Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 05:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
How nervous should I be?

My boat is on the hard and the batteries are disconnected. Next week the boat will be put back in the slip. The weekend after that Is the first time I can get to the boat and get the electricals back in order and get the bilge pump powered.

So how nervous should I be about the boat in the water with no bilge pump for a few days? I will be at the boat this weekend to do final maintenance and check all the seacocks are closed.

There has never been water entering the hull from rain, although the weather will be mostly dry next week.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 05:48   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: How nervous should I be?

Sounds like you'll not be there when the boat is splashed, but I can only assume that the yard will check the boat as they put her in and make sure nothing is leaking.

As to how nervous you should be, that's like asking what the probability is that you'll have a car accident tomorrow. We can't answer that. Chances are exceedingly good that if there are no leaks when the boat is splashed that none will develop over the course of the following few days, but we don't know the boat and can't give you advice.

For peace of mind you could ask the yard to check on the boat once a day while you're not there, or ask them to hook up the batteries so the bilge pump operates. What you do is a matter of your appetite for is probably very minimal risk, but risk is risk.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 06:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

If you have done your due diligence i would not be overly worried.. as I write this my bilge pump switch is not working.. have a new one but have not yet installed it.. I know my boat inside and out.. i know the condition of my through hull fittings and hoses.. i know its neighbours.. the dock.. and the other know, known risks..
If you have to ask the question then i would ask the yard to keep an eye on her..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 13:41   #4

Yeah, I should relax. The boat looked fine and all seacocks are closed. Thanks for the replies!
Old 18-03-2017, 14:21   #5

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

One would assume that the yard is going to start the engine to get the boat to its slip. To do that they would have to hook up the batteries. Just ask them to flip the on switch for the bilge pump.
Old 18-03-2017, 15:08   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

sailstoo,

FYI, you've made an incorrect assumption. One of the marinas we stay at some of the time uses their work boat to move people's boats, so no start up of the vessel need be involved. The custom where you leave your boat may be different.

We don't know, either, if Dr. D left his engine water intake seacock open, or not, or other details about how the boat was left, except that the batteries are disconnected. No idea of how much charge they have, how long the boat has been out. There are way too many variables for an outsider to figure out how much risk is involved. He, presumably, does know all that, and therefore is in a better position to decide whether or not to take the risk than we are.

Ann
Old 18-03-2017, 15:23   #7

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
How nervous should I be?

Don't forget any sea cocks, drain plugs if you have, etc Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	143406
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:29   #8

All the seacocks are closed: Today I double checked them.

The marina uses a workboat to move boats from/to slips. The crew doesn't go into the boat.
Old 18-03-2017, 17:41   #9

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I know at our marina, we will not start up the boat. It gets moved to the slip with the work boat. The owner may have winterized his own boat or whatever, so we will not perform spring launching engine service until they sign a contract to that effect. We do however check all the thru hulls and let the boat sits in the slings at the water line for a few minutes just to check all is good. The boat does get plugged in though and if you ask for battery hook up we will do that too as should most marinas.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:52   #10

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

My marina checks stuff as they don't want a sunken boat
Old 19-03-2017, 08:10   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

I reecommend a solar panel to keep the batteries charged all times. My boat is on the hard and all emergency systems aka. bilge pumps are online.

So if you are not sure - connect the batteries and make sure th pumps are working
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:19   #12

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Just confirming what others have noted, here in Connecticut, yards move our boats w/o ever using the engine. Been at 3 different yards over the yrs and all routinely check stopcocks to insure they aren't frozen prior to splashing. I had a catalina 27 for about 5 yrs, which never had a bilge pump with a slowly leaking (more than it should) stuffing box, which required me to "visit the boat" 1-2x/week to hand pump out the bilge. Never an issue albeit my current boat has an electric pump w/ sensor and connected to shore power.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:31   #13

If you know your boat well and the seacocks are closed prior to launching I wouldn't worry.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:31   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Will the yard be able to get inside the boat? I would not worry about seacocks but I might give some thought to the condition/age of the stuffing box on the prop shaft.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:06   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
My boat is on the hard and the batteries are disconnected. Next week the boat will be put back in the slip. The weekend after that Is the first time I can get to the boat and get the electricals back in order and get the bilge pump powered.

So how nervous should I be about the boat in the water with no bilge pump for a few days? I will be at the boat this weekend to do final maintenance and check all the seacocks are closed.

There has never been water entering the hull from rain, although the weather will be mostly dry next week.
Call the marina and express your concern. They don't want a reputation of boats sinking at their dock. Unless you left her with open seacocks and disconnected I can't see a problem.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote