Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 13:08   #136
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 596
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I was nice talking to the KK lady, but might not be as nice telling you what I think of that entire campaign.

Actually, I did get a response from my email to KK. It was polite and well stated. I still disagree with the approach but understand it from a marketing view and curious to see if it works.
Oh, I well remember reading your opinion on the slogan.

Which is why I could not resist.

Oddly, I just happened to notice the slogan in a KK advertizement in the last few days too.

The word does kinda bother me, unfortunately, I would bet the slogan and campaign will work because I suspect there is some truth behind the new word. I wonder if Sheworthy has been picked up by the Oxford Dictionary?

Later,
Dan
__________________

__________________
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:41   #137
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi BandB - nice posting.
We have spent quite some time in the Middle East - the views of some of these countries regarding women is somewhat disturbing when it comes to recognising the ability of the female of our species.
At the end of the day, officially, there needs to be a captain - what actually happens on board is not always what we write.
Wifey B: We haven't been to the middle east. Frankly, we're a lousy fit there for many reasons. I'm sure they'd disapprove of us as we would of them, not a match made in heaven. Under current circumstances I don't see us cruising to the middle east. If the climate changes one day, then maybe. But today, we're sort of like the antithesis of them.

Europe and the Med are on our plans for future years. I'm guessing maybe 2018 or 2019. We have so many plans....a lifetime worth of them and always adding. Isn't that the way it should be? Always looking forward to the future.
__________________

__________________
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:51   #138
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Oh, I well remember reading your opinion on the slogan.

Which is why I could not resist.

Oddly, I just happened to notice the slogan in a KK advertizement in the last few days too.

The word does kinda bother me, unfortunately, I would bet the slogan and campaign will work because I suspect there is some truth behind the new word. I wonder if Sheworthy has been picked up by the Oxford Dictionary?

Later,
Dan
Wifey B: Well, I expressed my opinion to them, they explained their point of view. End of story. I went on to other things.

I do think sometimes advertising and marketing people guess wrong as to their customer's perception. I would love to see that program before a focus group. But somehow there are a lot of truly offensive ads that regularly hit the market. In the past, the advertisers didn't hear the response. Now they get blasted in social media and often end up pulling the campaign.
__________________
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 14:13   #139
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 596
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...
I do think sometimes advertising and marketing people guess wrong as to their customer's perception. I would love to see that program before a focus group. But somehow there are a lot of truly offensive ads that regularly hit the market. In the past, the advertisers didn't hear the response. Now they get blasted in social media and often end up pulling the campaign.
Agreed.

A few years ago, one of the Disney cruise ships pulled into a Muslim country in north eastern Africa, I forgot which one. When it was time for the ship to depart, an officer was sent to clear out with the local authorities. The ship was NOT allowed to clear out because the officer was a woman and a male officer had to be sent to clear out.

Later,
Dan
__________________
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 14:55   #140
Registered User
 
Prairie Chicken's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada or Spain
Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Posts: 1,114
Images: 1
Re: How much say do women really have

I was the captain of our a/c; I had more time. He is the captain of our boat; he has more experience. Both of us defer to any safety concerns of the other, and decisions are made in concert. However, I am in the camp that there can really only be one captain at a time. There may be a hand-off of command, not unlike the Pilot Flying/Pilot Not Flying, but there can only be one captain.

As far as the hazards of single engine vs light twins, I agree with Robert that light twins, often with low-time pilots, is a recipe for trouble. I like twins, and redundancy, but I like fly-away capability, and that of course comes with big costs.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming... I'd say we have equal say in choosing the boat. Either has veto power. He has more say on some aspects, me on others. Both of us veto'd cats.
__________________
Prairie Chicken
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`· ...¸><((((º>
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 15:05   #141
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: How much say do women really have

I wonder how women feel about this thread. Tell me and I will listen and not try to fix any of it!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:40   #142
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,453
Images: 69
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Since you are so desperate for a win I'll agree with you that no matter how many engines you may have on your boat including the outboard and genset they only burn fuel when you actually run them, obviously this fact went right over my head.

Apparently it did.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 08:05   #143
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Owning 2 engines in a boat are no different than in an aircraft. When you maintain 2 engines the costs are double that of looking after one. The fuel burn is twice as much and to replace them is double as well...this is pretty simple math.
I know this post will be ignored, since ignoring those with actual experience has become a hallmark of CF...

Having actually owned a boat with two engines for the past 12 years, I can say from actual experience that almost all of our motoring is on one engine. That means that while each maintenance period costs us double that of a single engine, those maintenance periods come at twice the length of time as a single engine. I have actual maintenance logs that show this clearly.

Similarly, the fuel burn is the same (again, actual logs available). Since they get half the hours of use and wear of a single engine, the replacement time should also be similar (no logs available, since engine replacement has not occurred). Heck, replacement price of two smaller engines may even be similar to one large one, but I don't know prices.

Robert, how old was your engine and how many operating hours did it have when it needed replacement?

As for redundancy/safety, I can't understand even the germ of the argument where two engines are less redundant than one. I certainly don't understand how aircraft have any similarities to boats in this regard. Again, from actual experience when losing one engine at a bad place/time (broken throttle cable), being able to immediately switch to the other engine saved the boat. I don't see how that is possible with a single engine.

I have never met anyone who, after losing an engine when it was needed (why else would you be running an engine - unless you are a catamaran, of course), said to themselves "I'm so glad I didn't have another engine to use".

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 09:16   #144
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: How much say do women really have

I wonder what women would prefer when it comes to a rapidly sinking yacht? A mono hull that stays level which in calm water she can step up into the life raft when it's time to abandon ship or a multi that sinks on one hull and will turn turtle any minute?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:00   #145
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,925
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I know this post will be ignored, since ignoring those with actual experience has become a hallmark of CF...

Having actually owned a boat with two engines for the past 12 years, I can say from actual experience that almost all of our motoring is on one engine. That means that while each maintenance period costs us double that of a single engine, those maintenance periods come at twice the length of time as a single engine. I have actual maintenance logs that show this clearly.

Similarly, the fuel burn is the same (again, actual logs available). Since they get half the hours of use and wear of a single engine, the replacement time should also be similar (no logs available, since engine replacement has not occurred). Heck, replacement price of two smaller engines may even be similar to one large one, but I don't know prices.

Robert, how old was your engine and how many operating hours did it have when it needed replacement?

As for redundancy/safety, I can't understand even the germ of the argument where two engines are less redundant than one. I certainly don't understand how aircraft have any similarities to boats in this regard. Again, from actual experience when losing one engine at a bad place/time (broken throttle cable), being able to immediately switch to the other engine saved the boat. I don't see how that is possible with a single engine.

I have never met anyone who, after losing an engine when it was needed (why else would you be running an engine - unless you are a catamaran, of course), said to themselves "I'm so glad I didn't have another engine to use".

Mark

Mark,
My engine was over 20 years old but fairly low time. Sometimes its not just the total hours but the environment these engines operate in plus not using an engine much is not that good for it either.
A lot of what you have to say makes sense and I concur but not everyone operates their engines just like you nor would have the same experience. Actually most of the Cats out there are charter or have been charter and I have never seen a charter boat using one engine, its usually both balls to the wall.
As to it being a nice thing to have a spare engine at certain times, well that's hard to argue against and I won't however we shouldn't loose the perspective that we are first and foremost a sailboat and as sailors we should posses the necessary skills to operate our boats without the need for auxiliary engines.
As to the relationship between twin engine aircraft and boats I agree with you but I don't think I brought that up in the first place. Cheers, Robert
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:13   #146
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: How much say do women really have

Some of you people must really abuse your engines if you worry so much about them that you really believe you need two.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:19   #147
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Mark,
My engine was over 20 years old but fairly low time. Sometimes its not just the total hours but the environment these engines operate in plus not using an engine much is not that good for it either.
A lot of what you have to say makes sense and I concur but not everyone operates their engines just like you nor would have the same experience. Actually most of the Cats out there are charter or have been charter and I have never seen a charter boat using one engine, its usually both balls to the wall.
As to it being a nice thing to have a spare engine at certain times, well that's hard to argue against and I won't however we shouldn't loose the perspective that we are first and foremost a sailboat and as sailors we should posses the necessary skills to operate our boats without the need for auxiliary engines.
As to the relationship between twin engine aircraft and boats I agree with you but I don't think I brought that up in the first place. Cheers, Robert
Thanks Robert. I asked the age/hrs question because I am curious as to when most small diesels need replacing. Ours are 17yrs and 2500hrs but still seem to operate like new.

I agree on the perspective of being a sailboat (even though we are cat, so must rely on motoring), however, the reality is that having all the sailing skills in the world won't help you a bit when navigating a current-filled cut with no wind, or navigating a marina's fairways and docks, or many other similar situations where one relies on their engine. Even the Pardys got towed around in these situations.

Pretty much all catamaran cruisers we personally know motor on one engine in all but a few circumstances (punching into big seas, navigating a channel with strong current against, docking, etc). These circumstances are usually short-term in use. I don't see how charter operation has any relevance here.

I also think that those here with your perspective that "most of the catamarans existing are charter boats", and the opinions formed by such, have only been living in areas where most of all the boats existing are charter boats. Our experiences over the past 6-7 years have been the opposite - lots of catamarans and no charter companies within a thousand miles or more.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:31   #148
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,925
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Thanks Robert. I asked the age/hrs question because I am curious as to when most small diesels need replacing. Ours are 17yrs and 2500hrs but still seem to operate like new.

I agree on the perspective of being a sailboat (even though we are cat, so must rely on motoring), however, the reality is that having all the sailing skills in the world won't help you a bit when navigating a current-filled cut with no wind, or navigating a marina's fairways and docks, or many other similar situations where one relies on their engine. Even the Pardys got towed around in these situations.

Pretty much all catamaran cruisers we personally know motor on one engine in all but a few circumstances (punching into big seas, navigating a channel with strong current against, docking, etc). These circumstances are usually short-term in use. I don't see how charter operation has any relevance here.

I also think that those here with your perspective that "most of the catamarans existing are charter boats", and the opinions formed by such, have only been living in areas where most of all the boats existing are charter boats. Our experiences over the past 6-7 years have been the opposite - lots of catamarans and no charter companies within a thousand miles or more.

Mark
Mark,
I guess my perspective is somewhat tainted as we have spent the last 3 years in the Med and now the Caribbean and the Cat charter business is alive and well in both places.
When we sailed the South Pacific we saw few Cats but the ones we did see were owner/operators.
Australia was where we really saw lots of Cats, most owner/operators.
West Coast Canada/USA they are as scarce as hens teeth.
Cheers, Robert
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:41   #149
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Thanks Robert. I asked the age/hrs question because I am curious as to when most small diesels need replacing. Ours are 17yrs and 2500hrs but still seem to operate like new.
I don't feel that either the 17 yrs or the 2500 hours mean anything really regarding the life of your engines. What matters is how your have operated the engines during those years and hours and whether you have done basic maintenance on them. More engines die for low hours that high hours I believe because people are all proud that they "barely use" their engines meaning they run them so short of a time that they don't even get up to temperature etc.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:35   #150
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: How much say do women really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't feel that either the 17 yrs or the 2500 hours mean anything really regarding the life of your engines. What matters is how your have operated the engines during those years and hours and whether you have done basic maintenance on them. More engines die for low hours that high hours I believe because people are all proud that they "barely use" their engines meaning they run them so short of a time that they don't even get up to temperature etc.
There are so many factors in determining how long an engine lasts. It starts with the manufacturer and the specific engine, it then builds largely on the matter of use and care and there's no formula to calculate a perfect combination because it's so dependent on details. Then there's luck. There are those who do everything right and have a failure and some who abuse one, don't maintain it, and have no problems.
__________________

__________________
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online Courses By Women for Women SevenSeasU Commercial Posts 0 29-01-2015 06:01
For Women, by Women Livia Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 61 11-04-2013 22:03
Women, What Did Your Man Say . . . capcook Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 1 02-02-2011 22:35



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.