with x, make a right turn and do something entirely different.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 02:39   #53

Boat: Farr 40

Akprb advise makes a lot of good sense at any time.
But the timeline the OP talks about has other aspects:
- start cruising in 5 years...: you can start looking now and wait for the right bargain. Boat shopping is fun... . Really good bargains take time to find and frequently even more to close due to seller’s issues... but say you are really lucky to find a boat 3 years before you plan to start cruising?...

- Sail for 6 months only: The time investment in searching , refitting, paperwork etc. may not be justified vs. the actual cruising time. And then consider 6-12 months to sell...

- The boat’s age matters much less than the actual maintenance, condition and upgrades made prior to your purchase. However, the boat’s design and amenities do matter for a family cruise - especially if you plan on a 40’ boat. Some old designs may not work well - in spite of the quality of build etc.

So the bottom line here is that a very good bargain on a well maintained and fitted (most probably older) boat could somehow justify the amount of time, work and expenses/devaluation for 6 months cruise.
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 05:55   #54

Boat: Peason 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS1 View Post
Hi all,

In about 5 years I am planning to buy a sailboat and cruise the Caribbean with my wife and 2 kids for about 6 months.
I considered the idea of buying a boat in Croatia that seems like the cheapest place in the med, and sail it across the Atlantic, but it seems like too much hassle for the 6 month trip.
Now to keep it simple, I am thinking of buying directly in the Caribbean. My question is, how old a boat could I buy if I want to minimize the resale time after the six months (newer boats resale faster), and minimize repairs or maintenance during that time?
20 year boats, so around 2000, would be in my budget (80k), and size (about 40’), but I am a bit concerned about a boat that has been baking there for that long, and probably used more than a boat from the Chesapeake bay for instance...
10 y/o probably fine. 20 not sure. 30 most probably will need work, and I want to have a problem free trip. I know there are a ton of people sailing and even circumnavigating in 40 years old boat, but the requires a big deal of work and maintenance...

Thoughts?
Thanks
I have a '95 Jeanneau 371 in excellent condition, well maintained already in the Carribean. Very clean and dry boat (see post in for sale forum). I have been working on another fellows boat that is 12 years newer and in way worse condition, engine was dirty, wiring haphazard, cabinets falling apart, electronics not functional and neither were the instruments. Fuel tank was leaking, transmission wouldn't engage without lag time of 30 to 45 seconds. I fixed most of the mechanicals but stopped after spending a couple of hours on the electrical as the owner thought that I should have been able to solve all those problems in a couple of hours and then didn't pay for the time I had spent beginning to trouble shoot the wiring and instruments. The difference is in upkeep and attention to detail more so than age. That boat has close to 3800 hours on the engine, mine has around a thousand. I change the oil and filters each season, he didn't and yet he's trying to sell his for more than I have mine listed (they are each about the same configuration). You can tell these things when you take a close look at the boat, its engine compartment, function of all equipment.
piloto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 07:23   #55

Boat: Farr 40

Kudos! This is the kind owner to look for!

And the situation described where sellers match (or exceed) their asking price to others posted online , regardless the actual condition after years of poor maintenance etc. is targeted at some suckers to buy, mainly considering the boat’s age. Also not new - the sellers market is full with totally unrealistic owners (and buyers too... )

As for buying in the Caribbeans - I wouldn’t rule this out, if the boat was very well maintained and cared. Yes, the conditions there are by far worse to any boat than the Northeast where boats are lightly used (if at all...) May to October and hauled out every winter. - but at most cases will be more expensive.

It is also way more difficult to maintain a boat in the Caribbeans - lack of spare parts and materials and high costs of those available, professional services etc. push many owners to minimize maintenance or improvise solutions - you don’t want that... so again, search for the best owner first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
I have a '95 Jeanneau 371 in excellent condition, well maintained already in the Carribean. Very clean and dry boat (see post in for sale forum). I have been working on another fellows boat that is 12 years newer and in way worse condition, engine was dirty, wiring haphazard, cabinets falling apart, electronics not functional and neither were the instruments. Fuel tank was leaking, transmission wouldn't engage without lag time of 30 to 45 seconds. I fixed most of the mechanicals but stopped after spending a couple of hours on the electrical as the owner thought that I should have been able to solve all those problems in a couple of hours and then didn't pay for the time I had spent beginning to trouble shoot the wiring and instruments. The difference is in upkeep and attention to detail more so than age. That boat has close to 3800 hours on the engine, mine has around a thousand. I change the oil and filters each season, he didn't and yet he's trying to sell his for more than I have mine listed (they are each about the same configuration). You can tell these things when you take a close look at the boat, its engine compartment, function of all equipment.
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 09:49   #56

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Nashville TN
Boat: Cal 39

Thinking of slowing down at 61? I was still sailing until I was 80 - and then I quit because I was no longer flexible enough to maintain her properly. L was still able to sail her. I was still cruising in Mexico at 71 (sailed to California for hurricane season each year). Now I "land cruise" with a pickup and 30 foot trailer. Rather than slow down I speeded up - from an at sea speed of below 4.5 knots to an open road speed of 45 mph.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 03:45   #57

Buy a Pearson 424. For $60K you'll get everything you need and they resell just fine.

marcus02 is offline   Reply With Quote