Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17   #16
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How Much Wind is Too Much Wind ?

Mate, you don't mention if you're sailing alone, or with a club. If you're with a club, then GO. How else will you learn??? Your fellow sailors will be sure to shout useful advice at you when you go wrong. If the other boats aren't out, then get an experienced sailor to come with you as crew, just to build confidence.

Just stay away from the rocks. The sea won't harm you!

Personally, we rarely take our beachcats out in less than 25 KNOTS now... 25 kmh is just so lame!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:57   #17

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft

No, not sailing with a club unfortunately. Also forgot to mention without a motor Last time i went out lost one of my lines that lifts the boom, had to paddle back had search and rescue crue stop and ask me some questions felt a bit embarasing.

As an update i have wimped out, to my regret. When i got there it was pretty windy ... (to mention i dont have any reefing points in my main) the weather turned out amazing hours after i wienered out.
Andrei123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:42   #18

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei123 View Post
Last time i went out lost one of my lines that lifts the boom, had to paddle back had search and rescue crue stop and ask me some questions felt a bit embarasing.
That's not embarrassing. When I was a teenager I went out sailing in my laser (1 man dinghy, no motor) one evening and it got quite still as the sun set on the river, so I'm a little late. After a while I hear an engine and see some lights headed towards me. A searchlight finds me and I'm blinded. Through a loud speaker I hear "This is the Coast Guard. Are you Brob?". "Yes", I yell back.
"Your mother called".

I wanted to die.

Quote:
As an update i have wimped out, to my regret. When i got there it was pretty windy ... (to mention i dont have any reefing points in my main) the weather turned out amazing hours after i wienered out.
There is always another day. Give all your lines/halyards and attachment points a good look see too if you haven't already. Things on a boat have a habit of breaking when you least want them too.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:59   #19

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
I am waiting to go out this weekend on a sunday. The weather report says 25kmh winds west. My boat is a small dinghy 16 foot, my skill level is not the greatest. I usually go out when the weather report states 10kmh. Any ideas if 25k winds would be too much for a boat like mine ?
So how did it go?
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind