Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 08:45   #31

Boat: Newport 30 mk11
Re: How much Wake is "No Wake"?

I am the first sailboat when you come into the marina and I am the one doing the screaming. How about coming and cleaning up the mess when your wake puts my dinner on the floor. If the first boat you pass when you come in is rocking its not because I'm getting lucky. The rocking is caused by your wake and yes some of you are in sailboats. So slow down and especially when the tide is low, if you have large displacement.
trapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:47   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
When I come down the fairway, I leave the engine at idle and put the engine in and out of gear, resulting in a speed much lower than the cruise speed at idle.
Is it really expected that one would do this for several miles, or even ten's of miles, of ICW?

Slower than idle speed for us would be almost below the speed necessary to maintain steerage at all. Really. Idle itself is about 1kt.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:54   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

My rule is 4 knots but if I see my wake not disturbing anyone I will kick it up a little bit. Agree with those who subscribe to "common courtesy".
Below idle is in and out of gear but I doubt that is necessary very often.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:55   #34

Colemj
If you dont know how to travel below an idle speedI would suggest you take a captains course on piloting a boat. Once you know how travel below an idle I'm sure your docking skills will improve immensely.
Old 26-06-2015, 09:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
Colemj
If you dont know how to travel below an idle speedI would suggest you take a captains course on piloting a boat. Once you know how travel below an idle I'm sure your docking skills will improve immensely.
Thank you for the advice. Docking is no problem for us with two engines spaced 20' apart.

We are talking about traveling below idle speed for many miles, not moving a boat around in marinas.

I suggest you may want to actually leave a marina once in a while or take a reading comprehension course.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 26-06-2015, 09:09   #36

Actually the launches and the dinghies make much worse wakes in the anchorage than the typical sailboat motoring in the fairway. And those guys are not slowing down...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:17   #37

Colemj
Please go back and read your first post about how one travels below an idle speed.I think my comprehension was just fine. I also have traveled almost 5000 miles since last September in my sailboat. So dont go telling me about leaving the dock. How many miles miles have you logged since last September? I have a blog and Facebook posting to prove it. I also have never been accused of going to fast.
Old 26-06-2015, 09:27   #38

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Everyone should look at their own wake and surroundings, then apply Golden Rule. Apply Golden Rule?
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
How does one travel BELOW idle speed?

Mark
I believe this sums it up. The "BELOW" is the key to your statement. And yes i see you have traveled some miles. So I have to wonder why you would make a comment like that.
Old 26-06-2015, 09:33   #40

How much Wake is "No Wake"?

Again with the comprehension. "Travelling" below idle speed is different than "moving" or "maneuvering" below idle speed.

Along the same comprehension line, anything you want to know about us and our travels is located in my signature line. We don't feel the need to "prove" anything to anyone.

Mark

Old 26-06-2015, 09:42   #41

I guess sailing is not allowed through these no wake stretches of the ICW?

There is a boat sailing by me right now that is going much faster than the power boat it is passing. The power boat is throwing a bigger wake. There is no discernable wake at all from the catamaran, and it is doing 6-7kts.

Mark

Old 26-06-2015, 09:43   #42

The discussion has covered the topic well. In point of practice, pleasure boats routinely idle down to 2-3 mph in 5mph zones for minimum wake. Even so, they upset docked boaters on the BBQ. A 16' speedboat at 'idle' will leave enough wake to swamp a sculling boat, so there will always be yelling involved. A small speedboat actually makes bigger waves on any throttle whatsoever vs. up on plane because the hull is pushed 'through' the water not riding over it (a tunnel boat has virtually no wake at 90mph, since it rides on a cushion of air.

Commercial boats observe 'minimum steerage way' greater than 5mph or operate via tug/tow. A 360' submarine will lose steerage and 'drift' at <5 mph (hence the tug).

No wake zones are enforced by law enforcement via the rules of common sense. If your wake is upsetting docked boats enough to cause potential damage, expect flashing lights and a ticket. If you are at 5 mph in a no wake zone and you pass a sculling boat and don't 'slow down' and shift/drift by resulting in swamping the scull, expect yelling, gestures, and potentially flashing lights and a ticket EVEN IF WITHIN POSTED SPEED LIMITS.

Sailboats hurtling through mooring areas at 6 knots+ on a windy day are 'operating recklessly' and expected to douse sail to carefully negotiate though an obstacle field.

Protocol is, in fact, loose sail/shift neutral upon approach and/or at closest point if in doubt or it helps the affected boater(s). The smaller the boat, the more the expected courtesy. Commercial ships are basically exempt due to confined maneuvering. A USN Aircraft carrier has sunk boats with waves while stopped at the pier simply by dropping anchor. If it was you, you were clearly too close (which is also illegal).

In the end, if what you are doing looks stupid to a 3rd party observer, chances are it will to the USCG/State Police, Harbor Patrol, or USCG Auxiliary. Being surprised by the results is always the operator's fault.

-Dana Beausoleil
USN/USCG Ship Inspector
dbeausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
Everyone should look at their own wake and surroundings, then apply Golden Rule. Apply Golden Rule?
bailsout
You are absolutely correct. People need to get out of their own little world and see how they are affecting the lives and property of others. The Golden Rule should be part of everyday life for all events.
I too should think before I leave a smart a** comment. I would like to note that while participating in this forum for the last hour I have had to make two more boats aware of their wakes.
Old 26-06-2015, 09:49   #44

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I believe that "No wake" and "minimal wake" are constitutionally vague and therefore probably up to interpretation by the courts. I'm betting not many people have challenged it because its a cheap ticket. We were recently heading north on the ICW through Daytona (an area that is notorious for no wake and speeding tickets) while a sheriff boat was behind us. Not "following" - just happens they were behind us. We were doing 5 knots in the boat through the bridges and not really putting up a large wake... and they did not say anything. So, I think most sailboats don't really have to worry about the wake thing - my dinghy puts up a much larger wake.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:58   #45
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
. How much wake is no wake?

As for government set No Wake signs I respect those as they are likely there for a reason.

In the rest of the world their ain't too many no wake signs. Which is good because my dinghy has an 18HP outboard and I don't slow down for nuffin'!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote