Boat: Hunter 33
Re: How old is too old?

Best of luck. You can do it.

If life gives you limes make margaritas -- Jimmy Buffett
La Porte Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11   #32

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

If you are like many of us that are married and plan on staying happily married its really up to your wife. NOT YOU. Most start out with boat in the 20 ft range to et out on the water and progress up. At the age of 47 my wife found the Eagle and decided to be a live a board despite having health physical concerns. The boat she wanted was more than twice the size we owned before.

My wife never was on a boat before she met me, and now can not get her off it. So get your wife involved and start out small and go from there. We still use the run about most ssummer days. You might find a smaller boat is all you will need.

rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37   #33

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I just bought my 19' catboat back in April of last year from an amazing 91-year-old fellow in Florida last year. He'd been sailing the catboat singlehanded ever since he sold his big boat (a 38-footer IIRC) eight years or so back. Prior to that, he'd singlehanded the big boat from New England to Florida -- mostly offshore -- every year for a dozen years, doing the snowbird thing.

I'm 66, and Howard is far more agile than I am. When we loaded the catboat on the trailer for me to tow it home, I turned my back on him for a second, and he instantly climbed the five and a half feet or so from the asphalt into the cockpit with the heavy towing cover in hand and had started putting it on. He moves like a monkey!

His "kids" (in their 70s) had encouraged him to sell the catboat, but when I left he was planning to buy an electrically propelled kayak for exploring the mangroves. I'm sure most folks can't even envision a 91-year-old getting into or out of a kayak!

Fit old guys like that are my heroes. We might not all be able to keep our bodies functioning well (or at all) to that age, but sailing helps.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 17:07   #34

Go for it, lots of people have sailed away in retirement. My wife and I plan to retire to a live-aboard cruising lifestyle. In the meantime we find opportunities to sail for fun and experience, including using a sailboat as members of a sailboat club, ASA sailing courses, crew in races, bareboat charter and any other opportunities that come along.

Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
So, here is the real question. Given that sailing is a somewhat physically more rigorous pursuit than simply motor cruising, have you met people that have done what I am considering doing and been able to become decent sailors in time to be able to enjoy some years on the high seas before the inevitable sets in? Financially, I think I could get this done, but physically, I'm not sure I'll have enough left to do it. I am talking about a live-aboard cruising lifestyle on a sailing vessel just starting out at age 65.

Tell me if this is a crazy idea.

MikeHanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: