Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2012, 14:07   #1

Boat: BAVARIA 45CRUISER
How much will that cost me? p

what is the best way to have boay delivered from US. for example New York? how much will that cost? what is the best way/ can i shiped in a contener or somethink? im looking for 33-40 foot boat in US and i want to have it delivered to England(UK) or Spain(e
ES)

any ideas?
thanx for any help.
Kind regards.
Michael.
ALIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:37   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: How much will that cost me? p

Dockwise is a popular choice for yacht transport. See their web site for details Yacht Transport | Boat Transport.

Alternatively you can hire a delivery captain to bring it across. Rates are negotiable. If you purchase through a broker then you should ask them to recommend someone they know and trust.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Michael,

I am not sure why you want to buy in the US for delivery to Europe. Absent a very specific design, there isn't much to recommend a US built boat of a European one.

That being said...

I it is small enough to fit into a container then you are looking at about $3,000 in shipping. Plus whatever it takes to get it in the container, the custom cradle, shipping to and from the port, and commissioning when it gets where it's going. I would guess that this would run $4-6,000 minimum, plus the shipping costs.

If that's not an option, but it still may be possible to send it as deck cargo. Figure everything is the same, but shipping will roughly double. So $10-12,000.

If it is still to big to go as deck cargo you can put it on a float on vessel. These are rediculously expensive for small boats. Last time I looked it was around $30,000 for a 40' from the west coast of America to Spain. No idea for east coast to Spain. These costs can vary widely though depending on when in the year the transport is, when you book, how full the ship is already, fuel costs, ect...

To hire a profesional crew will run you about $450/day plus food, and travel expenses. Figure 3,000 miles on a 5kn average boat, means something like 25 days at sea. So $12,000 in crew costs. Plus another $4,000 to fly them home, and likely another $2,000 in food and other supplies. Say roughly $20,000 plus whatever broke. And a trip like this on a newly commissioned boat will certainly have something break. Hopefully nothing too important or expensive.

These are really rough numbers, and may be out of date, but I would best guess your the cheapest possibility to be $10,000 a more reasonable number to be $20,000 and an upper limit of around $30,000.

Note that trying to find a crew to sail across the Atlantic on a 30-35' boat may be a challenge. Unless it was a proven distance design I would be very hesitant about a trip like this on a boat that size.

Like I said, I would take a second look at european boats, unless you are interested in a specific hull from a specific designer. Even then I would contact him about having built locally to eliminate transport costs.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 15:05   #4

Boat: BAVARIA 45CRUISER

Thank You for all yours advices ... im novice and that has to be my first boat... anyway... so what is the best and where to look what is the best website to look for boat in europe? for that moment all i see is that the prices are much better in USA(cheaper) ...?
ALIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 15:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Why not buy a home-grown Contessa 32 by Jeremy Rogers? Used ones are available and new ones are still being made, their reputation is superb.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote