Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 17:29   #1

How often do people really replace their rigging holding mast

Some say it should be replaced every 5 years but I don't think many
do that. I wonder if people really do it. That is a large cost of owning
a sailboat over a motor boat looks like when you are in the 60ft- 70ft range I would think.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:34   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Say what? I think 10 to 12 depending on what you do? No one says 5 years. Unless its silly string.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:58   #3

Re: How often do people really replace their rigging holding mast

Offshore in the tropics check yearly and figure on replacing after 10 years. Weekend sailors in more northern climes can often get double or triple that. Freshwater probably has the original rigging no matter the age.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 19:09   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Mine is getting replaced next week it is 19 years old and still looks new! Would probably go another 5 years but not chancing it. We sold a Bombay 31. That had 30 year old rigging and when inspected they said " appears" very good serviceable condition. It is still sailing on its original rigging
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 20:09   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Our 1981 J/36 still has the original rod standing rigging, except for the forestay. When we added roller-furling three years ago we found out that the forestay had a kink in it near the top, so we replaced it. We don't know how long the kink was there. We're raced the boat hard for more than a dozen years, including beating 30 miles into 30 knot Nor'Easters, and heading out in 40 knots of wind to see how fast we could go. (12.5 with just a reefed main). We do inspect the rig carefully each season, but 30 years may be getting to the point where it's time to replace the shrouds too.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 21:01   #6

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

From what I've heard some insurance companies require either replacement or inspection every 10 years or so. From a safety point I'd say it would matter more what the environment is, the wear on the fittings, the wear on the wire and whether its all 304 or 316 stainless.

When I did new standing rigging last summer I was able to get the lengths pre cut and shipped through seco south for about .80$ a ft. The biggest part of the cost would be the fittings, staset or norseman fittings really add up but they're reusable so its essentially a one time cost. Swagged or nicopress fittings are cheaper but need to be replaced with the wire and have their own drawbacks.

I did the standing rigging for my 26ft for about 500$. Cheaper than 10 years worth of gas for a motorboat.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

It is not quite so that 'nobody' does. We did.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:29   #8

Mine has twenty years on it. At the last rigging inspection, the found one minor crack in one fitting (that may have been there for years) and it was replaced. For coastal cruising, I'm not going to replace it. But, when I get ready to head offshore again, it's on the list to replace.

I was on a 26 footer that got dismasted from a rigging failure once in 25 knots of wind at three am in the morning. It was not fun.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i wm seriously wondering if the recommendation for changing every 5 yrs was made by a hungry rigger.
in 1990 i was advised to change my rig every 20 yrs or when a nylon stocking, when run the length of the cable, snags on a hook.
i see no reason to change it out in less than 20 yrs unless you do find a snag--then change that cable and move on..and do carry spares.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29   #10

I replaced by lowers... or one side when I had a hard sail from LIS to Bermuda on one tack. There were a few strands at the lower swage which had cracked.

That was about 20 years ago. Haven't replaced any since. Boat is not pushed and rigging is way over sized.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:14   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I bet it greatly depends on "who" is doing the recommending and "how" the boat is used.

Just like that sticker they put in my car when I get the oil changed that says change it every 3000 miles. Which is only if I do stop & go, in the heat, while towing a trailer.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:13   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I think I've got everyone beat on this score:

This is the original standing rigging for my 1973 Viking 33. It's 1/4 inch SS 7x19, very typical. I sent it off to be replaced at age 39. Being in fresh water and inspecting it closely convinced me that the rigging was sound since I bought the boat in 1999.

But I also thought: "hell, the boat turns 40 this year...how should you celebrate that?" So she's getting new rigging.

By contrast, my steel cutter will get new rigging prior to going offshore, even though the "old" 25 year old rigging looks fine and will be brought along as spares. The difference is that the stakes are higher offshore, the mast in question is deck- and not keel-stepped, and in some cases you just want to roll back the odometer to zero.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27   #13

Well glad to know the rigging doesn't have to be replaced as often as 5 years sounds like. Just good to inspect it every year I guess.
For just coast sailing around Florida it should last a long time maybe 20 with
no problems, just have it check. I would not know what I was looking unless
there was a broken wire. I would let a pro do it.
Seems like the solid rod would last a real long time since salt can't get down between wires like cable.
Good to know it last a long time which ever you have.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38   #14

Boat: Cal 2-27

My cal is 78 and I don't know if it is original on there or not. Probably not original, but could be as I don't know for fact. It looks good, but I know the parts that would fail are not where I can see. I don't have any record of it being replaced, so I can only assume it has not been. I have been doing an entire refit to my boat and have not yet done standing rigging, but when I do....shortly. I will be putting that nice dyneema on there from that colligo place. I did my lifelines to learn the process and really like the stuff. Really like working with it too. Very simple and FUN to do. Great sense of accomplishment working with that stuff. When people talk about stretch, I think they are most of the time talking about working their splices tight and pulling the "rope" taut. The stuff is not actually stretching. After a lifeline or two, you get really familiar with lengths to accomplish your end goal. If you are thinking about replacing at least look into doing it in that dyneema. Won't hurt anything.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:46   #15

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
From what I've heard some insurance companies require either replacement or inspection every 10 years or so.

snip.
Never heard of an insurance company having any type of maintenance requirements.... Just an updated survey is required at start of a new policy with proof that deficiencies identified by surveyor have been corrected.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rigging