Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2013, 03:46   #16

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Re: How old is too old?

Could you retire now with any pension at all? What will 10 years bring? I was young, 30 years old when I was diagnosed with cancer. I fought and when I came out on the other side I decided to live my life, not work for an unknown future. I am 37 and living on the boat with my wife and 2 kids. I work 3 days a week now (about 20 hours) as does my wife, and we not only have money to burn but we are saving quite a bit. We would have been gone already, but we just bought a new boat and will be leaving next season instead. It doesn't take much money to live this life, it takes spirit. If it's what you are dreaming of, do it. Don't dream your life, live your dreams.

On another note, we know a women that is 66 years old that left Boot Key last year and just made landfall in New Zealand single handed, so it can be done.
Old 28-12-2013, 04:21   #17

Not to dissuade one from their dreams but if to stand on the bow of a 25' makes the outboard cavitate you may want to think about getting in physical shape. If you don't know the diff 'tween a fo'c's'l, a headsail, or a pencil, time to crack those books. Carry on to your dreams lest you rot in place.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 04:26   #18

Boat: Bristol 32
Every where you go, there is water, even if it is just small water. GET A BOAT! A small boat now is even to be preferred. You can learn knots, you can learn about the wind (you'ld be surprised how many can't feel it) you can learn what happens when you run aground, how to tack, how to reach, how to anchor and so very much more. All for less than a decent bike. (Mine was an R60/5) And because the boat is small, (around 15-20 feet, maybe) the consequences of your learning curve will be small.

In any walk of life, whether it's flying, becoming a teacher, a doctor or yes, even sailing, ya gotta climb the curve. There are no short cuts, and no substitutes. Get a small day sailer, and get started.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 05:17   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

I agree, if you are locked in for the next 10 years at work, get a small boat and start your training now. By the time you get to the finish line, you'll either know enough to head out on a cruising lifestyle, or know it is not the life for you.
Old 28-12-2013, 05:49   #20

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

My wife made me go cruising ( I really liked my job!) at 55. I am 62 sitting in the bahamas looking at the Gemini 105 catamaran that arrived for the 8th or 9th year from the Boston area. The owner is an 84 year old lady who gets her grandkids and a few others to crew.

Start early and small ....get some sail time in.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 06:14   #21

Boat: Skookum 53'

I'm sure she really had to twist your arm.
Old 28-12-2013, 06:18   #22

Go now, while your liver can still process rum and your pisser works like it should.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 06:18   #23

Boat: hunter 376

Lots of good advice here. My wife and I began sailing almost 4 years ago, but, like you, our jobs keep us as fair weather, weekend sailors, but with a "plan" to enjoy a sailing lifestyle in middle to old age and retirement. Learning to sail is a lot like serving an apprenticeship in the trades: an introductory course, about 4 years of sailing experience, and you become an entry-level, but competent sailor, with many years to go to refine and improve skills. You should start now if you want to gain enough experience to become a skilled and competent sailor in the next few years. Look for a local sailing co-op as a fantastic way to share in the cost of sailing, while sailing with people of many experience levels. Good luck.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 06:30   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

When you have to ask you're too old.
Old 28-12-2013, 06:34   #25

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you are on insulin, blood thinners, pain killers (not the drink), have had joint/bones replacement and get tired easily... you'll need a different plan. Age has no limitation is pursuing your dream. You must be in relatively good health to sail the seven seas. Good luck!

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...
Old 28-12-2013, 07:04   #26

One thing I have noticed is the older sailers seem to be more active and healthier than their land bound peers. Must be all the extra activity, where even making a sandwich can be a feat of endurance.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 07:15   #27

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
One thing I have noticed is the older sailers seem to be more active and healthier than their land bound peers. Must be all the extra activity, where even making a sandwich can be a feat of endurance.
Or you might have confused the correlation for cause and effect.
Old 28-12-2013, 07:17   #28

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

WINNING QUOTE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
Go now, while your liver can still process rum and your pisser works like it should.
Old 28-12-2013, 07:25   #29

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Ask Jeanne Socrates how young you have to be to sail around the world.

http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?nid=98940
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 06:37   #30

Thanks for all the replies . . . each has been helpful in its own way.

A couple of brief re-replies:

At the moment, it would be hard for me to get into a boat at any price. My wife has been seriously ill for a number of years, and all our resources are required to deal with the attendant problems. Part of the reason I am considering sailing as a future hobby is because it is very unlikely she will survive until I retire, though she has already outdistanced all the estimates so far. Also, this was the main reason I had to give up my 2-wheeled adventures. This situation and recent developments in our economy have forced me into a completely defensive posture for the time being, and I know I'm not the only one. One never knows what opportunities might present themselves, however.

Of course, one never knows what 10 years will bring. Even if I started doing all the right things today to make something like this happen, there are a thousand things that could happen before then that would kill the plan. The point of the question was to see if anyone had actually done something like this late in life and been successful at it. If this doesn't turn out to be a short-lived state of insanity on my part, I didn't want to spend the next 10 years planning on doing something that was just completely unlikely to be successful, and breaking my wallet and my heart in the fatal collision with reality.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote