Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 17:28   #1
TOM
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On our yacht Byamee
Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Posts: 316
Images: 1
How much to offer.

I have seen a very nice Sun Odessey 49 2005 {not the deck saloon version} for $220,000 .The boat has everything on board and has hardly been used it presents as new and could be circumnavagated as is . It has been for sale for a few months the owner has droped the price down from $250000 to $220000. Is offering $160000 rude does anyone know what these boats really sell for ?
__________________

__________________
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:00   #2
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I have seen a very nice Sun Odessey 49 2005 {not the deck saloon version} for $220,000 .The boat has everything on board and has hardly been used it presents as new and could be circumnavagated as is . It has been for sale for a few months the owner has droped the price down from $250000 to $220000. Is offering $160000 rude does anyone know what these boats really sell for ?
There's a saying when buying a boat "Offer half the asking price and don't be surprised if you get it". As long as your price appears serious, the vendor will either accept or counter offer. If you start too high you can't go lower so I think it's always better to lowball. Having said, if it is good boat that is listed at "street" value you are unlikely to get it for more than say 10% off the asking price unless the seller is particularily desparate imo.
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:12   #3
TOM
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On our yacht Byamee
Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Posts: 316
Images: 1
Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
There's a saying when buying a boat "Offer half the asking price and don't be surprised if you get it". As long as your price appears serious, the vendor will either accept or counter offer. If you start too high you can't go lower so I think it's always better to lowball. Having said, if it is good boat that is listed at "street" value you are unlikely to get it for more than say 10% off the asking price unless the seller is particularily desparate imo.
Thanks you have brought up an interesting point "street value" how does one asertain ''Street value" . The brokers we have been dealing with are saying offer 10% less then asking price I think they are dilusional.
__________________
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:20   #4
Registered User
 
Astrid's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Posts: 1,885
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: How much to offer.

Your offer sounds reasonable to me, although Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm might have recommended your first-born male child.
__________________
'Tis evening on the moorland free,The starlit wave is still: Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill.
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:44   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Posts: 789
Re: How much to offer.

Just checking what other models of the same year are listed for and there must be a reason this boat is almost $100,000 less than others of the same model. Now I get that those are asking prices, but if these boats are selling for around 230-290 then his current pricing seems to be more than fair. Looks like he already has it realistically priced and at an even deeper discount, what amounts to a ridiculously low ball offer (if the boat is in good shape) I imagine your offer will be looked at as a joke and you will never hear from them at all.

Keep us updated, i am interested in hearing what happens.
__________________
S/V Ceol Mor
42 Nassau Undergoing refit in Kemah, Tx
Our little blog has moved: www.theceolmors.blogspot.com
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 19:12   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California Coast
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Posts: 680
Re: How much to offer.

There are many reason that someone sells. Some sellers are highly motivated and are up against a financial wall. Others may only sell if they get the best price possible. It is hard to tell the level of motivation until you start the game.
You can always go up from your initial offer. Not as easy to go down from your initial offer. Don't let the broker control you. If they are the listing agent their fiduciary responsibility is to the seller not the buyer.
__________________
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 19:19   #7
Registered User
 
Sailing Cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Home Port: West Palm Beach, Live: Seattle
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Posts: 315
Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Don't let the broker control you.
Spot on. Boats, like houses in the upper range, are not moving quickly. Try your offer and see what flies. My ex-father-in-law was Dutch, and taught me allot. Make the offer.
__________________
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 19:21   #8
TOM
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On our yacht Byamee
Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Posts: 316
Images: 1
Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Just checking what other models of the same year are listed for and there must be a reason this boat is almost $100,000 less than others of the same model. Now I get that those are asking prices, but if these boats are selling for around 230-290 then his current pricing seems to be more than fair. Looks like he already has it realistically priced and at an even deeper discount, what amounts to a ridiculously low ball offer (if the boat is in good shape) I imagine your offer will be looked at as a joke and you will never hear from them at all.

Keep us updated, i am interested in hearing what happens.
You need to look a little harder there a few sub $200,000 and a couple under contract for less then $ 170,000 . ......no joke
__________________
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 20:09   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: How much to offer.

You've just improved the seller's chance of getting a good price and decreased your chance of getting a good deal by alerting thousands of fellow cruisers to the availability of the boat. You should instead hire a buyer's broker to answer your questions and keep your negotiations private.

Keep your cards close... don't show your hand to everybody.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 20:17   #10
TOM
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On our yacht Byamee
Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Posts: 316
Images: 1
Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You've just improved the seller's chance of getting a good price and decreased your chance of getting a good deal by alerting thousands of fellow cruisers to the availability of the boat. You should instead hire a buyer's broker to answer your questions and keep your negotiations private.
128 people have viewed my post ...plus you . I hardly think that my innocent question will effect the secound hand boat market to such a degree! .
__________________
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 20:41   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
128 people have viewed my post ...plus you . I hardly think that my innocent question will effect the secound hand boat market to such a degree! .
I offer constructive advice... you respond rudely. Good luck.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 07:06   #12
Registered User
 
stillbuilding's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

I offer constructive advice... you respond rudely. Good luck.
Does not sound rude to me - just mild factual response.
__________________
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:48   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mt Pleasant SC
Boat: Hunter 326
Posts: 21
Re: How much to offer.

When I offered 25% below asking the broker tried to urge me to 10-15%. I went with the 25% expecting a counter. Broker made the offer, I now have a great sailboat with very little use. You'll never know what the sellers bottom price is unless you try. In my case the owner was paying to maintain a boat he only used once a year.
__________________
Kjretlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 14:06   #14
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Re: How much to offer.

If you have not already found what these boats are actually selling for, it's time to do your own due diligence and get that info. Keep in mind that sometimes even the alleged actual selling prices are inflated when brokers insert that info.
__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 14:10   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You've just improved the seller's chance of getting a good price and decreased your chance of getting a good deal by alerting thousands of fellow cruisers to the availability of the boat. You should instead hire a buyer's broker to answer your questions and keep your negotiations private.

Keep your cards close... don't show your hand to everybody.
WOW, I was reading this thread and when I saw this comment and the response I had to comment. You are spot on. I have been sorting through various boats myself. I swear, either I am very good at picking winners (having 0 boating experience) or what you say is completely true because I started noticing that almost every boat that I posted for feedback, including every boat in the US, sold within a month after I posted and had long discussions with others about them.
I have now learned to keep my mouth shut on boats that I am very seriously considering. I now ask more general questions and avoid posting the precise boat.
In fact, one of the owners of one the boats, the "Sopressa", which was thoroughly discussed on one of my threads actually posted that he had just boat it and thanked the posters for all the great info they gave on my thread. Could be some weird coincidence, but I have learned my lesson on that. I was pretty bumbed seeing a couple of my short listers sell.
This was very good advice to the OP I wish that I had been warned.
__________________

__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
offer

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.