Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 15:08   #181
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: How much say do women really have

P.S. Have you seen how many hulls the America's cup boats have?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 16:06   #182

Boat: Various

Wifey B: I hear you guys talking about flipping and sinking and one is better or our boat isn't going to do either and all this stuff and just got one comment. The problem is anyone who thinks his or her boat is invulnerable. It may be the boat and it may be the crew. Doesn't matter. The problem is with those who don't take precautions or don't have any thought as to what they'll do when all heck breaks loose. We're powerboaters and we know they can sink and flip. We know there are some sailboats more ocean worthy perhaps than our boat. However, what we see way way too much and far more than we see it with powerboats is sailboats sinking or upside down or otherwise requiring assistance at sea. Why? A lot of times it's owners who think my boat won't this or that and who aren't prepared or take unreasonable chances. A Boston Whaler won't sink, but you try to cross an ocean in it and you may end up in a lot of trouble.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 01:08   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

[QUOTE=44'cruisingcat;1876297
Anyway, as usual this is yet another thread intended to be derogatory to multihulls. Like the 100% motoring ********.

ie. REAL MEN wouldn't buy one. It's only wimps who do because they are forced to by the women. That's ******** too.[/QUOTE]

LOL...... easy there Trigger.
A slight correction regarding the other thread. It was actually a genuine enquiry coming from the wife of the poster who had observed the phenomena of Cats not using the sails in Corsica area. I know the couple personally and as they are SERIOUSLY considering moving from an Oyster to a CAT, it was in no way derogatory. Sometimes the way things are phrased is the issue and sometimes its our sensitivity regarding a subject.

The Med is a massive Charter area with a lot of Cats and sometimes it does look like Cats never put their sails up. Depends on the winds and schedules. A few weeks ago, in Palma, I watched 5 cats in a fleet relocate from the marina and they motored out and continued motoring all the way to their new port. It was nice winds but the sails did not go up.

It does get irritating when a poster lets a couple of ill informed comments hit the forum and state it it as fact. Its even worse when they try and defend the statement when remonstrated with. However this is life and a lot of people never let facts get in the way of their prejudice.

I would choose a CAT over a monohull for a variety of reasons. They are my reasons and does not make the Cat BETTER than a monohull, it makes it fit my purpose for my price and my choice. Never having been a proponent of 'mine is bigger than yours' mentality, Im not fettered by comparisons on a point by point score card, I like what I like.

Not keen on large amount of heel for long periods of passage, I discovered the Cat solved that problem for me. I like width as well as length, another problem gone. Always a lover of personal space, separate hulls is nice. I got a lot of space in a small area, even in 28 foot a Cat feels bigger.

The crucial question is whether its a womans boat or not. Well Im sure it is for lots of reasons, however I would be first in line to get one, as it looks like lots of other men would be too.

I insist people must purchase what they want and like. Its not my boat. Its not my choice and for that reason it does not affect me. We all share the waters and what we float in is personal.

In my opinion, one of the most gorgeous boats ever designed for speed and passage is the Macgregor 65. It won every race it ever entered. If you read about it, it is universally slated for build quality, this and that, space etc. However just like an old Ferrari, " It handles like a brick, the brakes dont work, it slides sideways in corners, the gearbox breaks and the seat is so poor it bounces your testicles-but I love it to pieces and its gorgeous!"

If I had a Mac 65 and the finances to rectify any problems found, I would love it. The storage issues would be resolved and personal touches would be added. I LIKE the space below. Admittedly it is plastic, but like the Ferrari that is part of the charm. Compare it to almost anything in the same length and design and its sparse. However, it was also one third of the price. Its also everything I dont want in a liveaboard.....but I like this.

Only, I can only afford one boat at a time and the Mac is not it for now. If I did have one, I can guarantee the remarks and comments would all be negative even though I would have it perfect.

You just cant win.

https://vimeo.com/3695120
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 02:28   #184

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
is the Macgregor 65. It won every race it ever entered.
Aww, come on Weavis... don't let your dreams get in the way of reality.

The M-65 was a very fast boat for the money at the time, but your statement is not realistic.

I remember a M-65 in the SF bay area years ago, named Zeus... it broke so many bits in so many races... didn't win them all, may not have won any... it was long ago and my memory isn't that good, but sheesh... "won every race entered"...

Jim
Old 26-07-2015, 03:37   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Aww, come on Weavis... don't let your dreams get in the way of reality.

The M-65 was a very fast boat for the money at the time, but your statement is not realistic.

I remember a M-65 in the SF bay area years ago, named Zeus... it broke so many bits in so many races... didn't win them all, may not have won any... it was long ago and my memory isn't that good, but sheesh... "won every race entered"...

Jim
According to MacGregor it did.
Man. I cant believe a boat builder would fib!

Now I will have to double check......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 17:45   #186

Boat: Between S'pars

Well, still reading this thread, but I got a bit of a "whose in charge" event today from the wife while browsing boats online. Was looking at this amazing thing when I hear over my shoulder,
"...What the heck is THAT?... if you buy THAT I'm divorcing you!!!"

(looking at a sweet, pretty, super glossed up, beautiful round-shaped, wineglass...
double ended old WOOD BOAT with
...lots of varnish.

Sooo...
I guess that end's THAT argument over who really is in charge.

!
Old 25-06-2016, 18:37   #187

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedParrot View Post
Well, still reading this thread, but I got a bit of a "whose in charge" event today from the wife while browsing boats online. Was looking at this amazing thing when I hear over my shoulder,
"...What the heck is THAT?... if you buy THAT I'm divorcing you!!!"

(looking at a sweet, pretty, super glossed up, beautiful round-shaped, wineglass...
double ended old WOOD BOAT with
...lots of varnish.

Sooo...
I guess that end's THAT argument over who really is in charge.

!
Just as much any man!

if you treat people as EQUALS, there would be less strife in the world. Man, Woman, Black, White, Asian, Arabic. Why not Just Human? Do you sh#$can your son because he'd rather own an RV than a boat? No? because you love him? I gave up the sea for 8 years, because it scared my wife. She has sense passed away and I am now back on the sea. I gave it up because I love my wife.

I've known of many couples that married out of Lust or convenience and some out of love. the former either live in strife or are divorced and the latter are still happily married. Do they like all the same things? No, but they love each other and that concours all.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 18:41   #188

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Oops I didn't see that last statement on your post.

But in general my post still stands, to the thread title that is.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 21:56   #189
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Late to this thread. We chartered a cat in Belize. After that, she said no f'ing way was she going to own a cat...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 23:05   #190

My first wife once said, if you buy a boat I will divorce you. Well she divorced me an I bought a boat(Goodonya). Wife number 2 says I need to sell the boat, she wants a bigger boat.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 07:47   #191
cruiser

Mr Cate, there is a thread at sailing anarchy about the fate of what is prob the same Zeus

In fla, given away via craigslist, was in tow, got loose, hung on a dock. Guess weaves could go get it
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men