Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-09-2010, 23:58   #16

very roughly for me (in the tropics)
4 litres (1 gallon ish) per person per day for drinking when not sailing
8 litres (2 gallons ish) per person per day for drinking when sailing

about 400 litres (100 gallons ish) per month for showers and cooking (2 people- not washing up, not washing clothes)

Don't skimp on the drinking water - especially hot humid areas - your body sweats, but it doesn't cool you, so it keeps sweating until you dehydrate. Remember, if you feel thirsty, you are already starting to dehydrate. If you're using RO or distilled water it will leach out the minerals and so mineral substitutes are a good idea. Even if it does turn your pee green.

Old 30-09-2010, 00:13   #17

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
One time when I was a young man I sailed from Hawaii to California with two other guys, and the trip took 24 days, 14 hours. We had two 50 gallon tanks of fresh water (converted beer kegs), and we made the trip on one tank. When we decided to open the second tank we found that salt water tainted the tank, making the water not to good for drinking but good enough for cooking.

Old 30-09-2010, 18:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
very roughly for me (in the tropics)

4 litres (1 gallon ish) per person per day for drinking when not sailing

8 litres (2 gallons ish) per person per day for drinking when sailing
vs.

"...Health authorities have historically suggested at least eight glasses, eight fluid ounces each (168 ml), of water per day (64 fluid ounces, or 1.89 litres),[2][3] and the British Dietetic Association recommends 1.8 litres.[1] The United States Environmental Protection Agency in risk assessment calculations assumes that the average American adult ingests 2.0 litres per day.[3]
..."

Definitely, some people sweat more, others less, and then there is the mentioned relationship with body weight.

I also remember reading somewhere that in the hot clime we should avoid coffee and alcohol as they take out more water from the body than they deliver.

b.
Old 30-09-2010, 18:47   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Alcohol and coffee are diuretics, otherwise they make you want to piss it out. They are still positive for total liquids retained. Can't remember the exact number but believe that only about 25% of the liquid intake of coffee or booze is pissed away and 75% retained.
Old 30-09-2010, 18:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Alcohol and coffee are diuretics, otherwise they make you want to piss it out. They are still positive for total liquids retained. Can't remember the exact number but believe that only about 25% of the liquid intake of coffee or booze is pissed away and 75% retained.
This clears my conscience a bit ;-)

b.
Old 30-09-2010, 19:17   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
generally work on 5 liters per day per person,washing in salt water,and have at least 100% reserve on long voyages,in seperate tanks,also religously switch off pressure pump when not in use.
argued with owner over buying 70liters of mineral water on recent biscaye crossing,2 days out had pipe fail during the night and presure pump and auto bilge pump happily emptied the single 1000 liter tank overboard........ fortunately we were able to stop in ireland and tighten up the hose clamp that the owner had forgotten about and fill the tank.........would have been a different story if it had happened a day later and had i not insisted on having a reserve.......
Old 30-09-2010, 19:28   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

On a solo non stop from St Martin FWI to UK I had 240 litres in my tank... after a 47 day passage I had around 25 litres left.
Fresh water showers were twice a week (every 3rd day) from a solar shower.. the rest of the time was salt water showers/douches.
I drink serious amounts of coffee... around 15 mugs a day (6+ pints)... with an occasional tea for a change... don't do water neat...
Most stuff I cook such as rice, lentils, curries and stews absorb the water so theirs little or no waste or, a delish gravey... more fluid intake.
Dishes washed in salt water and a wipe down with fresh water dunked cloth...
Mark thats an excellent idea with the spray bottles...
Canned fruit is also a great source of extra fluid.... and thats how you should be thinking...
Its the fluids you need to have lots of... BEERWINE....
Oh... okay... get some water as well if you must

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 21:34   #23

Boat: not much yet
I also believe in boiling my water to make sure it is safe, and then adding a brown coloring agent to it so I know it is okay!
Old 01-10-2010, 23:31   #24

Brown coloring agent does work well. Add enough, soon enough, and you have no water worries what so ever.

I left with full tanks a week ago, and they are still full. It's been raining hard every night. The bimini makes 5 to 10 gallons each night. I've nowhere to put it. It's electricity I'm short of. Wish there was some way to charge the batteries with that noisy sparky lightening that comes along with the rain.
Old 02-10-2010, 16:08   #25

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
One time when I was a young man I sailed from Hawaii to California with two other guys, and the trip took 24 days, 14 hours. We had two 50 gallon tanks of fresh water (converted beer kegs), and we made the trip on one tank. When we decided to open the second tank we found that salt water tainted the tank, making the water not to good for drinking but good enough for cooking.
I should also state that we only used fresh water for drinking and cooking, and a very occasional sponge bath. We had some beer to drink, but none of use felt like beer for the entire passage.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:23   #26
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Have as many fresh water showers as you want! - as long as they are from the spray bottle!
You can be so tight sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The other thing to make fresh water last longer is to plumb salt water into the kitchen sink (or all sinks!). I wash dishes in salt and spray with fresh
I have been trying to dissuade my Marc from doing this - and am winning so far. Don't you just end up with barnacles in the sink pipes, just like the head pipess?

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 13:51   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
I have been trying to dissuade my Marc from doing this - and am winning so far. Don't you just end up with barnacles in the sink pipes, just like the head pipess?
Not if one rinses with fresh afterwords. Besides barnacles would prefer to be submersed so up to the waterline the boat will get'm anyway.

When one does their bottom paint they can shove a rag on a wire coat hanger coated with paint up the thruhull fittings.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:00   #28
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I struggle to drink more then 2 litres a day on a recent transatlantic, only drink more if working hard physically. Dont like plain water much.

Dave
Old 04-10-2010, 17:13   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I got a boat show coming up at the end of this month. Ya'll wouldn't mind if if print this thread and use it at the show. I'm sure it would be good for a half dozen sales. <grin>
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 19:09   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The salt shower and a fresh wash down will not be such a great idea if you have very long hair. My mate uses more shower water to rinse her hair than I need for my whole shower.

She wants a military cut but I say no, let it be and I will get you the water no matter what.

b.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: