My insurance required an inspection of rigging because of age

Old 09-03-2013, 13:16   #17

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: How often do people really replace their rigging holding mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
My insurance required an inspection of rigging because of age
Yours, the rigging, or the boat?

Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 13:31   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
(...) For just coast sailing around Florida it should last a long time maybe 20 with no problems (...)
I would look into the climate thing more closely. Some say ss rigging lasts shortest in hot, humid, salty environment.

If you are always within range of the marina, have good aux power, etc.. then sure there is less concern if things turn sour.

b.
Old 09-03-2013, 17:55   #19

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Yours, the rigging, or the boat?
ALL the above, Some in more detail than others.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20   #20

Boat: Oyster 66

Navtec say with considerable caveats and detailed instruction, very roughly summarised by me for rods that you should inspect closely the ends at a max of 6 years / 40,000 miles and replace turnbuckles at a max of 10 years if they pass at 6. Similar but slightly different for wire. Use and location and boat design (safety factors) have a big influence.

The rig shop advised a thorough polish and die test inspection is just a bit less cost than new cold heads, so it is sensible to re-do all cold heads at 6 years.

http://www.navtec.net/%5Cassets%5Cim...ng-Service.pdf
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13   #21
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

My CAL28 is a 1986 model year.... It was rigged heavy by the PO for racing. Other than the hydraulic backstay adjuster is is all original. It survived a knock-down a few years back..... I figure that was test enough.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46   #22

I think most people who spend a lot of time on their boats, and self-inspect their rigging know when it's time to get it replaced.

On the dismasting I was in. We were delivering the boat and we had some real questions about the rigging, just from looking at it. We stupidly decided it would make the trip.

When in doubt, there is not doubt, is the best policy. Trust your instincts.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:07   #23

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I think the boats on the Great Lakes only replace if there is damage. Many very old boats here with as-new shiny rigging. The few cables in the rigging refuse bin at the marina all look good except for mechanical damage at the terminals. I'd hate to have to replace our 3/4" standing riging!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03714.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	56580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	56589  

Old 10-03-2013, 10:31   #24
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

All I can say is that my last boat still had the orginal rod rigging on it after 23 years, and my current boat still has its' orginal wire rigging after 12 years.

Of course a year here is only 5-6 months and the boats mainly are only used on the weekends.

I don't think years are the right measurement method for rigging. Probably better method would be something like miles/hours of boat operation at hull speed!
Old 12-03-2013, 21:16   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter

There are far too many variables to state simply - change rigging at a particular age. But inspect every year for any ocean going use makes sense. But how many folks know how to inspect and do it from absolute top to bottom? Interesting example - we handspliced all our rigging for Taleisin from top quality 316 stainless steel bought (at extra expense) from a British company that used only diamond dies for drawing the wire. We had used their wire for Seraffyn and it lastd beautifully for almost 8 years under our owner ship, then another ten for subsequent owners. Well, on Taleisin's wire we never once saw a bit of rust, no signs of any problems . But after five years, when Larry was doing the once a year inspection and also varnishing the mast, he noticed some black dots on the splices right wire at the top of the mast. He asked me to send up a magnifying glass. Turned out there were lots and lots of tiny pits on the upper ends of several shrouds. Of course we re-rigged before we sailed south from Sydney Australia bound for Tasmania and then Western Australia. In Sydney we met Joe Henderson, a wonderful professional rigger and showed him one of the pitted bits of wire we'd kept on board. "Did you happen to sail up around the Volcanos of Vanuatu?" he asked. "Nope but sailed right next to White Island Volcano on our way here. It was putting on a real show," Larry replied. "Sulfur - really eats away at steel."

I think the idea of running a nylon stocking over every inch of the wire is a good start. Just as important, check the swages carefully and with dye. But I also think I would replace the headstay inside any cruising roller furling jib every three to five years if you are out cruising, especially in the trades. This is where we have seen a lot of problems. The weight of the gear - sail, lines, foil moving around often causes work hardening right where the wire comes out of any swage.

We wrote a bit more about this in one of the cruising tips on our website. You can read it at -
http://www.landlpardey.com/Tips/2008/June.htmlg
Old 13-03-2013, 09:45   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
There are far too many variables to state simply - change rigging at a particular age. But inspect every year for any ocean going use makes sense. But how many folks know how to inspect and do it from absolute top to bottom? Interesting example - we handspliced all our rigging for Taleisin from top quality 316 stainless steel bought (at extra expense) from a British company that used only diamond dies for drawing the wire. We had used their wire for Seraffyn and it lastd beautifully for almost 8 years under our owner ship, then another ten for subsequent owners. Well, on Taleisin's wire we never once saw a bit of rust, no signs of any problems . But after five years, when Larry was doing the once a year inspection and also varnishing the mast, he noticed some black dots on the splices right wire at the top of the mast. He asked me to send up a magnifying glass. Turned out there were lots and lots of tiny pits on the upper ends of several shrouds. Of course we re-rigged before we sailed south from Sydney Australia bound for Tasmania and then Western Australia. In Sydney we met Joe Henderson, a wonderful professional rigger and showed him one of the pitted bits of wire we'd kept on board. "Did you happen to sail up around the Volcanos of Vanuatu?" he asked. "Nope but sailed right next to White Island Volcano on our way here. It was putting on a real show," Larry replied. "Sulfur - really eats away at steel."

I think the idea of running a nylon stocking over every inch of the wire is a good start. Just as important, check the swages carefully and with dye. But I also think I would replace the headstay inside any cruising roller furling jib every three to five years if you are out cruising, especially in the trades. This is where we have seen a lot of problems. The weight of the gear - sail, lines, foil moving around often causes work hardening right where the wire comes out of any swage.

We wrote a bit more about this in one of the cruising tips on our website. You can read it at -
http://www.landlpardey.com/Tips/2008/June.htmlg
Great, real life tips, Lin. If one in 100 cruisers thought sailing near a volcano would eat their rigging, I would wager a rum against it. The point of the forestay wearing faster than other stays is also well-made, and argues that if you have to bring only one spare stay for emergency purposes, it should be that one if you are a considerable distance in time and NMs, as can happen, from a reputable rigger.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:06   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop

Two cautions:

1. do not tape your rigging screws (it leads inexorably to accelerated crevice corrostion); and

2. beware of stainless steel rigging -- especially Navtec rod rigging -- even if it looks good.

Here's what happened to my stainless fittings after less than 15 total years in salt water:

CreviceCorr

Bill
Old 13-03-2013, 10:09   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. It is as said above that particles present in the air, volcanic or otherwise (e.g. industrial), may cause faster corrosion. We are in Canary Islands where dust from nearby Sahara desert, loaded with all kinds of stuff, settles down. Anywhere there is a piece of rope tied round your shrouds (e.g. a laundry rope), there is pitting. We have to avoid tying things to our standing rigging, and when this cannot be avoided, move them about now and then.

On a lighter note, I think SS rigging care boils down to:

- boat at the dock, not yours: do not replace,
- boat at the dock, yours: replace only if found guilty,
- a sailing boat, not yours: recommend inspecting at regular intervals,
- a sailing boat, yours: replace all critical pieces at regular intervals.

Cheers,
b.
Old 13-03-2013, 19:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

For me, when the Insurance Company tells me to, or every 10 years - whichever is sooner. Your mileage may vary
Old 15-03-2013, 19:06   #30

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Two cautions:

1. do not tape your rigging screws (it leads inexorably to accelerated crevice corrostion);
Bill
That was my thinking. Salt dribbling down the strands & concentrating inside the taped part where together with lack of oxygen would lead to crevice corrosion.

Tags
mast, rigging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: